What Happened To Basics???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2010
I have noticed that a great amount of cheerleaders do not know basic cheer moves like walkovers, proper cartwheels, rolls etc. but are throwing doubles and when ask why they do not know how they and I quote "was not taught that". How is it possible to move to other skills when you do not have the basics?

I know that some people learn some skills quicker than others. For myself I was working on all sorts of basics before moving on and I randomly did a tuck by myself the first time and landed it. Took me a few months for my backhandspring but I still can't do a frontwalk over because I have a shoulder injury that doesn't allow me to have enough flexibility in that arm. Sometimes its the person learning or sometimes its the trainer. It is a lot easier to learn from the basics and work your way up but some people can't get them but they get an elite skill.

There's this girl in my gym who for some reason can't do any tumbling where her hands touch the ground but if you asked her to pull a stnading tuck whip back full she could do it with no effort. No idea how this works lol

I envy you. I started in gymnastics so I literally was forced to learn everything in order. And I couldn't move onto the next skill until it was perfect. When I was learning layouts, I kept twisting anyway. (Twisties from MIOBI is a real thing!) I couldn't for the life of me not twist.

As I got older, I was throwing doubles off the tumble track but still couldn't do a standing tuck or constistently throw a backhandspring to tuck. It's just the way people learn or their bodies even.

yeah everyone is different and I have had the twisties too! I hated it because it made me so frustrated. My aunt is a gymnastic though so she would teach me what she knew my body would understand and then I would have TONS of conditioning at home to do to make me get those other skills.

There is a girl at our gym that never learned a backward roll as a small child and had a terrible time learning how to do a tuck, so she had to go back and learn the roll. I'm not sure of the developmental specifics, but I guess it's like babies that learn to crawl improperly, they just get outta whack somehow.

As far as walkovers are concerned I think its about flexibility. Standing tucks require diffrent muscles than handsprings.
If a good conditioning program is instated I think that an athletic person should be able to go threw the normal progressions.

for some reason i see this alot with boys!
one of the boys on my team last season had a running threw to double and couldnt do a standing back handspring to save his life!

i did gymnastics when i was 6 until about 10 years old & i learned rolls, cartwheels, front/back walkovers etc. everything in order then in between then & when i started cheer i had grown a lot & lost a lot of back flexibility & wasn't able to do back walkovers anymore. i've always kept the rolls & cartwheels & was able to get the front walkover back. i can do backbends but i don't have that perfect little gymnast back walkover anymore so for me it was growth.

I understand it depends on the person some people do lose flexibility but to not have been taught the skills at all is just something that i don't understand. I know my coaches made sure you were able to perform the skills needed to advance to the different levels.

At cp's first gym they went from cartwheel to round off to backhandspring. There was no walk-over, no limber, no back bend kickover taught. That gym is out of business now, but she was never taught those skills. She has learned them over the years, but they were on her own.

Glad my cp started on a tiny team! They stress walkovers because it the most "difficult" they can do. I now have my 4 year old starting on tinys and she is working on bridges!!! When our coaches warm up my level 5 tumbler they have her do rolls, walkovers, cartwheels etc....

Latest posts

Back