Allowing Injured Athletes To Compete - Worlds 2014

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 22, 2014
What are your thoughts on allowing injured Athletes to compete at Worlds. Are Coaches obligated to protect the injured Athlete or allow them to compete for the sake of the team. I mean we are talking Worlds.

Well, if we're talking a bruised knee, or a broken finger 5 weeks healed, then that's one thing. If we're talking a concussion, whole different animal.

And what coach would make an informed decision without doctor's input? Do they just listen to the athlete? If that was the case, then Little would be taking the floor. But my decision, her doctor's decision, and her coach's knowledge of what's best for her injury - regardless how it affects the team - trump Worlds this year. #SorryNotSorry

IMO, a coach has the responsibility to the athlete's long-term physical health as well as the team. So the severity of the injury definitely affects what needs to be done.

A girl on Twist & Shout Obsession competed last year in a boot, so it does happen (now I don't know specifics about her injury or the situation at all, just saw videos). But, it's definitely not something that can be generalized to everybody and some injuries are much more serious than others.

Well, if we're talking a bruised knee, or a broken finger 5 weeks healed, then that's one thing. If we're talking a concussion, whole different animal.

And what coach would make an informed decision without doctor's input? Do they just listen to the athlete? If that was the case, then Little would be taking the floor. But my decision, her doctor's decision, and her coach's knowledge of what's best for her injury - regardless how it affects the team - trump Worlds this year. #SorryNotSorry

IMO, a coach has the responsibility to the athlete's long-term physical health as well as the team. So the severity of the injury definitely affects what needs to be done.

YES.

Speaking from an "old lady" perspective (as I am out of college a few years and 30) NOTHING is worth long-term damage to your body. Just trust me on this. You need to live in your body long after cheer is over! (Coming from someone who has a nagging knee injury stemming from competing on it when I shouldn't have.)

We had a girl break her foot about 5 days before our last national comp. The doc said she could compete if she took it easy. So she performed in her boot and just marked her jumps and tumbling, but still stunted as a back spot.. She did well and losing her tumbling and jumps didn't really hurt us. But if we were to lose her as a back spot that would have been a different story.

Good luck to your girl and her team today! I know they will pull through!

Is this the definition of irony? Good luck to Little today.

If I'm correct I think I read something about a girl on WCSS competing with a torn acl years ago. Kelsey Rule competed in 2011 with an ankle the size of a baseball. And, I feel like someone on the boards competed with a broken ankle or something along those lines last year. So it definitely happens. As far as I know all 3 of these people ended up fine competing. So it definitely happens.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Well nothing stops the babs, I mean she competed a double up with one hand. I didn't even think it was legal for athletes to compete in boots/ casts.
I think the rule is something along the lines of you're not allowed hard casts in case you accidentally hit someone etc.

You can compete in a hard cast but it has to be padded to protect the other athletes.
Why you would I have no idea...

Back