OT 2016 Rio Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
i just dont know if i have that much sympathy for brazil then, i get it people shouldnt come to their country and vandalize things. but according to multiple reports now, the most the swimmers did was pee on a sidewalk and tear down a poster. (the whole destroying a bathroom thing, i find harder to believe since reading other witness accounts)
by the swimmers accounts the "security" wanted money right then and there for damages which apparently they got $200 out of them that night. Then they get arrested and their bail is set at 30k, then apparently according to Feigens story they tried to raise it to over 40k (probably once they released he was a gold medal olympian) eventually they agreed to 10k to release him.
its just shadiness all around from all parties.
im surprised lochte is still sticking to his story after all his team mates went through.

Honestly, they got lucky that they were famous enough for people to rally around them for information and got off with a pretty light fine given the country at hand. Remember, there are countries that still allow their police to beat you if you step out of line and that's perfectly legal and acceptable. When we lived in Germany we were warned that we could be pulled over and be expected to pay a fine on the spot if the police deemed it appropriate---never happened, but it could have happened.

For the drama ratings alone, I would consider watching this season.

I did hear on the radio today that Biles was asked to do it and turned it down saying she would love to next year.

http://view.email.ussoccer.com/?qs=...2f7130cbd4d501ca1b4c4d2a8c60dbf2cd39a031091c8

Hope Solo suspended from US soccer for 6 months due to her comments after their loss at the olympics.

I knew her mouth would eventually catch up with her; kind of surprised that it took this long.

At least he still has his looks! He may be a moron, but he sure is nice to look at, especially now that is hair is his normal color. ;)
I noticed his hair was back to normal when he did his first on-camera interview... Probably to make him seem more of a victim. Because a person with blue (green? gray? silver?) hair seems a little more boisterous than just normal ol' hair.

ETA: I finally got around to watching the closing ceremony, and the video segway into Japan's section got me hyped for Tokyo 2020!

i just dont know if i have that much sympathy for brazil then, i get it people shouldnt come to their country and vandalize things. but according to multiple reports now, the most the swimmers did was pee on a sidewalk and tear down a poster. (the whole destroying a bathroom thing, i find harder to believe since reading other witness accounts)
by the swimmers accounts the "security" wanted money right then and there for damages which apparently they got $200 out of them that night. Then they get arrested and their bail is set at 30k, then apparently according to Feigens story they tried to raise it to over 40k (probably once they released he was a gold medal olympian) eventually they agreed to 10k to release him.
its just shadiness all around from all parties.
im surprised lochte is still sticking to his story after all his team mates went through.
I don't think we should be treating them all like victims – what they did was vandalism and public urination... In any country that would draw a fine. And it wasn't $200, it was more like $50 between them.

While I get that the story has different layers and viewpoints, I'm not liking the continued vilification of Brazil as a country. When you go to another country and break their laws, you have to accept the consequences. Calling it 'extortion' and insinuating that the security guards weren't legit isn't quite fair. Just because Brazil has a complex history of crime and corruption, doesn't mean we can immediately assume that everything there is crime and corruption.

I don't think we should be treating them all like victims – what they did was vandalism and public urination... In any country that would draw a fine. And it wasn't $200, it was more like $50 between them.

While I get that the story has different layers and viewpoints, I'm not liking the continued vilification of Brazil as a country. When you go to another country and break their laws, you have to accept the consequences. Calling it 'extortion' and insinuating that the security guards weren't legit isn't quite fair. Just because Brazil has a complex history of crime and corruption, doesn't mean we can immediately assume that everything there is crime and corruption.

Brazil has a long history of corruption. And it has been documented that the Rio police are the most corrupt police in Brazil.

