Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

L

Lisa Welsh

Read Full Article...

By Lisa D. Welsh
www.CHEERMaD.com

Colors of Hope
A midst the hot and sticky “TLC Summer; ” as the network of reality show bakers, polygamists, crafters, hoarders and of course Dance Moms calls it, was last night’s debut of CHEER PERFECTION.
I was ready to watch a show about crazy cheer moms, that was the obvious angle. Focused around the tryouts for Youth Silver, a youth level 2 team at Cheer Time Revolution Allstars based in Arkansas, last night’s show depicted, as one reviewer said “ cheerleader moms that make the Tiger Moms look like a gentle kitty cat.”

Alisha, back to camera, owner/coach/cheer mom who scares us.
That notion was on full display when Alisha, a cheer mom who also happens to own the gym, yells to her Allstar daughter Cambry: “If you fall again, I’m going to replace you.”
Last night’s show also included a scene in which another Cheer Mom Bonnie pushes her daughter Elena to perform a move during a tryout. The girl falls, and lands on her head.
“What was the problem? You’d be lucky to get on any team,” Bonnie tells her.
“I don’t want to talk about it,” Elena says.
“Well, I want to talk about it,” her mother replies.
“I was scared,” Elena says.
Explaining why she took such a tone with Elena, the Cheer Mom said, “I expect a lot from my daughter. We spend a lot of money at cheer. And when she did that, I was very upset with her… I expect my daughter to do good. And that was not going to cut it.”

Shaws Cheering Perfection for American Elite Allstars in Ohio
Another cheer mom who takes a much more “real” approach than this reality show is Angela Shaw an active CHEERMaD of four Allstars. After the show aired, Angela posted this on CHEERMaD.com’s facebook thread about the show:
Cheer Perfection? No, should be titled, Cheer Moms a spin-off of Dance Moms. Hate the overplayed parent drama, and the mean coach role, it’s been done already! An encouraging coach, a hard working team, and parents who support their kids and not abandon them emotionally when they can’t do a skill and parents who are nice to each other would be great! But then probably wouldn’t get the drama ratings. Too bad!!! :/
Well there might not be a TLC show about supportive cheer parents, but there’s a blog about them.
Emily McCray, CHEERMaD of “World Champ” Santwon; Debbie Butler, CHEERMaD of former Top Gun/current Trinity Athletics Gabi Butler; and Kristina Parrish, whose daughters Allie and Brooke cheered for Rockstar Allstars; are three women who are defining the phrase “Cheer parents helping cheer parents.”

World Champ Santwon
Emily McCray is helping her son; whose Gym Tyme Coed team won Worlds this year, and is entering his senior year at University of Louisville, establish the World Santwon Foundation which offers cheer camps and clinics throughout the country for $30; not per day, per clinic and camp, to give parents a much need financial break from the high expenses of cheer.
Debbie and her husband John established “H.E.A.R.T. for Cheer,” a nonprofit organization designed to aid in the needs of exceptional athletes experiencing difficult life situations from all around the country.
And Kristina, a four-year pancreatic cancer survivor created COLORS OF HOPE, a new fundraiser although she’s not fundraising for herself. All proceeds from COLORS OF HOPE benefit families undergoing a crisis and cannot pay for cheer.

Kristina Parrish and her family
“I understand that burden of keeping children in a sport they love while the medical bills pile up,” Kristina said. “Our family spent the summer of 2008 fundraising as a way to help pay for cheerleading.”
“The cheer gym, their coaches and their friends provided my daughters with a safe haven from the burden of my fight with cancer. Colors of Hope will support cheerleaders financially, so they too can continue in the sport they love.”
The COLORS refer to the disease or crisis (pink for Breast Cancer; light blue for “THIS TOO SHALL PASS” or purple for pancreatic cancer) that causes the domino effect and makes cheering an “expendable expense” that can be cut.

