OT 2016 Rio Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'd have to assume Rio's number 1 priority right now is the Olympics and atleast finishing the stadiums and athlete housing. The rest of the issues will probably fall to the wayside because they aren't as high on the agenda as those two things. They obviosuly lack time and money to address all the concerns, but those two things will be in the spotlight the most since those affect the atheletes "the most" while the cameras are filming at the games. If I were coming up with a "damage control" plan for Rio and the Olympic Games, those two things would be my top priorities to get done and I'd probably abandon all other projects. But between zika and the rising crime rate and the lack of security and the state of Rio atm, I'm more worried for the spectators and the journalists and even the atheltes safety and well-being. I don't think I'd attend this Olympics as a spectator if I had the opprotunity to.

Side note: I almost had a few of my designs shown at the Rio Olympics this summer. And then it fell through and I'm still salty about it. So happy TBT. Grumble grumble grumble.

Just watched my little sister's (via sorority) little brother swim in trials! He finished close to the top of his heat in the 200 back! His goal isn't to make it, he's only 16 and has a lot of time ahead of him. But how cool must it be just to swim in the same pool as your idols? He's been alive as long as Phelps has been making Olympic runs. That's insane!

Double post, oops.

I know Rio has their issues (Zika, anyone?), but this "not finished" business comes up every Olympic cycle. Construction always runs behind and there's a last minute scramble around this time. The only one in recent memory that I don't remember this coming up was Beijing. Athens was WAAAY behind and they had to scrap a bunch of extras they had planned. There was even an SNL skit about it.

It always gets pulled together, but at what cost?

Last edited:
I hope that countries are taking precautions when sending their athletes, coaches and staff. I understand that every country has it's problems and that sometimes the news exaggerates the negative, but this seems extreme. The health risks alone are enough to make anyone want to stay home. Add in the crime rate... yikes. At least, countries should be sending extra security for their athletes and coaches.

Newest story: Yesterday body parts were found on the beach that beach volleyball is to take place on.

If Rio isn't ready on time, what happens? I can't imagine world class coaches and athletes being okay with sprinting on a track with holes, or swimmers in a pool that is the wrong temperature, gymnasts on shoddy equipment, unsafe housing, etc. It would be like Mat Gate times 1000.
This thread sent me on a google search. Sounds like its so much worse than that! Swimming pool being the wrong temperature is the best sounding situation. Sounds like their water is sewage. They don't have the money or resources to properly clean the water. There was an aerial shot on one site that showed the sewage in the bay.

You couldn't pay me money to go to Rio! While all of their problems seem to be at an all time high, they've been known for these problems for years. I don't know why they picked Rio in the first place. As bad as it is before, I can't help but think that Rio will be worse off once the Olympics leave.

As bad as it is before, I can't help but think that Rio will be worse off once the Olympics leave.

Read: Athens.
After Brazil managing to barely get it together for the World Cup 2 years ago, I thought Rio might take some learnings and push on. I hope things get better....

Or they can bring it back here! Loved the city during 2012!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Newest story: Yesterday body parts were found on the beach that beach volleyball is to take place on.

This thread sent me on a google search. Sounds like its so much worse than that! Swimming pool being the wrong temperature is the best sounding situation. Sounds like their water is sewage. They don't have the money or resources to properly clean the water. There was an aerial shot on one site that showed the sewage in the bay.

You couldn't pay me money to go to Rio! While all of their problems seem to be at an all time high, they've been known for these problems for years. I don't know why they picked Rio in the first place. As bad as it is before, I can't help but think that Rio will be worse off once the Olympics leave.

I agree with you. Brazil is forced to put millions of dollars into facilities, which is millions of dollars that it doesn't have right now. Has a country ever declined to host the games? But, I guess if they really can't get it together, the games could go back to London since the facilities are probably still up.

I hope that countries are taking precautions when sending their athletes, coaches and staff. I understand that every country has it's problems and that sometimes the news exaggerates the negative, but this seems extreme. The health risks alone are enough to make anyone want to stay home. Add in the crime rate... yikes. At least, countries should be sending extra security for their athletes and coaches.
I've read that after the Olympics the zika virus will be spread worldwide as athletes and spectators will be bringing it home with them.

YES. I've been saying that since the problems with Rio started. In my incredibly biased opinion, I think we did a fabulous job at hosting:cool:
[emoji23] agreed! I'm an east Londoner through and through, would be a pleasure to have the world on our doorstep again, the city was genuinely a much nicer place and the regeneration in Stratford has been a great bonus.

[emoji23] agreed! I'm an east Londoner through and through, would be a pleasure to have the world on our doorstep again, the city was genuinely a much nicer place and the regeneration in Stratford has been a great bonus.

Ah you've got more bragging rights than me then haha, I'm a South Londoner!

So good to hear the positive impact it had on the area :)

Zika is already *in* most of the world.

It's winter in South America, so apparently the mosquitos won't be as bad as they were before.

Basically every major sporting event is a clusterfudge right before it begins. (Except Salt Lake City, thank you Mitt Romney for saving the day on that one.)

Fun fact: The only World Cup that made money was the one hosted by the US in 1994.

Still bitter Chicago wasnt selected. Still remember watching the selection from my desk as work and feeling devastated

Not at all worried about Zika, but since I was in college I planned to attend the 2016 Olympics....once Rio was announced I scratched that.

Hopefully life choices (aka starting a family ) won't keep me from Tokyo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back