Switch Leg Back Walkover?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

rdavis4

Cheer Parent
Oct 12, 2015
Total newbie question here....my CP came home tonight and told me her coaches had her switch her leg in the air in her bwo during her tumbling pass. She showed me, and I've seen several of the youth 1s doing this. I always thought it was a mistake lol because I don't think it looks as pretty. But she was excited because she was the only one out of the 3 they asked to be able to do it and according to her, it's worth more points. Truth to this? What's the benefit of doing it this way vs. the other?

When I was on level 1 our coaches only made us do the leg we started on. I don't believe it's worth more points but I could be wrong.

If done correctly, it can increase the tumbling difficulty score. But having one kid on the team do it while everyone else does regular BWO will likely not affect the score at all.

If done correctly, it can increase the tumbling difficulty score. But having one kid on the team do it while everyone else does regular BWO will likely not affect the score at all.
I'm thinking the hope is at this point to start teaching them all? It's a tiny team, so I'm guessing they would like to eventually have them all doing it by next year for mini? It seems the majority of the youth team does it that way. Thanks for the info; I had no idea it was harder!

Total newbie question here....my CP came home tonight and told me her coaches had her switch her leg in the air in her bwo during her tumbling pass. She showed me, and I've seen several of the youth 1s doing this. I always thought it was a mistake lol because I don't think it looks as pretty. But she was excited because she was the only one out of the 3 they asked to be able to do it and according to her, it's worth more points. Truth to this? What's the benefit of doing it this way vs. the other?

I don't think it's worth more points, but it could make a difference if they are tumbling out of the backwalkover/frontwalkover not to have to shuffle step.

I don't think it's worth more points, but it could make a difference if they are tumbling out of the backwalkover/frontwalkover not to have to shuffle step.
Her pass is round-off, fwo, cartwheel, bwo. Her gym requires all tumbling skills on both legs, and since my daughter is ambidextrous she picked that up easily. She originally did have that shuffle step thing going on, but has fixed that. She didn't mention them changing it in the rest of her routine, only her tumbling pass. I have no idea why, and I don't dare ask haha!

I guess the best question to ask is there a reason to use the switch leg technique over a regular backwalkover? It sounds like if it's something the whole team is doing, then it increases the difficulty. I have noticed several of our youth 1 girls doing them this way, so I'm guessing it's something our gym would like for everyone to do. I personally don't think it looks as nice as a normal bwo, but I know nothing about how any of the points, difficulty, etc work!

I guess the best question to ask is there a reason to use the switch leg technique over a regular backwalkover? It sounds like if it's something the whole team is doing, then it increases the difficulty. I have noticed several of our youth 1 girls doing them this way, so I'm guessing it's something our gym would like for everyone to do. I personally don't think it looks as nice as a normal bwo, but I know nothing about how any of the points, difficulty, etc work!
It's just to add creativity and difficulty in a division where there's not a lot of wiggle room. There's only so much you can do in L1, so coaches have been throwing in skills like switch leg walkovers and back extension rolls in an attempt to gain a few extra tenths of a point.

It's just to add creativity and difficulty in a division where there's not a lot of wiggle room. There's only so much you can do in L1, so coaches have been throwing in skills like switch leg walkovers and back extension rolls in an attempt to gain a few extra tenths of a point.
Thank you! That makes sense!! Especially with our team; we haven't won anything yet this year, but our overall difficulty is def. higher than other teams. But we have about 4 or 5 of the 13 struggling with the tumbling, and they had some struggles with the pyramid early on. We've come in second every time, and I know the scores have been very close.

I agree with this. I was under the impression that it doesn't affect difficulty but may increase choreography or overall impression if it eliminates the shuffle step. Personally, I don't spend time working them unless the athlete has a perfect bwo and needs to switch legs in order to do their cartwheel/fwo out of the bwo.

Our y1 does it

Like they do a regular bwo
Then a switch
Then a regular one

Here is a snippet of them

My friend coaches that team and he said they are still working on getting straight legs all the time.
They all have straight legs but when they perform some just kick them over. Lol I like the switch personally but I don't care eitheir way

And like the above poster said it is definitely just for creativity. And if they can have super straight legs and do it all together it looks amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our y1 does it

Then a switch
Then a regular one

My friend coaches that team and he said they are still working on getting straight legs all the time.
They all have straight legs but when they perform some just kick them over. Lol I like the switch personally but I don't care eitheir way

And like the above poster said it is definitely just for creativity. And if they can have super straight legs and do it all together it looks amazing

Glad my CP's Y1 team will not (most likely) compete against them! :D

Our y1 does it

Then a switch
Then a regular one

I think you've seen Lexi's bwo....her legs are pretty straight on that. I'm thinking they are just working with her on it so that she will be more in line with the mini/youth next year since she's got all her l1 skills. And like someone else said to throw it in. Her coach is working on it with her right now pretty hard and mentioned her legs have to be perfect or they won't be able to add it.
Then again, I know absolutely nothing lol, but that's my guess now that I somewhat understand the reasoning.

Back