All-Star Thoughts on Professional (NBA and NFL) Cheerleaders?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 20, 2018
Almost every team has a “cheerleading” team, but as you know, they are actually dancers. However, many have a Stunt and Tumble team that are called cheerleaders. Why don’t retired/aged out Allstar Cheerleaders aim for that level of cheer? What are your thoughts on them?

Check out the Baltimore Ravens Cheerleaders- a lot of former Maryland Twisters. They stunt and tumble

Frankly, I think a lot of them would be bored to tears.

If you’re an AS veteran who literally only trained to compete, then hours of what is essentially game day cheer is going to be a bore.

I did pro for a bit after college, and it’s super tough. It’s dancing first, but modeling is a close second (and by modeling I mean constantly smiling which for an introvert like me is a hard pass). Most veterans of AS cheer — especially those with no previous game day experience — would find the demands tedious and difficult.

At least that’s my view. I had game day experience and knew what I was getting into with pro. And I still found it a little boring.

Honestly, I think most AS kids who age out and want to keep performing would opt for an open or international open team instead of pro cheerleading. I looked at some of the requirements for the Raven's cheerleaders and Chicago Incredibulls and it seems pretty time-consuming. On top of games and practices, they also have to do appearances and they're required to have a job or be in school. Based on what I know about the DCC, I can't imagine it's worth it unless you REALLY love sideline cheer and/or that specific pro team.

I have done it all - high school, University, profession football, all-star. I enjoyed my time on the pro football team, but I prefer competing, and still do. I know lots of competitive AS cheerleaders who do switch over as they're slowing down from competition. It's a time to keep doing the sport in a low-key fun way with way less pressure. However, it is very different. I have known some very talented athletes not make the pro football team because they don't have the right look (and also many who made the team with limited skill because they looked good out on the field). Stunts are simple. The average fan doesn't know the difference between anyway, and just thinks - cool! Someone got thrown in the air. The skills needed for professional cheer are different. You need to be young, but old and mature enough to not look 12. Outgoing and able to small talk with everyone. You have to have the right look, the right body type and look good on the field and scoreboard. Yes, you need the skills too, but being the top tumbler/stunter/dancer doesn't mean you will actually make the team (and yes, there are some very talented athletes on these teams, but skill isn't the be all end all in the same way it is on Worlds teams)

I also noticed that the #MeToo Movement has changed NFL cheerleading squads and NBA dance teams and these days, NFL cheerleading squads have revamped their image by having less-revealing uniforms and adding men to the squad while NBA dance teams have been replaced by family-friendly hype teams.

Back