All-Star Usasf Communications Policy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If it prevents one kid from being abused or protects one coach from being subject to false accusations that would devastate their career, I am ok with this.

Delegating how and when you can communicate and creating an environment where every single electronic communication is monitored does not protect children. It shuts down communication that is essential in keeping kids safe. This policy could make many children in dire situations not step forward and/or get help.

Hypothetical Situation 1: What if an athlete is being abused by a coach and is too scared to go to their parent but is comfortable going to their team mom? Gyms are crowded, there is very little privacy to talk about something like this. What if the only private way they can communicate with the team mom is through text message or social media DMs? Per the policy, the team mom can't have the child on social media so there's no option for DM. The kid knows the team mom will attach the mom to whatever texts are sent. Scared about talking directly to the parent about it initially, the child chooses not to step forward.

I am not saying that a parent shouldn't be involved - a parent absolutely needs to be involved in that situation. But you're creating a situation where a kid won't even come forward. Kids need to feel like they have a way to privately discuss things and know they won't be immediately "told on" if they do. Ask the child what happened, make sure they are safe, and then notify the parent privately ASAP and get them involved.

I posted earlier about the importance of children having trusted adults in their lives outside of their families. Not every kid feels safe at home or at school or around their teachers. I'd like to think that gyms are a LOT of kids "safe havens" from family drama, school drama, etc and are environemnts where they feel comfortable to be themselves. Coaches, team parents, and other people at the gym are "trusted adults" for a lot of kids. I have no doubt in my mind that most, if not all, people who work with kids geniunely care about them and would step in if a child needed help but this policy could 100% create an environment where kids won't feel safe stepping forward and prevents them from even having a way to. There are a few more situations I'd like to present where this policy could extend far past cheer and still hurt athletes. Gym members and coaches can be the front line of protection or prevention for their athletes outside of the gym.

Hypothetical Situation 2: What if an athlete is being abused at home by a parent, family member, neighbor, or family friend? The child absolutely will not go to their parent about what's happening. The child needs a trusted adult to tell. This policy would prevent them from having a private way to tell a coach whats happening and could stop them from coming forward.

Hypothetical Situation 3: What if an athlete lives in a home where there is domestic violence, drug/alcohol dependance, criminal activities, etc? For obvious reasons the child cannot go to the parent for help. This policy prevents the child from telling someone if a gym employee is their only trusted adult.

Hypothetical Situation 4: Athlete is having a really tough time at school, their parents are fighting a lot at home, and they are really struggling. Maybe the school doesn't have a counselor for them to talk to or theres stigma at school about the kids who walk out of the counselors office. The kid feels really depressed but doesnt know who to talk to or ask for help. They fear that their parents knowing how their fighting affects them will only make it worse. The kid stays quiet because they don't have a trusted adult they can converse with privately and confidentially.

Hypothetical Situation 5: Cheer has a pretty significant LGBT+ community, both in the athlete population and the gym member population. For the most part, the cheer community is a very accepting place for LGBT+ people. We see how many kids kill themselves over teasing and bullying for who they are every year. An open and private environment for communication could save a kids life. This policy not only prevents a kid stuggling with sexuality from finding a safe adult to confide in or find someone to relate to, like maybe another openly gay coach, but also risks outting themselves to parents that may or may not accept them, making their home life hostile or even kicking the kid out of the home.

In none of these situations am I saying a parent/guardian/police/whathaveyou shouldn't be involved. But in all these situations - what if a coach was the only trusted adult they had and you took that away? Or what if the kid does come forward with a situation similar and you put a coach between a rock and a hard place because of the policy. This policy does the opposite of creating a safe, open environment. And it isn't going to stop pedophiles. They're are going to find a way to groom kids outside of social media/text messaging if the policy prevents that or theyre just going to get sneakier about it.

You might save one kid from getting abused by a coach but you're cutting a lot of kids off from seeking help with very real, very scary, and, unfortunately, very common problems with the way the policy is now. I am not ok with this.

Remember when parents could be trusted with decisions about their child's safety? Remember when parents used to teach their children what is and is not ok to say on the internet, in a text message, to an adult, or that children should inform their parents when adults said certain things ( especially anything that starts with don't tell your parents, they wouldn't understand )?
<sigh>

Delegating how and when you can communicate and creating an environment where every single electronic communication is monitored does not protect children. It shuts down communication that is essential in keeping kids safe. This policy could make many children in dire situations not step forward and/or get help.

Hypothetical Situation 1: What if an athlete is being abused by a coach and is too scared to go to their parent but is comfortable going to their team mom? Gyms are crowded, there is very little privacy to talk about something like this. What if the only private way they can communicate with the team mom is through text message or social media DMs? Per the policy, the team mom can't have the child on social media so there's no option for DM. The kid knows the team mom will attach the mom to whatever texts are sent. Scared about talking directly to the parent about it initially, the child chooses not to step forward.

