All-Star Would This Be Obnoxious?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SheCheers

Cheer Parent
Mar 6, 2011
Our gym's owner has asked us what team my cp would like to be on next year. (i posted a thread in newbies a few weeks ago about this). After discussing it with Cp, ive determined that she doesn't care what level she's on, she just wants to avoid being on a team with a particular girl who tends to bully her. Our gym owner is aware of some of the issues we've had with this girl, would it be inappropriate to say something to the effect of "put her on any team Susie is not on?"

Our gym's owner has asked us what team my cp would like to be on next year. (i posted a thread in newbies a few weeks ago about this). After discussing it with Cp, ive determined that she doesn't care what level she's on, she just wants to avoid being on a team with a particular girl who tends to bully her. Our gym owner is aware of some of the issues we've had with this girl, would it be inappropriate to say something to the effect of "put her on any team Susie is not on?"

Since the gym owner is already aware, I truely feel that, if handled appropriatly, it wouldn't be a problem addressing the issue with him/her. If your cp is willing to drop down I personally think it would be best for her. Depending on the extent of the bullying, you don't want her to be miserable all year. That could cause her give it up long before she's ready.

No i dont feel that its obnoxious at all. Your requesting a team for personal reasons, not because of skill level. The coach should handle the girl as well. If the girl won't stop bullying her, I would ask her to leave the gym. Cheerleading should be a safe environment away from school where bully's are more prevalent.

I agree with @wcsstilldeath there should be a 0 tolerance for bullying. You as a parent are paying large amounts of money for your child to have fun and be on a team, not for your child to get bullied. At the end of the day your a paying customer and have the right to request what ever you want (as long as its reasonable of course).

Thanks everyone! I will definite let her know our preferences in a tactful way. Just to clarify...the coaches are pretty awesome about dealing with the obvious stuff, but sometimes the girls can be sneaky. Anytime theyve witnessed something or I've brought up any concern it's been dealt with.

Yes, i agree. I was a little surprised when you said the owner was aware of the problem--they should be taking care of the issue. Your daughter shouldn't have to be placed on a team based on getting away from a bully! I might have answered "What team would she like to be on? The one down the street if you're going to allow this issue with Susie to continue into another season!" (but I'm not known for being very subtle...)

We had this issue with my oldest cp when she was cheering. There was a group of girls that followed the "bully" and pretty much destroyed our team that year. The next season when she tried out her team coach fought hard for her to be placed on a different team to split her away from the "mean girls" and she was placed on a Jr 2 team with a few of the other "victims" and the bully and entourage were placed on a youth team. It was her best season ever! She had so much fun and bonded with everyone. When one girl left they moved the bully over to help but since she didn't have her peeps and was the new kid she kept quiet the rest of the season.
I would definitely talk to the owner about it, this is supposed to be a fun activity for our kids and they shouldn't have to deal with stuff like that.

I can't believe the owner hasn't taken care of this problem child. It shouldn't come down to you asking for your child not to be on the same team with mean girl. Mean girl should be gone!!! We had a small problem like that at the beginning of this year and coach put a stop to it, and us team moms watched lil mean girl to make sure it didn't continue to happen. It definitely stopped!!

I actually think it would be more appropriate to talk to the coaches than to just let the issue be. Your coaches seem very understanding, but if for some reason they aren't when you talk to them, you may not want your cp there. Because then, it'll just seem like you're paying for your child to be miserable, when you can easily just make your child sit there and BE miserable at home for free. You know? From personal experience, I can tell you that if you let this problem slip by and she ends up on the team with the bully, depending on the extent of the bullying, it might make her think she hates cheerleading (when really it's the bully making her feel low not cheerleading) and it's certainly not a good feeling /:
Good luck! :)

Latest posts

Back