All-Star Wrist Strapping

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Isn't naproxen just like Tylenol or ibuprofen? But I must say, 500 mg does sound like quite a high dose, for anything. I hope your cp heals quickly!

Thanks for the well wishes for cp. Actually, I didn't know this until you posted but, it is the same ingredient in Aleve. Aleve is 220 mg and you aren't supposed to take more than 660 mg in a day. She was prescribed 1000 mg daily for the first week and then just 500 mg prior to practice after the first week. She was fine during the resting week at 1000 mg/daily but, not the 500 mg prior to conditioning, stunting, and tumbling.

Youngest cp is 15, has hypermobility syndrome (many gymnasts and cheerleaders have it), and therefore, also prone to mitral valve prolapse and we found out my mom has MVP about a year ago. I found out later cp had taken a Zyrtec that morning, and also, 2 Advil for cramps so, one of those may have reacted with the Naproxen. She can just take it after practice from now on instead of prior to be on the safe side. Moral of the story: Be careful with those NSAID's, I know many athletes that take them often.

Youngest cp was just diagnosed with intersection syndrome and was put on Naproxen 500 mg and rest for a week. She took the Naproxen before practice to help prevent inflammation as Dr. said and about an hour into practice she began sweating profusely, had rapid heartbeat, distorted vision, dizzy/nausea and almost passed out so, Naproxen is out before practice. @CEA_ATC and @ShoWStoppeR, if you have a moment, do you know if strapping can help with intersection syndrome? I was not able to find any tutorials specifically on IS. The tough part is she says she needs privates to help her correct poor technique with her BHS (she thinks she's rolling her wrists) which would probably help the IS overall but, she needs to rest it, as well.

If anyone has had this/has this, I would appreciate any input on what has helped you.

Intersection Syndrome - Wrist Extensor Tendon Pain

Okay, before I get started I have a quick question, I noticed in one of your other posts you mentioned one of your girls has hypermobility syndrome, is this the same one with this wrist pain?

Just a few thoughts on the matter for you-
1. I will start by saying, don't use KT tape. As some have mentioned, if not used correctly, it can do more harm than good. I also wrote my final research paper on it in undergrad, and basically the research concludes that there is not enough evidence to prove its effectiveness, and for the price it goes for these days, I would rather stick with my white tape that I know does the trick.
2. That being said, you might not like this answer, but I also avoid taping altogether. Sure, I'll tape the kid that has an acute ankle sprain and is doing rehab with me while also trying to get back into the game. But chronic conditions? It's definitely a case by case scenario type thing. I don't like to consistently use it because kids tend to use it as a crutch, and to avoid treating the underlying cause. What we do as ATCs is just as much about the mental aspect as it is the physical, and I don't like my kids to get the notion in their heads that they NEED to get taped to play well. (again, some exceptions... try telling your varsity football coach that his starters don't need their wrists taped lol)
3. The underlying cause- in your daughter's case, tendinitis, is a chronic inflammatory condition. Prescribing her Naproxen is only going to help decrease the inflammation, which sounds like a good fix right? Yeah, until she goes to practice and flares it back up again. If something is chronically flaring up, that means there's something else going on as well. Whether it's weakness in structures, a change in the biomechanics of the joint, etc. So the best place to start? Strengthening around the joint. Often times people get the idea in their head that they only have to strengthen the part that hurts, IE- I sprained my ankle, so I only need to do ankle exercises. wrong. The whole body is a kinetic chain, so everything is essentially connected and can impact another joint. Wrist injuries are tricky to rehab sometimes just because of the nature of the joint. You're suppose to strengthen around, aka above and below, the joint, so in the wrist, that would be the hand and the forearm. Some of my wrist injuries I even include shoulder exercises depending on what the injury is. But you can only get so creative with exercises for the hand. What you need to do is strengthen your intrinsic muscles in the hand, the tiny tendons that run through them. Things you can do for this include getting a stress ball and squeezing it, or something like playdoh or silly putty, and have them work it over and over until their hand is sore. I think you can buy those grip masters as well at like dicks sporting goods or even honestly walmart. those can help as well. I've never seen the webs in stores, but if you have them, also worth investing in. As far as the forearm goes, you can start with some basic wrist extension/flexion, ulnar and radial deviation, forearm pronation/supination, and elbow flexion/extension exercises. Depending on her pain, you may be able to just have her start with active range of motion with it (doing it without any weight or resistance) and then progressing to bands or dumbbells. You will probably have better luck finding dumbbells in stores than bands. I tried to find some good videos on youtube to show you how to do them, but they are all like 8 minute videos full of crap you don't need. It's just kind of hard to put some of it into words. But basically you're trying to strengthen AND stretch all of those movements. don't underestimate the importance of stretching it out. Some people forget about those "less important" muscles... most cheerleaders are focused on the bigger picture that usually involves things related to heel stretches, scorpions, etc...
Sorry for the long winded message, I'm a nerd and I get excited to educate people on this stuff rather than just telling them what to do. I like to touch on the why. If you're confused about anything or still have more questions, feel free to PM me!