There are new stories coming out that Lochte & Friends didn't destroy the bathroom like the guards said they did. Apparently there's new footage that shows that lochte never even went into the bathroom. And speculation of the guards/police editing out the part of the video where they draw guns on the swimmers in the taxi. And that the police pulled the swimmers from their flights and didn't even question them. Like they did it just to make a scene and continue this story further because they knew the world would eat it up. I also ask in what country do you "make a donation" in lieu of a (mostly fabricated) crime before ever entering the justice system? And in what non-corrupt system do the police say "oh you made a donation, free to go, all charges dropped despite allegedly lying to police and destroying property"? Not sure what the fines for public urination and ripping down a poster are in Brazil but I find it hard to believe it's anywhere near the $11,000 the swimmer "donated to charity".

I still dont know who or what to really believe as fact but the more this story starts to unravel, it seems as though the Rio police fabricated as much of the story as lochte did to his mom. Except they then used their power to get money out of it and sympathy from the world. Seems like extortion to me. A non-corrupt police force wouldn't have fabricated a false story to make them look good, they would've said "wait all of this doesn't add up" and actually done an honest investigation to uncover real facts.

Last edited:
Brazil has a long history of corruption. And it has been documented that the Rio police are the most corrupt police in Brazil.

There are new stories coming out that Lochte & Friends didn't destroy the bathroom like the guards said they did. Apparently there's new footage that shows that lochte never even went into the bathroom. And speculation of the guards/police editing out the part of the video where they draw guns on the swimmers in the taxi. And that the police pulled the swimmers from their flights and didn't even question them. Like they did it just to make a scene and continue this story further because they knew the world would eat it up. I also ask in what country do you "make a donation" in lieu of a (mostly fabricated) crime before ever entering the justice system? And in what non-corrupt system do the police say "oh you made a donation, free to go, all charges dropped despite allegedly lying to police and destroying property"? Not sure what the fines for public urination and ripping down a poster are in Brazil but I find it hard to believe it's anywhere near the $11,000 the swimmer "donated to charity".

I still dont know who or what to really believe as fact but the more this story starts to unravel, it seems as though the Rio police fabricated as much of the story as lochte did to his mom. Except they then used their power to get money out of it and sympathy from the world. Seems like extortion to me. A non-corrupt police force wouldn't have fabricated a false story to make them look good, they would've said "wait all of this doesn't add up" and actually done an honest investigation to uncover real facts.

literally took the words right out of my mouth.
i would have never really questioned the story, if brazil authorities never mentioned they made the swimmers pay a "donation" fee. 11k is a pretty steep donation fee if you ask me, especially considering they originally wanted over 30k out of the guy in original negotiations. Which makes me think they trumped up the charges to justify the steep fines.
never mind the fact that brazil authorities have a pretty long history of doing this in general to people.

My point is that Brazil is a complex country, and the whole story leading up to the Olympics was the question of its safety. For Lochte to immediately jump to 'I was pulled out of a taxi by a guy with a fake badge who cocked a gun to my head!' is perpetuating that narrative. Which is offensive and more than a little bit racist.

Regardless of what Lochte and his Stooges did in the bathroom, we know that they peed on the wall and pulled down an advertisement from outside the gas station. That is vandalism, pure and simple. And regardless of the actions of the security guards, Lochte still lied. He made himself the proud hero, refusing to get down on the ground when confronted by the evil Brazilian police force. That is the epitome of white privilege.

My point is that Brazil is a complex country, and the whole story leading up to the Olympics was the question of its safety. For Lochte to immediately jump to 'I was pulled out of a taxi by a guy with a fake badge who cocked a gun to my head!' is perpetuating that narrative. Which is offensive and more than a little bit racist.

