All-Star What To Look For In A Gym?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 30, 2012
My cp has been at this gym for a couple years. Most of the girls in the gym are there for all the tumbling classes and privates. It seems as if they aren't getting as much attention from the coaches as others are. Everything is very unorganized, there's drama between parents and between teammates. The season started about 2 months ago. do you think its too late to change gyms.

Thank you in advanced

My cp has been at this gym for a couple years. Most of the girls in the gym are there for all the tumbling classes and privates. It seems as if they aren't getting as much attention from the coaches as others are. Everything is very unorganized, there's drama between parents and between teammates. The season started about 2 months ago. do you think its too late to change gyms.

Thank you in advanced
Hard question and I think you and your CP (if old enough) are the only ones that can truly answer it. I know changing gyms was a tremendous decision for us and it took almost a full year before we knew it was time to make a change. However we were VERY happy with our gym and everything about it. In our case it was a relatively small gym (<50) athletes and L2 was the highest level team. My CP had just progressed way beyond that level.

I think that talking with the owner/coaches and seeing how they handle your concerns is important. They may not really be aware of your concerns. They need to be given the opportunity to address the situation. That is where I would start. It also would depend on if they already had their choreography. IMO that seems to be the mark of all-in commitment for the season. In the end though it has to be your decision.

I personally look for a gym that cares for its athletes, but is not afraid to push them. Meaning that they don't look at you as a spot on the team, but as a person. If you can find another gym that still has spots open I see no problem with switching.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

It is still early in the season. If you are going to switch, now would be the time before they get too much into choreography. Make your choices wisely though, as the grass is not always greener.
You and your CP need to determine:
1. What am I unhappy with this season? (is it the coaches this season vs. last season, cp having issues with teammates, the way the gym is run/ has the way they've run the gym changed this season?, are you just tired of ongoing issues at this gym? are you unhappy with the team/level/age she made? etc.). Make a list of pros/cons and underline your deal breakers.
2. Will the things I am unhappy with be able to realistically change at this gym? (talking with coaches, teammate issues fizzling out, the gym getting it together after summer, etc.). Having been at the gym for previous seasons, you are aware of the history and how the seasons have gone in the past/ how issues have been dealt with at this gym. Analyze possible courses for solution. If you are serious about leaving, then I suggest you calmly and professionally voice to the staff why you/CP are unhappy at the gym and note their reaction.
3. If you determine that the issues will not change because that is how the gym environment/coach/owner,etc. is, then you need to start researching alternatives for CP to flourish in a different atmosphere where she can enjoy cheer.
-Do your research
-Visit gyms/practices to see if CP matches the environment (keep that on the DL until you leave. Doesn't bode well for CP to say to teammates/coaches "hey I went to this gym and am thinking of quitting to go there!"). Note that not all places may have a spot for late joiners, but if you are truly interested, call the gym for more info.
-Leave with dignity (don't bad mouth, get into arguments, etc.....not worth the energy and CP did have some good seasons there I am guessing. She may just have evolved to a different gym type (more serious, hardworking, older, different way of teaching, etc., or maybe the old gym has changed). Note that you may have damaged friendships, upset coaches, etc. but if they are childish in their response, then you obviously made the right choice to leave I suppose.

Switching gyms is not always the right choice, but sometimes you end up switching and never look back. It's up to you and CP to decide what the best course of action is.

In all honesty, your CP and you (primarily) as the checkbook are the only people qualified to make a decision on whether to stay or go. If you are unhappy, I would suggest talking to an owner/gym director, express you concerns, and see how things go from there. After that, and you're both still not happy or feel like nothing has been resolved, I suggest leaving. It's still early in the season, this is the time where choreography occurs, rosters change, divisions are finalized, etc. At the end of the day, if you're paying for a product you're not happy with in other aspects of life (say your cable), you call to complain or maybe resolve things - and if you still aren't happy, I have no doubts that you would be switching cable companies. Kind of a horrible analogy, but I think it makes sense.

Good luck in whatever decision you come to!

You shouldn't settle for a gym that you don't like. Your CP should be able to thrive in an environment he/she enjoys. If you're unhappy, make the change.

Thank you in advanced

Are you in the parent section? There is a thread in there on this topic. An experience and advice thread for those of us that have been in the spot you're in now.

Latest posts

Back