Varsity Brands Enters Into Definitive Agreement To Be Acquired By Charlesbank Capital Partners

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 28, 2013
Click For Full Article

PR Newswire published Varsity Brands Enters Into Definitive Agreement To Be Acquired By Charlesbank Capital Partners. Varsity Brands, a dynamic portfolio of brands that promote student participation while celebrating academic and athletic achievement, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by an investment group led by Charlesbank Capital Partners, […]

hmm... Seems like an odd fit for Charlesbank looking at their portfolio, and I was intrigued by Varsity's corporate description. And $1.2 billion in sales. The cheerleading industry (I mean educational industry -Varsity mentions NOTHING about competitive cheer in the corporate write up) is alive and well folks!

It really shouldn't mean much change other than Varsity having pressure from Charlesbank to perform well.

ETA: I knew the name sounded familiar. They're based in Boston.

hmm... Seems like an odd fit for Charlesbank looking at their portfolio, and I was intrigued by Varsity's corporate description. And $1.2 billion in sales. The cheerleading industry (I mean educational industry -Varsity mentions NOTHING about competitive cheer in the corporate write up) is alive and well folks!

Varsity Brands also includes Herff Jones and BSN Sports, which aren't cheerleading related at all. Varsity Spirit is only one part of it.

I doubt much would change because it was bought because what it was doing is successful.

OK... is Varsity part of Herff Jones, or is Herff Jones part of Varsity?? I think I had it backwards.

Which is shameful, coming from a Varsity employee.. lol

If they want more ideas to make money in the cheer market they should reach out to the cheer parents. I have a lot of awesome ideas that haven't been touched on yet!!!!!!! :)

I'm sure we'll see an across the board reduction in pricing by 10%.

[/sarcasmoff]

Back