OT Wanda Holloway

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 14, 2017
When it comes to the Wanda Holloway case, I’ve been trying for years to read between the lines and figure out what actually happened. Still cannot come up with a conclusion. There are arguments to be made every which way.

Question 1: was the cheer team Shanna wanted to make any good (read: tough to make)?

Yes they were: this was Texas cheerleading in the 80’s. So yes, odds are the team was good and you’d need to have skills to make it.

No they weren’t: the team was picked by the student body, which suggests it was more of a social club.

Question 2: was Shanna good?

Yes she was: she’d been involved in gymnastics for years, and it was reported that Wanda had her practicing all the time. So it stands to reason she at least knew the basics. There are also pics online of Shanna in a cheer uni, which suggests she had experience somewhere.

Also, Shanna was always said to have “narrowly” missed out on making the team, which suggests she was in the same neighbourhood as girls who did make the team.

No she wasn’t: doesn’t matter how much a kid practices; if they’re not into it they’re not into it. Adult Shanna has said her mom was more interested in her cheering than she was.

Question 3: did Shanna have a shot at the team but repeatedly got screwed over (most likely because of her mom’s meddling), or did she never have a shot to begin with?

She got screwed over: allowing a student body to pick a team doesn’t always result in the best candidates being picked. She might’ve gotten a bad deal.

Also, Shanna was disqualified from running one year on a technicality (something about using illegal campaign materials). Seems like a petty thing for adults to impart on a jr high kid and most likely had to do with punishing her mother more than her. Got screwed over.

She never had a shot: adult Shanna has said she never cared about cheer as much as her mom did, so maybe that came through in her attitude and effort.

If anyone was around Texas during this time, I’d love to hear your side of it. Such a weird story that is also completely believable given how wacky cheer can be.

I’m not from Texas, yet this case became national news. There’s even a Lifetime movie about it.

Texas was the cheer capitol of the world in the 1980s, with Tennessee schools second. This was before All-Star teams knocked school cheer off its proverbial throne. As such, when I heard about this case, I was surprised, yet not shocked.

I sure hope nothing like this happens again. What le cheer is fun, it's not the end-all, be-all of life. There are very few things I'm willing to die for--sports isn't one.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
-Marcie

Back