Members see FEWER ads... join today!

what is more important at tryouts

• standing tumbling

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • running tumbling

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 26, 2021
My daughter has standing tumbling of a level 5 and flyer skills for level 5 but her running tumbling is not good. She has tuck alternates (but her knees go out outwards in handspring) and her layout still looks like a pike. She has her toe tuck in standing and standing alternates. Just my question is what do coaches want more the standing or running tumbling. The standing tumbling seems much harder to hide.

Everyone builds teams differently so it's hard to say what a gym or coach values more.

But generally, you want to have Level 5 skills in both.

Some gyms will place a top tier flyer kid with all the Level 5 flying skills on a Level 5 team specifically to fly and they won't tumble as much.

Some gyms want you to be solidly Level 5 in all areas to make level 5. As in, if your running tumbling is a Level 5 but standing is a 3 or 4 level, you are not making a Level 5 team. You will be on a Level 3 or 4.

Safest bet is to be as strong in all areas at that level as you can be.

I would go into this not expecting to make a Level in which she is missing skills, and have a realistic idea of what level she would make.

Ex: If layout is piked, limited standing tumbling, and some jumps to tuck, realistically you need to be okay with her making Level 3. Maybe 4. But 5 is a stretch. Especially if your gym is larger with lots of talent.

Last edited:
I second @oncecoolcoachnowmom. 10 years ago, jumps to tuck and L5 flying could have landed her on a decent L5 team. Now, most athletes need to have at least the basic level appropriate skills in all categories to make an at-level team, unless a gym is really stretching to put together a Worlds team.

Everyone builds teams differently so it's hard to say what a gym or coach values more.

But generally, you want to have Level 5 skills in both.

Some gyms will place a top tier flyer kid with all the Level 5 flying skills on a Level 5 team specifically to fly and they won't tumble as much.

Some gyms want you to be solidly Level 5 in all areas to make level 5. As in, if your running tumbling is a Level 5 but standing is a 3 or 4 level, you are not making a Level 5 team. You will be on a Level or 4.

Safest bet is to be as strong in all areas at that level as you can be.

I would go into this not expecting to make a Level in which she is missing skills, and have a realistic idea of what level she would make.

Ex: If layout is piked, limited standing tumbling, and some jumps to tuck, realistically you need to be okay with her making Level 3. Maybe 4. But 5 is a stretch. Especially if your gym is larger with lots of talent.

shes not old enough for worlds! i was speaking of junior teams but i guess the same stands.

Back