When Will Hs Be Able To Double Down Again?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 28, 2014
I understand safety is a concern but seriously, if you know you are going to get hurt doing stunts your team isn't ready for and not the proper coaching why punish other teams? Double downs are fun and that's just degrading high school. And trust me, I know there's times where it's just an accident but that's cheerleading you signed up for the team knowing your risking of injury

I can agree with this to an extent. I'm not sure about other states,
But Michigan High School cheer has certain elements required to score well. This includes a certain number of OLEs, full twists (can be twisting once from a stunt, a full around/up, or a full twisting layout), one team tumbling section where everyone is in sync, and baskets.

Double downs used to be an element on this section of the scoresheet. People will go to lengths to complete these to get the points, and without these skills you will be way behind someone who hits all the points. I think if doubles are introduced back into this section of the scoresheet, it could come with an increase of injuries.

But I would love to see double downs back in high school routines! Such a fun and pretty (when executed properly) skill to include. Many schools have proven to be more than capable, I just wish some coaches would know when to sacrifice scores for safety.

In answer to your question, I would think probably never, or at least not likely any time soon. For all of the beautiful double downs I have seen in high school cheer, I have seen 5x the amount of scary, dangerous ones. I have seen more blood, busted noses and black eyes at high school competitions due to improper technique in double downs versus any other injury. I get that for the athletes that perform the skill well, it is frustrating not to be able to do it, but I think it is a stretch to say it is "degrading" high school to not be able to do them. It is a level 4/5 skill for a reason and shouldn't be done by the majority of high school teams.
To spin off this subject, I do wish that our state (not sure how other states do it) would set the divisions as novice, intermediate and advanced versus by divisions based on school population. Cheer isn't even run by the same organization that runs the other sports in our state, and it makes no sense to have teams that have level 2/3 skills compete against teams that have level 4/5 skills in the same division. This causes as much risk for injury since you have coaches trying to max out skills their athletes don't have to be able to try to be competitive in a division. If divisions were set on a skill basis, then I would have less of a problem with the double downs if they could only be performed by teams in the advanced division.

In answer to your question, I would think probably never, or at least not likely any time soon. For all of the beautiful double downs I have seen in high school cheer, I have seen 5x the amount of scary, dangerous ones. I have seen more blood, busted noses and black eyes at high school competitions due to improper technique in double downs versus any other injury. I get that for the athletes that perform the skill well, it is frustrating not to be able to do it, but I think it is a stretch to say it is "degrading" high school to not be able to do them. It is a level 4/5 skill for a reason and shouldn't be done by the majority of high school teams.
To spin off this subject, I do wish that our state (not sure how other states do it) would set the divisions as novice, intermediate and advanced versus by divisions based on school population. Cheer isn't even run by the same organization that runs the other sports in our state, and it makes no sense to have teams that have level 2/3 skills compete against teams that have level 4/5 skills in the same division. This causes as much risk for injury since you have coaches trying to max out skills their athletes don't have to be able to try to be competitive in a division. If divisions were set on a skill basis, then I would have less of a problem with the double downs if they could only be performed by teams in the advanced
division.

I agree on the whole level thing. Because my team does level 5 stunts so it isn't fair that we have to downgrade because other teams aren't at the same level. I like the way you worded that and I couldn't agree more. high School cheer should deff consider something like that. Not only to do harder skills that were taken away because of intermediate teams, but to make competition fair.

My flyer from high school could double outta everything in her sleep but man oh man did she bust us up with single twists. I'm so glad that the rule of no doubles came after I graduated.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My flyer from high school could double outta everything in her sleep but man oh man did she bust us up with single twists. I'm so glad that the rule of no doubles came after I graduated.

SAAMMMMEEEE. my flyer could/can double for dayzzzzzzz and when we had to single, she would get around once & a quarter so that her shoulder jabbed right into my backspot chest. So rough haha

To spin off this subject, I do wish that our state (not sure how other states do it) would set the divisions as novice, intermediate and advanced versus by divisions based on school population. Cheer isn't even run by the same organization that runs the other sports in our state, and it makes no sense to have teams that have level 2/3 skills compete against teams that have level 4/5 skills in the same division. This causes as much risk for injury since you have coaches trying to max out skills their athletes don't have to be able to try to be competitive in a division. If divisions were set on a skill basis, then I would have less of a problem with the double downs if they could only be performed by teams in the advanced division.

I'm from Cali, and the biggest high school national organization does the whole novice, intermediate, and advance divisions.
But To me I think some of the rules needs to be switched up, a brief run through on each division;

Novice-no baskets , back handsprings only, extended stunts need to be double based, straight cradles only, any one legged stunts are prep level, if extended needs to be braced by a prep on both sides!

Intermediate- running tucks for tumbling, you can do flipping transitions in pyramids but needs to land in cradles and has to start in the loading position and braced both sides , all one legged stunts are prep level still, you can full twist In stunts, full downs must be double based, allowed one trick tosses,

And advanced - anything goes pretty much except double downs!
Lol

I agree on the whole level thing. Because my team does level 5 stunts so it isn't fair that we have to downgrade because other teams aren't at the same level. I like the way you worded that and I couldn't agree more. high School cheer should deff consider something like that. Not only to do harder skills that were taken away because of intermediate teams, but to make competition fair.
Kinda to reiterate what @quitthedrama said, I don't think double downs were taken away to make the competition fair but to reduce injuries. While I love perfectly executed double downs, the majority I've seen when I was in HS (when they were still legal) were scary and a hot mess. Until HS cheer has qualified coaching and a level system in place, I don't see them coming back.

Oh, the high school double down. I am a high school coach in addition to AS.

Every year, they do the "why can't we double down for the comp?" whine. (I have a fair number of stunt groups who can do so and do so well.)

Then we go to games, see other teams rocking the HELICOPTER LEG DOUBLE OF DEATH with bases whose lives are literally flashing before their eyes.

I turn to my kids and say "This is why we can't have nice things."

Last edited:
High School cheer at my school scared the crap out of me. My first practice I watched a varsity flyer take out her back spot and side base trying to double down. It's a shame that some teams can execute the skill perfectly, but it was taken away because alumni cheerleaders and parents think they are pro coaches...yes you read that right..my school asked an alumni cheerleader and her mom (who were super involved back in the day) to come coach the teams... -_-

But there are plenty of good hs teams that can do double downs. Watch pinelands, Burlington, upper Darby, rocky point ect. Idk, I think if you have proper coaching then you should be allowed

I agree it's unfair to "punish" everyone because there are a lot of talented schools. I do believe HS coaches should need to get more certifications and take classes to help prevent bad situations from happening. There are a lot of janky doubles and bad stunting all around in all stars too and we let that happen.

Back