What To Expect With Pop Warner?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 24, 2018
I recently signed up to volunteer with a pop warner cheer team. I originally wanted to be an assistant coach, but I think they will have me as a regular coach because they are short on people.

My entire cheer history is with All Star, so I am new to rec. I start next week and I'm a bit nervous so I'm wondering if anyone with pop warner coaching experience can tell me a little bit about what to expect.

Thank you!

I haven't been involved in youth rec cheer in a while, but it seems even within the same region, the programs vary greatly. Some programs could beat higher level all star teams and some have no experience at all and have very basic level 1 skills. Also, a lot is dependent on demographics as far as commitment and finances of the program.

I helped junior coach my lil sister's rec team. All I can say is that it's TOTALLY different them allstar. Although I do think some pop warner teams are "allstar-qualified". Most of rec cheer are vastly either for girls or beginners, having only 4 levels. Here in the bucks-montco area, you'd be lucky to even have a boy on your team.

Also, be aware that rec teams are often based on age, not primarily skill. The older the kids get, the wider the skill range often is.

Back