Regardless of what Lochte and his Stooges did in the bathroom, we know that they peed on the wall and pulled down an advertisement from outside the gas station. That is vandalism, pure and simple. And regardless of the actions of the security guards, Lochte still lied. He made himself the proud hero, refusing to get down on the ground when confronted by the evil Brazilian police force. That is the epitome of white privilege.

please lets not make this a race thing, i think its more along the lines of rich privilege more then anything...
im not trying to defend lochte and his actions, but the brazilian police force arent innocent angels in this either. Even with the turth of the events coming to light, ive still read that the brazil police are still sticking to the fact that they trashed a bathroom, and lochte is just playing the "i dont know what going on" role pretty well.
the only people who have lost so far is the swimmers who had to pay 10 grand to go home.

and plenty of people from all walks of life lie on a daily basis to get them selfs out of jail, etc. so i wouldnt put that in the category of white privilege.

i know ive read that brazil plans on extraditing him to face charges, but i wonder how likely that will actually happen.

i know ive read that brazil plans on extraditing him to face charges, but i wonder how likely that will actually happen.

Pretty sure this won't happen. From what I've heard, the US has an extradition treaty with Brazil, however it's only for more serious offences, such as murder, rape, kidnapping, etc. I don't think the US government would take an extradition request for this seriously.

please lets not make this a race thing, i think its more along the lines of rich privilege more then anything...
im not trying to defend lochte and his actions, but the brazilian police force arent innocent angels in this either. Even with the turth of the events coming to light, ive still read that the brazil police are still sticking to the fact that they trashed a bathroom, and lochte is just playing the "i dont know what going on" role pretty well.
the only people who have lost so far is the swimmers who had to pay 10 grand to go home.

and plenty of people from all walks of life lie on a daily basis to get them selfs out of jail, etc. so i wouldnt put that in the category of white privilege.

It is a race thing.
There's a reason people were so quick to believe Lochte when he started spouting his ludicrous story: because the corruption/fake police badges/robbery thing is a stereotype that Brazilians hate and get very offended by.

It is a race thing.
There's a reason people were so quick to believe Lochte when he started spouting his ludicrous story: because the corruption/fake police badges/robbery thing is a stereotype that Brazilians hate and get very offended by.
ehh if thats what people want to claim then by all means. I think people believed him more because he is the all american, 12 time olympic medalist, not because he was white. brazil's history of corruption is a pretty well known thing, has been for years, its not something people pulled out of no where and started.
if the tables were turned and say it was a canadian athlete, or a uk athlete or australian athlete, etc, etc. im sure plenty of australians/canadian. etc would have automatically assumed their athlete was telling the truth. Its just human nature sometimes.
in the end he lied, and at this point he deserves all the crap he's getting or about to get.

Last edited:
It is a race thing.

Are you Brazilian or have ties to Brazil? Just wondering.

The "ludicrous story" that was told by Lochte and friends, though embellished in some areas, is shaping up to be mostly true... so what is there to be offended by? The civil police chief in Brazil himself admitted that the two security guards were in fact state agents; local news outlets reported that they worked at the prison nearby and were doing private security when Lochte and company showed up. So seems like no fake badges there. If they did flash badges, they were real. (USA TODAY Sports investigation raises questions about Rio cops, Lochte incident

As for the corruption and robbery, it's not a complete lie. At first, it seems as if the athletes thought they were getting robbed, because of the language barrier, until another person, who spoke English and Portuguese, stepped in and translated for both parties. (Refer to previous USA Today article.) It's not a lie that there is a lot of corruption in Brazil. And street robberies in Rio have gone up a reported 24% from a year ago - murders up 15ish%. (Facing crime wave, Brazil to deploy 85,000 soldiers and police to guard Olympics - The Washington Post) There have also been reports of tourists being held up in Rio prior to the Games starting. So it wasn't like they didn't have a reason to think they were being held up. (Side note: if they were forced to pay more than what their "damages" amounted to, you could argue it was technically a robbery. But I'm not that petty nor do I really care.)

You can be mad at the swimmers all you want. But Brazil/Rio police have as much to do with the scandal as the swimmers do, in my opinion, more so. The difference is that, though the story might very well have been embellished by Lochte, the police force, a group with power, engaged in dishonest and fraudulent conduct, which is the definition of corruption. Verbatim.

Last edited:
Back