PS- just because this is the perfect time to throw it out there, this is just one more perfect example of why I want ATCs in cheer gyms. If there were, I wouldn't have to explain to a mom via a cheer board how to help take care of her athlete, I would be able to be there to take care of her, and potentially prevent the injury from happening in the first place. just some of me .02 cents for the day :)

Okay, before I get started I have a quick question, I noticed in one of your other posts you mentioned one of your girls has hypermobility syndrome, is this the same one with this wrist pain?

1. I will start by saying, don't use KT tape. As some have mentioned, if not used correctly, it can do more harm than good. I also wrote my final research paper on it in undergrad, and basically the research concludes that there is not enough evidence to prove its effectiveness, and for the price it goes for these days, I would rather stick with my white tape that I know does the trick.
2. That being said, you might not like this answer, but I also avoid taping altogether. Sure, I'll tape the kid that has an acute ankle sprain and is doing rehab with me while also trying to get back into the game. But chronic conditions? It's definitely a case by case scenario type thing. I don't like to consistently use it because kids tend to use it as a crutch, and to avoid treating the underlying cause. What we do as ATCs is just as much about the mental aspect as it is the physical, and I don't like my kids to get the notion in their heads that they NEED to get taped to play well. (again, some exceptions... try telling your varsity football coach that his starters don't need their wrists taped lol)
3. The underlying cause- in your daughter's case, tendinitis, is a chronic inflammatory condition. Prescribing her Naproxen is only going to help decrease the inflammation, which sounds like a good fix right? Yeah, until she goes to practice and flares it back up again. If something is chronically flaring up, that means there's something else going on as well. Whether it's weakness in structures, a change in the biomechanics of the joint, etc. So the best place to start? Strengthening around the joint. Often times people get the idea in their head that they only have to strengthen the part that hurts, IE- I sprained my ankle, so I only need to do ankle exercises. wrong. The whole body is a kinetic chain, so everything is essentially connected and can impact another joint. Wrist injuries are tricky to rehab sometimes just because of the nature of the joint. You're suppose to strengthen around, aka above and below, the joint, so in the wrist, that would be the hand and the forearm. Some of my wrist injuries I even include shoulder exercises depending on what the injury is. But you can only get so creative with exercises for the hand. What you need to do is strengthen your intrinsic muscles in the hand, the tiny tendons that run through them. Things you can do for this include getting a stress ball and squeezing it, or something like playdoh or silly putty, and have them work it over and over until their hand is sore. I think you can buy those grip masters as well at like dicks sporting goods or even honestly walmart. those can help as well. I've never seen the webs in stores, but if you have them, also worth investing in. As far as the forearm goes, you can start with some basic wrist extension/flexion, ulnar and radial deviation, forearm pronation/supination, and elbow flexion/extension exercises. Depending on her pain, you may be able to just have her start with active range of motion with it (doing it without any weight or resistance) and then progressing to bands or dumbbells. You will probably have better luck finding dumbbells in stores than bands. I tried to find some good videos on youtube to show you how to do them, but they are all like 8 minute videos full of crap you don't need. It's just kind of hard to put some of it into words. But basically you're trying to strengthen AND stretch all of those movements. don't underestimate the importance of stretching it out. Some people forget about those "less important" muscles... most cheerleaders are focused on the bigger picture that usually involves things related to heel stretches, scorpions, etc...
Sorry for the long winded message, I'm a nerd and I get excited to educate people on this stuff rather than just telling them what to do. I like to touch on the why. If you're confused about anything or still have more questions, feel free to PM me!

