High School Were Crops Ever Allowed In Hs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yeah absolutely no inversions at that point I think. Probably no releases either? I remember ticks only getting popular around 2003-2004. Or maybe that was when everyone just got good at them.

Around that time though I absolutely remember we had a five-base basket lol. So illegal now. And we also dropped from a standing position straight into a prone position (push-up position) in our choreo. It’s funny to me how restricted every little thing has become now, although I assume it’s for safety’s sake so can’t really argue. I’ll admit, the push-up choreo gave me tendinitis my senior year. Probably for the best you can’t do it anymore.

Five base baskets went out before I got in the game around the mid 90’s.

You can find the year on those videos. I believe it was 92 or 93 Christian Brothers with 5-base basket and then the next year 4-base baskets. At that time, coed was all about max toss for dramatic effect. No way they would have cut a tosser unless they had to

Five base baskets went out before I got in the game around the mid 90’s.

You can find the year on those videos. I believe it was 92 or 93 Christian Brothers with 5-base basket and then the next year 4-base baskets. At that time, coed was all about max toss for dramatic effect. No way they would have cut a tosser unless they had to

Whelp, legal or not I was totally that fifth base in the early aughts lol. Although in my case it was USA Nationals we were at, and they’ve never been great about knowing their own rules. If it was illegal at that time, there’s a good chance it was overlooked since we were never dinged for it.

Just a shot in the dark: does anyone have access to an old uniform catalog or rules guide from 2000-2001? Or know of some sort of archive where I could find that stuff? I’m trying to remember what exactly was allowed stunts-wise back then. And also what uniforms looked like. If I remember correctly, that was right around the time that the “way too many freaking stripes” trend became popular.

So anyway, any help would be great. I’ve got an email in to AACCA about it as well so we’ll see.
Did you ever find the old catalog? I would LOVE to look through it!

Did you ever find the old catalog? I would LOVE to look through it!

No but this more or less nails it:

Melbourne High School Cheerleaders

Uniform Changes
(although I really think think the 2000-2001 look in this one is a dance team uniform)

99-2009? I want to say was the era of way too many stripes. Pleated skirts were still a thing, but fell out of vogue circa 2007 in favor of A-line. And liners got less bulky and more streamlined. AS was still adopting their style from college/HS.

2010-Now: The stripe anarchy in HS/college unis calmed down in favor a stripes that actually complement a uni during a performance. For a brief moment in 2011 weird necklines made a go for it but where shut down. Colleges adopt very simple lines/colors. AS loses their GD minds but I don’t hate it.

If anyone has suggestions for my crude timeline, I’d love to hear it.

CP's HS team just wore liners as a top Friday night, cropped. It was slightly embarrassing to me but, hey, that skirt that went with that liner fits CP better than one of the uniform skirts does. Team mom of CP AS team and her CP came to watch my CP cheer her HS game Friday night and when they walked over to meet the other team she laughed and said that other team is going can you believe they have their liner on as a top?! I brought it up that that was crazy, but there were only 4 parents out of 20 opposed, so I shut up and just didn't take any pics this week.

CP's HS team just wore liners as a top Friday night, cropped. It was slightly embarrassing to me but, hey, that skirt that went with that liner fits CP better than one of the uniform skirts does. Team mom of CP AS team and her CP came to watch my CP cheer her HS game Friday night and when they walked over to meet the other team she laughed and said that other team is going can you believe they have their liner on as a top?! I brought it up that that was crazy, but there were only 4 parents out of 20 opposed, so I shut up and just didn't take any pics this week.

Huh. Interesting. My district would never. Does the school formally allow crops? Or are cheer uniforms not really on their radar so things are sort of open to interpretation?

I’m asking because I’m trying to write this piece on cheer in reality vs. in the media and this crops issue is turning out to have waaay more answers than I thought.

Here’s the thing with HS cheer. Yes it is technically regulated by NFHS, but most administrators are not up on those rules. So, if a team doesn’t compete, you are relying on a coach self-regulating or another person who knows the rules turning a team in.

So if you don’t compete and your administrators don’t care what uniforms you wear, there is nothing stopping you from wearing crop tops. Yes it’s against the rules, yes you’d get hammered at a competition that follows NFHS rules, but at a Friday night football game? It’s likely that no one is going to care.

It’s like the team that I saw doing back tuck baskets on the track at a game. I know it’s wrong, the coach maybe knew it was wrong, but it’s doubtful anyone else did.

Here’s the thing with HS cheer. Yes it is technically regulated by NFHS, but most administrators are not up on those rules. So, if a team doesn’t compete, you are relying on a coach self-regulating or another person who knows the rules turning a team in.

So if you don’t compete and your administrators don’t care what uniforms you wear, there is nothing stopping you from wearing crop tops. Yes it’s against the rules, yes you’d get hammered at a competition that follows NFHS rules, but at a Friday night football game? It’s likely that no one is going to care.

It’s like the team that I saw doing back tuck baskets on the track at a game. I know it’s wrong, the coach maybe knew it was wrong, but it’s doubtful anyone else did.

But if they’re dumb enough to post those skills on social media. AACCA will find them eventually.

Back