I am not saying that a parent shouldn't be involved - a parent absolutely needs to be involved in that situation. But you're creating a situation where a kid won't even come forward. Kids need to feel like they have a way to privately discuss things and know they won't be immediately "told on" if they do. Ask the child what happened, make sure they are safe, and then notify the parent privately ASAP and get them involved.

I posted earlier about the importance of children having trusted adults in their lives outside of their families. Not every kid feels safe at home or at school or around their teachers. I'd like to think that gyms are a LOT of kids "safe havens" from family drama, school drama, etc and are environemnts where they feel comfortable to be themselves. Coaches, team parents, and other people at the gym are "trusted adults" for a lot of kids. I have no doubt in my mind that most, if not all, people who work with kids geniunely care about them and would step in if a child needed help but this policy could 100% create an environment where kids won't feel safe stepping forward and prevents them from even having a way to. There are a few more situations I'd like to present where this policy could extend far past cheer and still hurt athletes. Gym members and coaches can be the front line of protection or prevention for their athletes outside of the gym.

Hypothetical Situation 2: What if an athlete is being abused at home by a parent, family member, neighbor, or family friend? The child absolutely will not go to their parent about what's happening. The child needs a trusted adult to tell. This policy would prevent them from having a private way to tell a coach whats happening and could stop them from coming forward.

Hypothetical Situation 3: What if an athlete lives in a home where there is domestic violence, drug/alcohol dependance, criminal activities, etc? For obvious reasons the child cannot go to the parent for help. This policy prevents the child from telling someone if a gym employee is their only trusted adult.

Hypothetical Situation 4: Athlete is having a really tough time at school, their parents are fighting a lot at home, and they are really struggling. Maybe the school doesn't have a counselor for them to talk to or theres stigma at school about the kids who walk out of the counselors office. The kid feels really depressed but doesnt know who to talk to or ask for help. They fear that their parents knowing how their fighting affects them will only make it worse. The kid stays quiet because they don't have a trusted adult they can converse with privately and confidentially.

Hypothetical Situation 5: Cheer has a pretty significant LGBT+ community, both in the athlete population and the gym member population. For the most part, the cheer community is a very accepting place for LGBT+ people. We see how many kids kill themselves over teasing and bullying for who they are every year. An open and private environment for communication could save a kids life. This policy not only prevents a kid stuggling with sexuality from finding a safe adult to confide in or find someone to relate to, like maybe another openly gay coach, but also risks outting themselves to parents that may or may not accept them, making their home life hostile or even kicking the kid out of the home.

In none of these situations am I saying a parent/guardian/police/whathaveyou shouldn't be involved. But in all these situations - what if a coach was the only trusted adult they had and you took that away? Or what if the kid does come forward with a situation similar and you put a coach between a rock and a hard place because of the policy. This policy does the opposite of creating a safe, open environment. And it isn't going to stop pedophiles. They're are going to find a way to groom kids outside of social media/text messaging if the policy prevents that or theyre just going to get sneakier about it.

You might save one kid from getting abused by a coach but you're cutting a lot of kids off from seeking help with very real, very scary, and, unfortunately, very common problems with the way the policy is now. I am not ok with this.

You make some very good points. This is such a tough thing for all parties. Why is it a thing now? Did something happen?

My question is, is this a standard policy thing in other sports? Do schools and churches and other entities that work with similar age groups have policies like this?

The only thing I can think is that you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If a situation like what happened with the US Olympic gymnastics team happened with cheer, people would crucify the USASF for not having any kind of policies to protect the athletes. I'm wondering who, what, how, and why they did this like this and if it was recommended by legal council.

My question is, is this a standard policy thing in other sports? Do schools and churches and other entities that work with similar age groups have policies like this?

Yes.

I coach a high school cheer team. Athletic department policy, no coach to athlete texting, it must be group text or not at all. No other social media friending.

I also volunteer at a church summer camp and we have similar policies.

I thought about something last night and I can't remember if it's been addressed in this post specifically. We have a team IG and Twitter account. The girls are followers (as well as the parents). Is this now not going to be allowed? Can the athletes not follow the gym accounts?

They can follow official team and gym accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking to your coach about coach things is fine. It’s not any different than it was before. Only now, a coach will need to take an extra step to reply to the athlete with parents included. And it’s the coaches professional responsibility to make sure of it. It’s not hard.

I don’t want that information sent to me, though! I stalk my teen’s social media. That’s good enough for me and really doesn’t concern the USASF. I wish there was an “opt out” option for parents. I don’t need my phone blowing up with group texts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I still think this should be a guideline versus rules because there are some really big issues with some of the wording of the document and there are some real life situations that make it impossible to follow the rules (i.e. when a coach has a son/daughter/brother/sister/cousin who is an athlete) yet severe penalties for "violations", I have to give credit to USASF for being responsive to my questions and concerns, because as a parent who has been in this industry for almost 15 years, that has pretty much never happened before.

