High School Team Gifts/psych Ups

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 13, 2010
Hi all,

I thought there was already a thread out there for this but I can't find it anywhere, and the coaches forum wasn't tremendously helpful. I am actually looking for a couple inexpensive, creative and fun ideas for my high school cheer team and possibly my all star team.

For my high school team, I want to do something special for them before their comp next week. We've done the note with the lucky penny, I've done the bags with all the random items and the poem and tying it all together, I've given them stuffed animals. ANYTHING ELSE YOU GUYS HAVE DONE that will show them just how special they are to me?

ALSO, I am looking to do psych up gifts for our rival teams at our league competition... something more than just lollipops or a sign - thoughts?

Come on Fierceboarders help a coach out!!

I'm reposting this from a team mom thread awhile ago & adding on....these are all things i've made or been given over the years and hopefully it can get your creative juices flowing :)

Here's my list of goodies I've made/received:
-Team picture with decorated frame(teammates can sign the frame also)
-Team hair ribbons or team bows (hair ribbons = cheaper and easier but get the same excitement typically)
-Crazy shoelaces
-Team fleece scarf (great for competitions in winter)
-Team Knee Socks
-Team "Spa" Towel (towel with a pocket sewed on & filled with body wash/travel stuff,rolled up like a sleeping bag and tied with tuile)
-Personalized Team Shower Towel(towel with elastic and a velcro square at the top so you can wear it as a dress.Name was embroidered on it. Great for overnight stuff or camp when you have multiple cheerleaders sharing one bathroom)
-Cheek Tattoos that go with your team theme
-Mini teddy bears with felt team uniforms(felt and fabric paint uniform)
-"Magic" Spirit dust( a little jar of mixed glitters and a sticky label on it:"Sprinkle a pinch on your shoes, and good luck will appear, you just need to believe, and success will be here")
-Travel tags (SO CHEAP & EASY! I make them every season before we fly somewhere. Make a 2 by 3 design on the computer..one for the back and one for the front of the tag. I found clipart of a cheerleader doing a scale, used photoshop to make her wear our team uni, and then saved 3 versions of it(changed the hair color each time to blonde hair, brown hair, black hair). Printed them out according to how many girls of each hair color were on the team, cut them out and used double sticky tape to put both sides on cardstock. Wrote the name of the girl on their corresponding hair color tag.Then used self laminating strips from walmart to seal the tags, hole punched the top and tied a ribbon through.)
-Hershey's Candy Bar cover (make on computer, replace front with the team name and the ingredients section with team members names)
-Team pillowcases
-Team mini travel pillows(found cheap mini pillows in team color, fabric glued a big bow to it and painted the kids name on it)
-Decorated water bottles
-Team Charm for a necklace or bracelet(special if there is a special meaning to the charm)
-Team keychain(ours was a pretty key to "unlock our potential" at the first competition....now keychain bows are big on this board that match your team bow)
-Homemade fortune cookies(with your own team fortune of course and dipped in chocolate and team color sprinkles!)
-Team colored popcorn mixed with team M&Ms(expensive but not when you split one bag of m&m's into 36 bags with popcorn as the filler! A popcorn place by us did them for 1 dollar a kid.Yummy!)
-Door knob hangers (for hotels, but don't put names, just team and gym beacause hotels don't allow names outside doors for security reasons)
-Competition signing shirts(plain white shirts that everyone on the team signs and writes words of encouragement/inside jokes/etc....then have the kids change into them after competing for kids from other gyms to sign! We even ahd a competition for who could get the most signatures from different gyms. So fun and a great souvineer)
-Glow necklaces from the dollar section of target("it's your time to shine bright")
-LOTS of FOOD/CANDY with cheesy phrases....
(red hots=we're red hot, milkyways=we're outta this world,minty candy="mint" to be champions,blow pops=blow away the competition,pop rocks="___"rocks, strawberry candy=we're the "berry" best,pay day= do your best and it will pay off, Reese's Pieces= you're an essential piece of this team,Kisses=kiss the competition goodbye,ring pops=ring in a winning preformance,Twizzlers/licorice=rope in first,gobstoppers=nothing will stop ____today ,mini candy=there's nothing mini about our talent,swedish fish=the judges will get hooked on your preformance,cupcake=winning for you will be a piece of cake,razzle dazzle candy=dazzle the judges,pixie sticks = stick your skills to come out on top)

