All-Star What Is Your Best Coaching Tip Or Drill?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

T

thebowqueen

Mine is when teaching backwalkovers -

Have the kid start at the bottom of an incline mat facing away from it with the toe pointed out. Tell her to reach back and look at her hands and bring the toe up at the same time. She should stop when her hands hit the mat and her toe is pointed at the ceiling. If she can get that timing down solid, the backwalkover will be cake.

thebowqueen said:

Have the kid start at the bottom of an incline mat facing away from it with the toe pointed out. Tell her to reach back and look at her hands and bring the toe up at the same time. She should stop when her hands hit the mat and her toe is pointed at the ceiling. If she can get that timing down solid, the backwalkover will be cake.

I love this one too. I'll hold their toe and guide them into it the first few times. It's an excellent drill.

Another favorite of mine is the bhs/handstand drill. When I'm taking a kid off the barrel or boulder I always spot a hundred of these. They jump back to handstand and stop. They feel that body position and learn how to nail it before they can continue to the snap down rebound

I agree with this drill, and if they are really new to backwalkovers (I do these drills with my minis) have them start at the top of the cheese mat facing like you would to do the bwo, have them get in their starting position...(arms up, toe out and hollow in their tummy) reach back and just when they are about to kick their last leg over, have them hold that position and squeeze everything super tight then kick over fast and stand up with their arms above their ears! Kinda similar to your drill, but facing a different way! :) Also, if their core is weak and they can't learn body control, put a panel mat against a wall and have them do handstand where their back is against the mat and have them hold it for however long they can! That really helps their stomach and learning how to squeeze super tight! Hope I helped!!

Back