All-Star 4-year-old Cheerleader To Be...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Seriously - you have never been attacked. Your posts have been responded to by several posters all telling you the same thing and you don't like the answers so you argue and get defensive and insist you are right.

Maybe a little like you say but I also feel I was misunderstood and some people just assumed I was another 3-y-o BHS mom, which is not what I was trying to say at all. It's all good now though! :cool:

For what it's worth- Sacha started all star at age 14, Little at 11, Mini at 8 (I think?)

Sach is in her super-senior year on a high-profile team, Little is in recovery, getting dubs back and whatnot, and Mini moved on to other sports.
Sacha never had one single private. Little has a $1000 standing tuck and Mini has level 5 skills that he got by himself but doesn't use.
I say that to convey that there's just no rush. Honestly, "gym rat"-ing did more to get my kids' skills than anything and it's hard to do that when they're young.
I'm with little on the $1000 (probably more :oops: ) standing tuck. :D

I'm with little on the $1000 (probably more :oops: ) standing tuck. :D

My CP's standing tuck took her longer to get than any tumbling skill to date. She worked on it for almost a year before it become reliable - just really struggled w/ the timing more than anything physical about it. It was actually a running joke about how she couldn't get in spite of picking up skills that are thought of as much harder pretty quickly. Every skill is different for every kid. The key is to keep at it.

My CP's standing tuck took her longer to get than any tumbling skill to date. She worked on it for almost a year before it become reliable - just really struggled w/ the timing more than anything physical about it. It was actually a running joke about how she couldn't get in spite of picking up skills that are thought of as much harder pretty quickly. Every skill is different for every kid. The key is to keep at it.
My standing tuck cost me nothing - I learnt it at a beach off a slight lean in the sandy hill, i then took it to the gym and hit it consistently. My round off tuck which I learnt through MANY privates and loads of open gym, tumble classes etc and I still struggle with... tumbling is purely a mind game and no amount of privates, money or whatever are going to get you that skill, although, it does help.

Can you imagine breaking down the cost a parent spends on each tumbling skill? Factor in the time they spend on it at practice divided by monthly tuition, tumbling classes, privates, open gyms, ect. That would be super interesting to me but probably horrifying. BHS cost $xxx, running tuck cost $xx, full cost $xxxx.....
Shhh don't ask those questions...let everyone stay in denial :p

Because the truth is horrifying.

Can you imagine breaking down the cost a parent spends on each tumbling skill? Factor in the time they spend on it at practice divided by monthly tuition, tumbling classes, privates, open gyms, ect. That would be super interesting to me but probably horrifying. BHS cost $xxx, running tuck cost $xx, full cost $xxxx.....
If you ever figure it out PLEASE don't tell my husband. He has no clue that cheerleading costs any more than the monthly tuition. CP and I prefer he stays in the dark for as long as possible!!!

So, those of you that spend x amounts of $$$ on skills... Was it because your child wanted to do privates and tumbling classes because they really wanted to learn the skills, or was it because there was pressure from coaches that they needed to have those skills? Or maybe a bit of both?

So, those of you that spend x amounts of $$$ on skills... Was it because your child wanted to do privates and tumbling classes because they really wanted to learn the skills, or was it because there was pressure from coaches that they needed to have those skills? Or maybe a bit of both?
For me it's always been because I wanted privates to get better

At both of the gyms by CP's have cheered for (past small gym & current large gym) you have to have already mastered the skills to be placed on that team level. So, the only pressure from the gyms would be to keep the skills you had at try outs. I think that is fair. My CP's enjoy tumbling, learning new skills, and progressing. They also know if they want to move up to a higher level team in a new season their skills need to be improving.

A combination. She really wanted the skill, coach pressures, team mate pressures... I think I've spent $300 in the past two weeks to gain back a skill she had but then lost. But after yesterday's private, it's back and it was well worth the $300 to see her get her confidence back!

The convo about privates going on in here makes me think of something I posted before in another thread about privates. It bears repeating again here as people start equating more $$ spent on privates to skills:

The biggest thing with privates is the quality of the session not QUANTITY of privates.

Many parents/athletes think 3-5 privates a week is benefitting their child.

However, they don't realize that their child spends 10 min of the private in the restroom, getting water, or that the coach is not efficient in managing time to help the athlete get the most out of the private.

So they wonder why, after 3 privates a week for 6 months, Suzy still isn't throwing (example) her standing tuck.

Meanwhile, a kid who has ONE private per week or every other week is cleaning up skills, and learning new passes, etc. all the time. Million Privates Mom/Kid are perplexed.

The more focused the child, the better the private. The more organized the instructor, the more "bang for your buck."

A million privates don't always yield better results.

Back