Telling Your Cp They Are Not Going To Fly

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 17, 2012
How do you break it to your cp that genetically they dont have the body type to be the maddie gardner they always thought they could be. Coaching a youth team i had to break the news once and it really sucked just wondering

I would not really explain it like they will never fly. i would just say that there team really needs them as a back or a base because they are strong, and it is the best fit for the team

well if theyre flying already just slowly make your cp try basing and backing or doing other things and tell her she's doing an awesome job at. thats what i did to one of my cheerleaders and it actually worked. . .

I always wondered how flyers are picked. It seems many times they just pick the smallest girls. How about in everyone elses gym?

I always wondered how flyers are picked. It seems many times they just pick the smallest girls. How about in everyone elses gym?

I think it depends on the team, the coach, and the gym. Each team and gym has a different composition of athletes and each coach has a different philosophy. In my opinion, it comes down to 'looking good' in the air. This could mean a variety of different things...
a) A small person, or a skilled athlete, who makes a stunt look effortless;
b) A athlete with gorgeous body positions (small, large; short, tall);
c) A reliable (and skilled) athlete who can handle unpredictable situations;
d) An athlete who is going to stay in the air and pull their choreographed skills.

Any of these categories could belong to the smallest (or not), the most flexible (or least), or the most experienced (or least)... it would vary by size, stunt group, skill, position on the floor, etc., etc. I don't think you can define how athletes are picked to fly.

I always tell our girls that want to be flyers (but cant be) that the team cant just be made up of flyers.. If there wasnt any bases/backs then you couldnt have flyers and you couldnt have a stunt. Everyone has to make up the team.
Even though I think they are dissapointed at first.. they eventually understand.

One of the teams my CP was on gave everyone that had the potential to fly the opportunity! Whoever stayed in the air and had the best body position was selected to fly! They had one young lady that was not small at all, but if she would have stayed up, and it wasn't due to the bases not being able to base her, she would have been selected. She was not consistent w/body control once she was up in the air.

I'm going through this right now with my cp. She was a backspot on her youth team last year, but ALWAYS wanted to fly. This year she's on a senior team, and she's one of the smallest. BUT, my poor baby does not have the body control. She was given the opportunity to fly because she was one of the smallest, but it just didn't work out. She's still at home practicing EVERY day for the "next" opportunity. smh

I'm going through this right now with my cp. She was a backspot on her youth team last year, but ALWAYS wanted to fly. This year she's on a senior team, and she's one of the smallest. BUT, my poor baby does not have the body control. She was given the opportunity to fly because she was one of the smallest, but it just didn't work out. She's still at home practicing EVERY day for the "next" opportunity. smh
My daughter flew from 2005 to 2011! When they took her out of the air b/c the other fliers were smaller, not necessarily more skilled or had better body positioning, I thought she wouldn't like it. But she's adjusted well and is happy that she's not in the air b/c the team she's on now is very high pressure for fliers! Not to mention, she has always had the mindset that no matter where you put her on the mat, she's going make it hot, lol! ;)

My daughter flew from 2005 to 2011! When they took her out of the air b/c the other fliers were smaller, not necessarily more skilled or had better body positioning, I thought she wouldn't like it. But she's adjusted well and is happy that she's not in the air b/c the team she's on now is very high pressure for fliers! Not to mention, she has always had the mindset that no matter where you put her on the mat, she's going make it hot, lol! ;)
I just literally laughed out loud, I LOVE her mind set and wished all cheerleaders had that mindset! That's amazing that she thinks that way. Just thought I'd let you know she is amazing for thinking that way

i agree with previous responses about making other positions sound just as important and desirable.. id also slowly ease her ut of it if shes mainly a flyer currently...

Latest posts

Back