Royce Tisdale and Gabi Butler, last Sunday before Royce entered hospital
It’s the color lime-green which has brought these three women together. That’s the color of non-hodgkin’s lymphoma, the disease which is throughout 12-year old Royce Tisdale’s body. Before the return of his cancer in May, Royce was a member of American Cheer Extreme’s Junior level 5 team. But instead of at practice, this week Royce is in the hospital where doctors will harvest his stem cells in hopes of replacing the ones that will be wiped out when he goes through chemo later this month.
While many of us were watching TLC’s Cheer Perfection, Gabi Butler with H.E.A.R.T for Cheer and Julian Sammuels, of The World Champ Santwon Foundation conducted two clinics in Virginia Beach and the Colors of Hope luminaries orders were being placed-all ways that cheer parents are helping each other keep their kids in the sport they love so much.
COLORS OF HOPE LUMINARY ORDERS:
Some gyms are able to provide scholarships are waive fees others can not. By raising money with Colors of Hope Luminaries, gyms can be paid directly on behalf of the athlete: for tuition, uniform or travel costs so that the child can continue to cheer.
We are conducting a LUMINARY DRIVE next week and I am looking for a parent from each gym to work with me. If next week is too soon, then we can coordinate your own drive this summer.
That parent will be asked to coordinate the drive at your gym-it’s easy…these are so beautiful they “sell” themselves.
The LUMINARIES are in honor of/in memory of someone who has been stricken. Luminaries cost from $10 to $25 depending on if the person would like us to gift wrap and send the luminary to them or if they just want the luminary to be lit at COLORS of HOPE parties held throughout the season.
As a participating gym, cheerleaders from your gym will be given priority consideration should a need arise.
email me to coordinate: [email protected]

A special TEAL Luminary will benefit Cheer Fusion which saw its gym destroyed by a tornado last weekend that sent two parents to ICU where they remain.
If you are one of the rare, lucky ones who has been spared a family medical emergency, you can help support other parents, perhaps ones who are dealing with their child being bullied by buying a 975 Saves Lives Luminary.
Colors of Hope Charity Events will be held throughout the cheer season.
*The first one will take place on Thursday, July 26, 2012 at the Eden Roc, Miami Beach from 8-11 PM EST.

Location of the first Colors of Hope Charity Event
Multi-colored luminaries will line both the Eden Roc’s private pool and garden during the Colors of Hope Party. The color of the luminary will represent the awareness ribbon of the honoree. For example, pancreatic cancer is purple.
$10 Luminary “In Honor of” or “In Memory of “
$15 Luminary “In Honor of” or “In Memory of “ plus a picture on the luminary
$ 5 Luminary including the Colors of Hope Charity Event program shipping fee (optional)
Names of all honorees will be listed in the Colors of Hope Charity Event program and on The Cheer Cruise’s website, (www.TheCheerCruise.com), until June 2013. (optional)
Checks and Paypal are accepted.
To purchase tickets, luminaries, or to donate:
www.tinyurl.comlcolorsofhope
Select Awareness Colors:
Teal Luminary: Cheer Fusion, Ovarian Cancer, Cervical Cancer and Uterine Cancer
Red Luminary: 975 Saves Lives, Heart Disease, Stroke, AIDS and HIV
Pink Luminary: Breast Cancer and Childhood Cancer Awareness
Yellow Luminary: Bladder Cancer, Spina Bifida, Symbol of Hope, Support our Troops, Suicide Prevention and Endometriosis
Purple Luminary: Pancreatic Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Thyroid Cancer, Alzheimer, Lupus, Crohn’s Disease and Colitis, Cystic Fibrosis, Leimyosarcoma and Fibromyalgia
Lavender Luminary: General Cancer Awareness, Epilepsy and Rett Syndrome
Periwinkle Luminary: Eating Disorders and Pulmonary Hypertension
Blue Luminary: Colon Cancer, Colorectal Cancer and Bullying Awareness
Light Blue: “This Too Shall Pass,” Prostate and Childhood Cancer
Green Luminary: Kidney Cancer and Childhood Depression
Orange Luminary: Leukemia
White Luminary: Bone Cancer
Pearl Luminary: Lung Cancer, Emphysema, Mesothelioma and Multiple Sclerosis
Black Luminary: Melanoma
Brown Luminary: Colon Cancer and Colorectal Cancer
Grey Luminary: Brian Cancer, Diabetes and Asthma
Silver Luminary: Parkinson Disease, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Anxiety Disorders, Children with Disabilities and Mental Illness.

If you would like to make a more substantial donation:
Donation Levels:
Bronze: $25
Silver: $50
Gold: $100
Platinum: $250
Diamond: $500
*Donations are NOT tax-deductible

*Tickets purchased by July 22, 2012 to the Colors of Hope Charity Event
$25 per person
$75 per family
Tickets purchased at the door to the Colors of Hope Charity Event
$30 per person
$100 per family
All families attending the Summer Blast Beach Camp or The Cheer Cruise will attend Colors of Hope Charity Event for FREE.
Rooms are available at the Eden Roc on Thursday July 26, 2012 for $149 plus tax.
Email: [email protected] to reserve a room.

Back