All-Star Wrist Strapping

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 3, 2014
So last yr I started out in a new stunting spot and I was having wrist problems. We had a guest coach with us one day who strapped my wrist and I can't remember for the life of me how he did it. It was like around the wrist then across the hand.

If anyone could tell me what type of strapping this was that would be awesome!!

I have no idea but I would recommend using KT tape! It's a specific kind of tape that you can buy at your local drug store, there's instructions in the box and online on how to apply it, I use it for anything that needs a little extra support and it works great!

I have no idea but I would recommend using KT tape! It's a specific kind of tape that you can buy at your local drug store, there's instructions in the box and online on how to apply it, I use it for anything that needs a little extra support and it works great!

We have rock tape which is basically the same thing and I use it on my knees. I haven't thought about trying it on my wrists, I also think I like the feel of conventional taping better

Be careful with KT tape. I've heard from physical therapists that if you apply it incorrectly, it can do more harm than good. My coed partners always use conventional athletic tape around their wrists. I truly think it's more of a mental thing than physical. Once we've been stunting for a while, the tape isn't doing much anyway.

Be careful with KT tape. I've heard from physical therapists that if you apply it incorrectly, it can do more harm than good. My coed partners always use conventional athletic tape around their wrists. I truly think it's more of a mental thing than physical. Once we've been stunting for a while, the tape isn't doing much anyway.

:confused: kt tape bad? Uh oh probably best if I stuck to conventional strapping then

:confused: kt tape bad? Uh oh probably best if I stuck to conventional strapping then
KT tape definitely has mixed reviews, and it can for sure cause further problems if not used correctly. Most research shows that it sometimes can provide short term pain relief while doing activity, but it does not fix the underlying problem causing the pain. And it's not always effective even when used correctly. Stretching and strengthening is a better solution to decrease the pain. It may hurt more in the short term, but it will help a lot in the long run.
To each their own, but I typically don't like seeing people just throw a brace/strap on everything to try and fix something. More often than not, I've found that it makes the problem worse by causing the muscles to get weak. Don't get me wrong, they definitely have their purposes, but I feel like I see too many athletes these days just tape/brace something and not do anything to try and fix it. Though I think a lot of that has come from the mentality of playing/competing while injured.
I'm not trying to call you out at all or say you do this so I hope you don't take it that way, just using your post as a jumping off point to vent a little haha.

agreed with @luv2cheer92 - I am certified with rock tape (though the same as any brand kinesiotape), which was a two part seminar series. Odds are just following instructions on the box or looking at pictures of other people's tape can cause more harm than good if you don't know exactly what problem you're taping for. Long term rehab/strengthening is the ideal solution; I do occasionally use tape but more for the "I hurt this today at practice and have to play in the game tomorrow" type athletes. It's short term and just to get them through a game or to the off-season where we can really concentrate on fixing the problem and preventing it from happening in the future.

that's not the answer you wanted, I know, so I hope you find what you're looking for and get some relief in your wrists!

skip all the tape. buy bandannas. stephen f austin state university where i got my undergrad has been doing it for year. you can adjust how tight you make it by how hard you pull, they are reusable, they do not pull out hair, they are cheap as all get out and can be found anywhere, they support way better than tape due to thickness, and you look like a boss when you wear them. couple hundred college national champions and partner stunt champions cant be wrong. if you want to try it out, message me and ill make a little video showing you how to do it correctly.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! Just to make things clear I do play up injuries or look for attention through injuries.

One of my wrists are slightly weaker then the other and although it doesn't bother me in my current stunting spot (which is a main base) if I get swapped to a side base it will cause some pain issues cause it's not what I'm used to. (New year. New level. New club) it strengthens on its own and I won't need it after a few training sessions but those first ones are really painful and stretching and strengthening alone doesn't seem to help.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! Just to make things clear I do play up injuries or look for attention through injuries.

One of my wrists are slightly weaker then the other and although it doesn't bother me in my current stunting spot (which is a main base) if I get swapped to a side base it will cause some pain issues cause it's not what I'm used to. (New year. New level. New club) it strengthens on its own and I won't need it after a few training sessions but those first ones are really painful and stretching and strengthening alone doesn't seem to help.
I definitely agree with what's been said above about injuries being unique case by case, but I think taping while working on strengthening your wrists could definitely help. I had similar problems to the ones you described and I always did a modified boxer's tape (idk what else to call it) for competitions. You can kinda see what I mean in this picture. It wraps around your palm and to a little past your wrist. I'd get someone who is knowledgeable to tape you up first until you get the hang of it or else you could cause yourself a pretty good amount of pain.

ETA: I'm referring to Megan's tape not the boy's!
tumblr_mz5m6eUkNE1r5cexzo1_1280.jpg

Paging resident athletic trainers @ShoWStoppeR and @CEA_ATC. They could probably help with this.
Since I got called in... lol

Wrist taping, when done correctly, can give you some of that protection/relief. The one I am linking here is a pretty good tutorial about how to do a good, supportive wrist tape to prevent some wrist flexion ( can also be done to prevent some extension). It moves slowly enough to catch on to it. Good quality tape is a must, and keeping that hand nice and widely spread when applying are important. You will get the hang of it, whether you are learning to tape yourself (hard) or getting someone to learn how to do it for you. Worth noting: only the tape that goes up and through the hand can actually give you the support. The one that stays below the hand only is a mental crutch or a spot for the flyer to grip the wrists of her base (like the UK pic), which are often sweaty. No support there.

Youngest cp was just diagnosed with intersection syndrome and was put on Naproxen 500 mg and rest for a week. She took the Naproxen before practice to help prevent inflammation as Dr. said and about an hour into practice she began sweating profusely, had rapid heartbeat, distorted vision, dizzy/nausea and almost passed out so, Naproxen is out before practice. @CEA_ATC and @ShoWStoppeR, if you have a moment, do you know if strapping can help with intersection syndrome? I was not able to find any tutorials specifically on IS. The tough part is she says she needs privates to help her correct poor technique with her BHS (she thinks she's rolling her wrists) which would probably help the IS overall but, she needs to rest it, as well.

If anyone has had this/has this, I would appreciate any input on what has helped you.

Intersection Syndrome - Wrist Extensor Tendon Pain

Youngest cp was just diagnosed with intersection syndrome and was put on Naproxen 500 mg and rest for a week. She took the Naproxen before practice to help prevent inflammation as Dr. said and about an hour into practice she began sweating profusely, had rapid heartbeat, distorted vision, dizzy/nausea and almost passed out so, Naproxen is out before practice. @CEA_ATC and @ShoWStoppeR, if you have a moment, do you know if strapping can help with intersection syndrome? I was not able to find any tutorials specifically on IS. The tough part is she says she needs privates to help her correct poor technique with her BHS (she thinks she's rolling her wrists) which would probably help the IS overall but, she needs to rest it, as well.

If anyone has had this/has this, I would appreciate any input on what has helped you.

Intersection Syndrome - Wrist Extensor Tendon Pain
Isn't naproxen just like Tylenol or ibuprofen? But I must say, 500 mg does sound like quite a high dose, for anything. I hope your cp heals quickly!

Isn't naproxen just like Tylenol or ibuprofen? But I must say, 500 mg does sound like quite a high dose, for anything. I hope your cp heals quickly!

When I had torticollis two summers ago, I was taking 2,400 mg of prescription ibuprofen daily in addition to muscle relaxers. I googled it before I took it because it sounded absurdly high and it's apparently the most you're supposed to take in a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETA: I'm also (technically) an adult so 500 mg in one dose for a child seems like a bunch.

Last edited:
Back