High School To Go Or Not To Go: Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@cheerchicaubrey
Ask your coach to find out whether the FHSAA allows you to create a joint program with another school, since your is too small to field a sufficiently large team.

I'm currently reading this: http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/.../16/node-175/1314_competitve_cheer_manual.pdf . Your coach can (and should) call them to ask questions.
hmmm... interesting! I've never heard of schools joining! Its worth a try to talk to my coach. Where do you see the rules about that?

@Hscoach10

we cant hold second tryouts :( we have already ordered alot of stuff and our coach simply refuses. we would have a bigger squad but my class is sooo small! i go to a private school and the 8th grade class have 14 girls!! im lucky to have eight. I would LOVE to have 12 girls but we just cant.

8 is pretty good for having only 14 girls in grade! Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

From a coaches point of view:

Nationals is a huge undertaking and A LOT of additional work. Just deciding to go this late into the season will be challenging. If your coach and administration aren't on board, it doesn't matter how the girls feel either way. If this is something the team wants, then you should take this year to build skills. Maybe do a local competition or two to get the feel for it. Then go into next season prior to tryouts letting everyone know the goal. The parents and girls know what they're signing up for financially and time commitment wise. There are lots of extra expenses.

As for UCA vs NCA. For a newer team like yours, NCA would probably be better. They offer divisions based on skill like allstars. UCA is tougher for upcoming teams because there isn't a leveling system. Divisions are by size of team and thats all. Middle school is small (5-16) and large (17-25). UCA would make more sense financially because you're staying in state. Both have lots of talent and your coach should choose based on your teams style and preferences. No matter which yall decide though, you should start with local and regional competitions. Get some experience in and build up to going to nationals! It's a lot of money and work to not be competitive!

I just had a thought: does your middle school feed kids into a certain high school? If there is a cheerleading program up there, your coach could prepare kids for HS cheer so that,one day, they can go to UCA as a small non-tumbling HS team.

Back