Some filler stuff for bags also that hasn't been mentioned yet:
a fabric rose from the fake floral department of a craft store (we were given them on a competition right before valentines)
play jewelry
a cookie (star or megaphone shaped) with team colored icing
a travel game book if you have to drive/fly together including a crossword puzzle or word search with everyone's team name (all of these and alot more can be made custom online on teacher websites. the crossword is neat because everyone's name fits together so you could do some sort of "every piece of the puzzle is essential" slogan)
assorted hair ties/clips
lip balm/gloss
those cheap plastic star sunglasses (in the party section)
team lanyard (if they have to wear their school ID around their neck like I did)
A cheer rubber duckie for good luck (sounds cheesy i know but my team was obsessed with them....it turned into a tradition each year that we got them before nationals in our goody bag and girls had a collection of rubber duckies haha):http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/b...&sd=Cheerleader+Rubber+Duckies+Assortment#RL6
-oriental trading company has a lot of random neat stuff as well for fillers

The rubber duckies are great! They were our "lucky ducks." Last year, the ONLY comp our team didn't win was when I forgot the stinking duck!@ Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

The rubber duckies are great! They were our "lucky ducks." Last year, the ONLY comp our team didn't win was when I forgot the stinking duck!@ Not that I'm superstitious or anything.
thats cute! i have one 2 i keep it by my bed so i have cheerful dreams lol

Thank
I'm reposting this from a team mom thread awhile ago & adding on....these are all things i've made or been given over the years and hopefully it can get your creative juices flowing :)

Here's my list of goodies I've made/received:
-Team picture with decorated frame(teammates can sign the frame also)
-Team hair ribbons or team bows (hair ribbons = cheaper and easier but get the same excitement typically)
-Crazy shoelaces
-Team fleece scarf (great for competitions in winter)
-Team Knee Socks
-Team "Spa" Towel (towel with a pocket sewed on & filled with body wash/travel stuff,rolled up like a sleeping bag and tied with tuile)
-Personalized Team Shower Towel(towel with elastic and a velcro square at the top so you can wear it as a dress.Name was embroidered on it. Great for overnight stuff or camp when you have multiple cheerleaders sharing one bathroom)
-Cheek Tattoos that go with your team theme
-Mini teddy bears with felt team uniforms(felt and fabric paint uniform)
-"Magic" Spirit dust( a little jar of mixed glitters and a sticky label on it:"Sprinkle a pinch on your shoes, and good luck will appear, you just need to believe, and success will be here")
-Travel tags (SO CHEAP & EASY! I make them every season before we fly somewhere. Make a 2 by 3 design on the computer..one for the back and one for the front of the tag. I found clipart of a cheerleader doing a scale, used photoshop to make her wear our team uni, and then saved 3 versions of it(changed the hair color each time to blonde hair, brown hair, black hair). Printed them out according to how many girls of each hair color were on the team, cut them out and used double sticky tape to put both sides on cardstock. Wrote the name of the girl on their corresponding hair color tag.Then used self laminating strips from walmart to seal the tags, hole punched the top and tied a ribbon through.)
-Hershey's Candy Bar cover (make on computer, replace front with the team name and the ingredients section with team members names)
-Team pillowcases
-Team mini travel pillows(found cheap mini pillows in team color, fabric glued a big bow to it and painted the kids name on it)
-Decorated water bottles
-Team Charm for a necklace or bracelet(special if there is a special meaning to the charm)
-Team keychain(ours was a pretty key to "unlock our potential" at the first competition....now keychain bows are big on this board that match your team bow)
-Homemade fortune cookies(with your own team fortune of course and dipped in chocolate and team color sprinkles!)
-Team colored popcorn mixed with team M&Ms(expensive but not when you split one bag of m&m's into 36 bags with popcorn as the filler! A popcorn place by us did them for 1 dollar a kid.Yummy!)
-Door knob hangers (for hotels, but don't put names, just team and gym beacause hotels don't allow names outside doors for security reasons)
-Competition signing shirts(plain white shirts that everyone on the team signs and writes words of encouragement/inside jokes/etc....then have the kids change into them after competing for kids from other gyms to sign! We even ahd a competition for who could get the most signatures from different gyms. So fun and a great souvineer)
-Glow necklaces from the dollar section of target("it's your time to shine bright")
-LOTS of FOOD/CANDY with cheesy phrases....
(red hots=we're red hot, milkyways=we're outta this world,minty candy="mint" to be champions,blow pops=blow away the competition,pop rocks="___"rocks, strawberry candy=we're the "berry" best,pay day= do your best and it will pay off, Reese's Pieces= you're an essential piece of this team,Kisses=kiss the competition goodbye,ring pops=ring in a winning preformance,Twizzlers/licorice=rope in first,gobstoppers=nothing will stop ____today ,mini candy=there's nothing mini about our talent,swedish fish=the judges will get hooked on your preformance,cupcake=winning for you will be a piece of cake,razzle dazzle candy=dazzle the judges,pixie sticks = stick your skills to come out on top)