Although I still think this should be a guideline versus rules because there are some really big issues with some of the wording of the document and there are some real life situations that make it impossible to follow the rules (i.e. when a coach has a son/daughter/brother/sister/cousin who is an athlete) yet severe penalties for "violations", I have to give credit to USASF for being responsive to my questions and concerns, because as a parent who has been in this industry for almost 15 years, that has pretty much never happened before.

Agreed, I coach my own kid and I will not stop following her on social media since as her mother it is my duty to monitor her social media usage. She however is not my friend on facebook, etc. I also do not follow any other athletes in my program, nor would I ever.

I have gotten texts from my middle school age and up athletes before asking questions in regards to practice or game/comp info, and remembering to reply to not only them but also a parent will be the biggest change for me.

All valid:

Hence the law in virtually every state that allows a minor child to seek medical treatment for pregnancy/STD/drug abuse/psychiatric disorders without parental consent.

The sentence that people seem to be ignoring, "The Electronic Communication Policy is available for our members to utilize in order to establish clear boundaries."

Bottom line, a lawyer identified an area where athletes, coaches,gym owners, and the USASF need legal protection and wrote up basic legal guidelines that are looked for in a communication policy when dealing with minors. Gym owners can use their existing policy, create their own, or use the USASF's, but it has to be written, available, and signed off by members.

The sentence that people seem to be ignoring, "The Electronic Communication Policy is available for our members to utilize in order to establish clear boundaries."

Bottom line, a lawyer identified an area where athletes, coaches,gym owners, and the USASF need legal protection and wrote up basic legal guidelines that are looked for in a communication policy when dealing with minors. Gym owners can use their existing policy, create their own, or use the USASF's, but it has to be written, available, and signed off by members.
Incorrect. It states the gym policy must be the same or more strict. The policy also gives punishment that includes a permanent ban from coaching. This policy goes way beyond legal protection.

The linked PDF that was posted in the original post of this thread is a lot different from the one thats posted to USASF's website (here).

But they also have a seperate statement on their page where that other version is linked to (here) with rules not included in the PDF (check out the last couple of sentences):

REQUIREMENT 3: Adopting the USASF recommended policy or uploading a Program specific policy for:

POLICY 2: Electronic Communication

The USASF recognizes the need to address the prevalence of inappropriate messaging between adults affiliated with a USASF Member program and athletes via email, texting, and social media.

The USASF requires (beginning the 2017-2018 season) that all member Programs adopt a clear and concise policy regarding Electronic Communication. It is evident that electronic communication has significant positive benefits, but we must address the availability it yields for an adult with bad intentions to breach an athlete's rights of privacy and their physical and emotional safety. In order to fully protect the athlete members we serve, a clear policy and written expectations about using electronic communications must be available and implemented by every USASF Program Member.

The USASF has provided a model policy to be reviewed and agreed to by athletes, parents, coaches and other adults affiliated with the program in order to help members who are unable to create their own written electronic communication policy. The model policy provided by the USASF will be the default electronic communication policy of all member Programs. Members may choose to adopt and implement the USASF's default policy or implement their own.

If a member program creates its own electronic communication policy, the default policy will no longer apply. A program may implement a policy that is more restrictive than USASF's recommended policy. It may not be less restrictive.

The PDF in the first post of the thread says "For membership term August 1, 2018-July 31, 2019" but the one linked on the USASF site says "requires, beginning the 2017-2018 season".

Just to keep everyone on the same page because it's hella confusing as to which version we should be referring to... if not both.

ETA: FWIW, I can't find the one from the first post linked anywhere on USASF's site but it's clearly been uploaded to their dropbox-thing where they upload all their member info. Not sure why they wouldn't make updating their site's information a priority if the policies been updated... takes all of 19 seconds to avoid confusion and legal loopholes.

Last edited:
The linked PDF that was posted in the original post of this thread is a lot different from the one thats posted to USASF's website (here).

OP here. Sorry for any confusion. Yes, I've been trying to figure this out myself. I posted days ago and can't remember how I came across that pdf. It says effective August 1 2018. When I type in "communications policy" on the USASF website I can only find one that says 2017-2018.

IMO, USASF should absolutely prioritize updated policy on their website. Its still been an interesting conversation. I like hearing about aspects of the policy that I had not thought through.

Incorrect. It states the gym policy must be the same or more strict. The policy also gives punishment that includes a permanent ban from coaching. This policy goes way beyond legal protection.

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't state whether or not this is beyond legal protection. Generally, a lawyer will give the basic guidelines that will serve to protect you, your employees and your clients, hence "the same or more strict" clause. I agree the permanent ban from coaching seems over the top, however, I can understand if a warning is given and that coach chooses to ignore it, then they are going to face why the severity of the problem wasn't addressed at the appropriate level.

@Eyes On The Prize Honestly, I just copied and paste some of the wording into Google and similar policies came up for electronic communication with minors based on the pdf:
https://www.usaswimming.org/docs/de...policy_electronic-communication.pdf?sfvrsn=14

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachme...on_Policy_of_Vienna_Elite_Volleyball_Club.pdf

Back