PS- just because this is the perfect time to throw it out there, this is just one more perfect example of why I want ATCs in cheer gyms. If there were, I wouldn't have to explain to a mom via a cheer board how to help take care of her athlete, I would be able to be there to take care of her, and potentially prevent the injury from happening in the first place. just some of me .02 cents for the day :)
Thank you for saying everything I was going to say. I'm a nerd about this stuff, too (obviously or I wouldn't have chosen my career path). I'm patiently waiting for PT's in cheer gyms to become a thing in the US so I can have my dream job lol. Or maybe I'll just start it on my own.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, I greatly appreciate it! And, yes, the cp with hypermobility syndrome is the same one with wrist pain. Over the years she has dislocated her elbows (when she was younger) and knees (in the past few years), and if she stands with her hip out, it will pop in and out on its own. She basically scored on everything on the Beighton scale, she can bend thumbs back to forearm, several fingers bend back 90 degrees, palms can go flat to floor if bending at the waist, feet can go behind her head, has dislocated knees (I guess elbows don't count), and knees and elbows hyper extend beyond normal. Her PT has told her many times to work on her stability versus her flexibility. It was, also, her PT, not the orthopedic, that pointed out and warned us about congenital issues that can be an issue with hypermobility which is why I've told her to stop taking the Naproxen before practice since she almost passed out. Again, thank you, for your response, she read it and went and found a stress ball to work with.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, I greatly appreciate it! And, yes, the cp with hypermobility syndrome is the same one with wrist pain. Over the years she has dislocated her elbows (when she was younger) and knees (in the past few years), and if she stands with her hip out, it will pop in and out on its own. She basically scored on everything on the Beighton scale, she can bend thumbs back to forearm, several fingers bend back 90 degrees, palms can go flat to floor if bending at the waist, feet can go behind her head, has dislocated knees (I guess elbows don't count), and knees and elbows hyper extend beyond normal. Her PT has told her many times to work on her stability versus her flexibility. It was, also, her PT, not the orthopedic, that pointed out and warned us about congenital issues that can be an issue with hypermobility which is why I've told her to stop taking the Naproxen before practice since she almost passed out. Again, thank you, for your response, she read it and went and found a stress ball to work with.

okay, I asked because I was going to advise the same thing,- people with such condition need to focus on stability rather than flexibility, which can be a difficult concept to grasp as a cheerleader, especially if she's a flyer. The joint issues can be, for lack of better words right now because I haven't had morning coffee, contained/controlled. I know it may seem tedious to have to essentially do rehab for all of her body, but if that what it takes to minimize the damage done by potential dislocations and potentially stay in this sport longer, it's definitely worth it. Honestly, this statement applies to all cheerleaders, healthy and injured alike. It's called injury prevention, aka taking care of the body and targeting the potential issues before they actually become one. **cough cough, why cheer gyms needs ATCs, cough cough**. I get that certain coaches are good about doing "conditioning" but injury prevention, from our standpoint, goes way beyond that, and it's definitely a skill set I would want in my gym as a coach training present and future world champions and everything in between.

It's the congenital issues that can be more worrisome that you unfortunately can't necessarily be quite as proactive about, besides doing exactly what you're doing and being a cautious parent :)

If you every have more questions about anything, or know anyone else that does, I'm only a message away! I love what I do, and I love to help others, so I get just excited about helping you as you do to get the help !

Isn't naproxen just like Tylenol or ibuprofen? But I must say, 500 mg does sound like quite a high dose, for anything. I hope your cp heals quickly!
It's an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory) like ibuprofen. Tylenol is a different class and is not anti-inflammatory. It's why you can alternate the two for pain relief/fever. Naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve) is only to be taken twice daily, as needed and with food.

Thanks for the well wishes for cp. Actually, I didn't know this until you posted but, it is the same ingredient in Aleve. Aleve is 220 mg and you aren't supposed to take more than 660 mg in a day. She was prescribed 1000 mg daily for the first week and then just 500 mg prior to practice after the first week. She was fine during the resting week at 1000 mg/daily but, not the 500 mg prior to conditioning, stunting, and tumbling.

Youngest cp is 15, has hypermobility syndrome (many gymnasts and cheerleaders have it), and therefore, also prone to mitral valve prolapse and we found out my mom has MVP about a year ago. I found out later cp had taken a Zyrtec that morning, and also, 2 Advil for cramps so, one of those may have reacted with the Naproxen. She can just take it after practice from now on instead of prior to be on the safe side. Moral of the story: Be careful with those NSAID's, I know many athletes that take them often.

I would call your physician's office, but one should not take Advil, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Naprosyn, Aleve or Aspirin, Mobic, Celebrex, etc. when taking naproxen. I'm sure that was a scary incident for her. I hope she does well on her recovery!

Latest posts

Back