Some filler stuff for bags also that hasn't been mentioned yet:
a fabric rose from the fake floral department of a craft store (we were given them on a competition right before valentines)
play jewelry
a cookie (star or megaphone shaped) with team colored icing
a travel game book if you have to drive/fly together including a crossword puzzle or word search with everyone's team name (all of these and alot more can be made custom online on teacher websites. the crossword is neat because everyone's name fits together so you could do some sort of "every piece of the puzzle is essential" slogan)
assorted hair ties/clips
lip balm/gloss
those cheap plastic star sunglasses (in the party section)
team lanyard (if they have to wear their school ID around their neck like I did)
A cheer rubber duckie for good luck (sounds cheesy i know but my team was obsessed with them....it turned into a tradition each year that we got them before nationals in our goody bag and girls had a collection of rubber duckies haha):http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=42/2155&mode=Searching&erec=6&D=cheer&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=all&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&N=0&y=16&Ntt=cheer&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&x=23&sd=Cheerleader Rubber Duckies Assortment#RL6
-oriental trading company has a lot of random neat stuff as well for fillers

THANK YOU, THANK YOU...this will all come in handy in the future, my lil mini is only six..we have years and years of goodies ahead of us.

We give gifts at the end of the season. Last year we bought little pouches from the craft store and wrote their names on them in puffy paint....they were for them to keep their jewelry in during practice and comps for next season. At Christmas we bought clear tree balls and filled them with different material from the craft store in our schools colors and we wrote the year and our mascot on the outside. Next year we are buying mirrors with magnets on the back (for their lockers) and we will personalize them as well. We usually try to give something useful. Since it's a high school team, they don't have overnight comps, so we are always looking for something else besides luggage tags and pillow cases (although those are super cute!)

Let me know if anyone has any other gift ideas! We were thinking of keychains in the future.

At our last competition of the season my coach brings the team to a non crowded place and we all sit in a circle about 15 minutes before we go and warm up. We talk about the season for a couple minutes then she passes out "Doses of Confidence." They are little bottles of water that she decorates for each girl on the team. It always psyches up everyone before we go on the mat.

To be completely honest the thing our team enjoys the most is food. When they give us food before going on the busses we all get so excited! haha but really our favorite is chapstick! They make us really cute custom ones and everyone uses them. Also we collect pins after every game and before competition that we add to our travel bags. They are always something random too, which makes it more fun. By senior year you can barely even see the top of the bag because its so covered in pins. We also get towels, car magnets, key chains, lanyards ect.

Back