Aging Out For Allstar Cheer....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 13, 2014
hey! If it were up to you for the age limit in allstar cheer, what age would you out instead of somewhere around 18? I think it stinks that to so,e people cheer is their life but once they reach 18 (sometimes 19) they have to stop. :/

hey! If it were up to you for the age limit in allstar cheer, what age would you out instead of somewhere around 18? I think it stinks that to so,e people cheer is their life but once they reach 18 (sometimes 19) they have to stop. :/
Nobody has to stop, there are open teams that have no age limit!

Well, those people can always participate in an open or college team. I don't think, though, that it's the end of the world to move on from a childhood activity once a person has moved on from childhood. Cheerleading is probably much less "their life" than they think it is. Some cheerleaders will move into coaching roles, but for most athletes there's a time to move on. It's the same for all sports. Some, luckily, have translations that can keep you well into the game for most of adulthood (softball, golf), but some sports become hard on an adult body.

Well, those people can always participate in an open or college team. I don't think, though, that it's the end of the world to move on from a childhood activity once a person has moved on from childhood. Cheerleading is probably much less "their life" than they think it is. Some cheerleaders will move into coaching roles, but for most athletes there's a time to move on. It's the same for all sports. Some, luckily, have translations that can keep you well into the game for most of adulthood (softball, golf), but some sports become hard on an adult body.
yeah that is true! Unfortunately, cheer is one of those sports (unlike soccer and so on) where you might have to stop a bit younger. But I do agree with you!

AMEN AMEN. Thanks for posting this. I can see how a teenager would think that they should be able to continue cheering all star forever. However, real life needs to take priority at some point. I see so many young adults that never move on to a bigger and better phase of their life. Being stuck as a forever all star cheerleader usually isn't a good thing.

Theres always international and open teams for those above 18 who don't want to stop. For most people life gets in the way once they are adults and thats why they stop.
That's very true. I think it stinks that you don't really have a choice and have to quit, but I think it's good in a way to move on. You can always be a cheerleader at heart ;)

AMEN AMEN. Thanks for posting this. I can see how a teenager would think that they should be able to continue cheering all star forever. However, real life needs to take priority at some point. I see so many young adults that never move on to a bigger and better phase of their life. Being stuck as a forever all star cheerleader usually isn't a good thing.

Like folks open teaming at my age and still making their way down to Daytona for stunt fest with their former college teams! More power to you but my body can't even (at 30.)

Just for the record, I super don't have any problem with adults cheering. ;) I just think it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out. And it can't really be the number one priority. I had to tell one of my kids he couldn't play select baseball on my dime after graduation. It sucked for both of us, but his priorities were all out of whack. My response here was specifically toward the OP.

I think the issue with open teams is that we have Open 5 and 6 (and 4 but very few gyms are fielding right now.) That's awesome if you aged out with the skills needed but it's a steep learning curve for someone who (example) ages out of Senior 3.

That and most Open teams are structured around Worlds and getting a Worlds bid. Not everyone has time and energy for that.

Also, once you're an adult, it's probably time to stop building your life (obviously, unless you're employed in the field!!!) around cheer and time to start seeing if cheer can fit into your grown up life.

My perspective is that of a parent of young adults. I swear my kid must have thought he'd keep playing select baseball until he got called up by the Yankees or something. But, time was up. I'd be happy to see him fit the sport he loves into his life, but he needs to manage life first.

Like folks open teaming at my age and still making their way down to Daytona for stunt fest with their former college teams! More power to you but my body can't even (at 30.)
I'm cracking up thinking of the story you told us about the time you and your old teammates tried stunting and you threw your back out...

I STARTED cheering in my first year of university (age 17), and I'm now on an open team at age 25. Our oldest girl is 29, and our best tumbler hands down.
The coed team at our gym had a 42 year old man, and he was sick.

I think it's more fun when you're older!

I think the biggest issue is this "my life revolves around cheer" attitude. I love it that people are passionate, and my life is filled with cheer too. Next year I'll be on two teams and coaching one, but I still manage to keep up with my adult life(I'm turning 22 and in college). I just think the pressure might be taken off, if the age restriction was. Say you could cheer forever, as in many european countries. You wouldn't need to stress to make a lvl5 team before you age out, in turn you might not need to have cheer as your absolute number 1 priority. Or you might not even feel the need to get lvl5 skills, if you're comfortable at lvl3 and could continue that 'til your 25 that'd be amazing. I feel like many people want to make the absolute most out of their cheer career while it lasts, thus not focusing on much else for those years.

Latest posts

Back