Usa Cheer Team Invited To Perform At 2018 Winter Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 21, 2015
Click For Full Article

The University of Kentucky will represent USA Cheer and the United States at the XXIII Winter Olympic Games. Bartlett, Tenn., – USA Cheer has announced that a team of United States cheerleaders will attend and perform during the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea in support of the USA’s Olympic Teams and Athletes. In […]

The post USA Cheer Team Invited to Perform at 2018 Winter Olympics appeared first on CheerDaily.com.

Even when the cheer powers that be try to do something amazing for the sport, they screw it up. The "USA Cheer Team" should be represented by Team USA. Not some college team that has never even competed internationally. UK is amazing, their coach is great and this is nothing against them, but what sport sends a college to represent them in the Olympics, especially when we have a competitive International Team?

Even when the cheer powers that be try to do something amazing for the sport, they screw it up. The "USA Cheer Team" should be represented by Team USA. Not some college team that has never even competed internationally. UK is amazing, their coach is great and this is nothing against them, but what sport sends a college to represent them in the Olympics, especially when we have a competitive International Team?
I agree with you. I feel for some of my Team USA friends who won't get to go since they don't cheer for UK this year.

But there is a precedent in this industry and in sports-

Recently with USA Cheer:

USA Cheer in regards to Dance has always done it this way:

Kansas Jayhawks with Basketball a year or so ago: KU-led Team USA claims World University Games gold | The Kansas City Star

Purdue Basketball this season: World University Games: Purdue men's basketball holds off Argentina to secure opening win for Team USA | NCAA.com

Last edited:
I agree with you. I feel for some of my Team USA friends who won't get to go since they don't cheer for UK this year.

But there is a precedent in this industry and in sports-

Recently with USA Cheer:

USA Cheer in regards to Dance has always done it this way:

Kansas Jayhawks with Basketball a year or so ago: KU-led Team USA claims World University Games gold | The Kansas City Star

Purdue Basketball this season: World University Games: Purdue men's basketball holds off Argentina to secure opening win for Team USA | NCAA.com

It’s all ridiculous. As my daughter who cheers college said, this makes UCA completely unfair. Who is going to send a loser to the Olympics?

It’s all ridiculous. As my daughter who cheers college said, this makes UCA completely unfair. Who is going to send a loser to the Olympics?
I don't disagree. I mentioned it in another thread about this though, it's got to be a heck of a lot easier to go with an already established team than to go through announcements, tryouts, choreo, practices, etc in 2 months to create a team to go. Especially when many athletes will be obligated to their college team during these next couple months for nationals.

Edit: nvm i didn't follow the rules lol and actually read the article.

Last edited:
I don't disagree. I mentioned it in another thread about this though, it's got to be a heck of a lot easier to go with an already established team than to go through announcements, tryouts, choreo, practices, etc in 2 months to create a team to go. Especially when many athletes will be obligated to their college team during these next couple months for nationals.
I don't disagree about what the likely reason is, but "easier" should not be in anyone's vocabulary when it comes to the Olympics. Invite Team USA - use the routine they competed with at ICU - no choreography needed. Those who can't go - get replacements. I have no doubt Team USA could be ready between now and February.

I don't disagree about what the likely reason is, but "easier" should not be in anyone's vocabulary when it comes to the Olympics. Invite Team USA - use the routine they competed with at ICU - no choreography needed. Those who can't go - get replacements. I have no doubt Team USA could be ready between now and February.

I read somewhere else that team USA were asked. @Keep_Believing was that you?

The article talks about performing at street parades, award ceremonies, Olympic venues, closing ceremonies, and a cheer championship. Is this kind of like what Spirit of America Productions does with Macy's Thanksgiving day parade cheerleaders? I'm kind of confused as to what role they are going in, it doesn't really state clearly they are competing at that championship....

USA Cheer has chosen the University of Kentucky to represent the United States in performances at awards ceremonies, Olympic venues, street parades, closing ceremonies and a cheerleading championship with teams from other countries. Cheer teams representing Norway, Russia, Germany, Switzerland, Canada and the Netherlands will also be participating in the events.

It's to increase visibility in prep for the next summer Olympics. I love UK but come on....this would be like inviting the level 10 team from Texas Dreams over the actual "Fantastic Five" (or 3 going into the future). I would ask why UK? There are arguably better level 6 college teams (Navarro, UofL, ect).

It's to increase visibility in prep for the next summer Olympics. I love UK but come on....this would be like inviting the level 10 team from Texas Dreams over the actual "Fantastic Five" (or 3 going into the future). I would ask why UK? There are arguably better level 6 college teams (Navarro, UofL, ect).
Maybe since UK is more inline with ICU cheer format or similar to it than say NCA style cheer teams.

Back