Am I Big/massive Flyer? Please Help!! :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 21, 2012
Yes yes i am big ok im 4'11 and 107-110lbs (49-50kg) and i was always a flyer at the start of season but now ive been put to basing. i have the flexibility (working on to get a needle) i have bow and arrows and stuff even the coach knows but the flyer in my team atm doesnt really listen so the stunt goes wrong and one of her bases get hurt sometimes i have to base her and i know i sound rude to say this but she hasnt got any flexibility at all. i feel obese everyday, and i would do ANYTHING to fly again cause i love it everytime i stretch i pull my scorps and stuff on like a pile of books or chair to work on my balance. i reaaally want to move gyms cause the one im at now wont really get me that far and the gym i wanna move at is really good and tbh its a popular gym but its got level 5 teams there except its 10hrs away from me if i drive up (1 hour plane ride) please help! i hope this makes sense..

First and foremost you are not big or obese!...you're just not a itty-bitty stick like flyers can sometimes be perceived to be. I've had flyers that are 115-120+ than can feel lighter than my 90lbs Jr-Sr flyers. It's all about having a solid core and being able to balance and hold/pull your weight in the air....Practice, Practice Practice!

If you are as passionate about flying as you say you are then reach out to your coaches. Maybe you and a stunt group at your gym can get together and you can "show" them better than you can tell them. I'd even say do the routine sequence.

You're one of the many that chose to do what's best for their team than to immediately move to another organization. With the options given and the many more you will receive on this thread I'm sure you'll make a sound decision. :)

My daughter is having the same issue. She has always been a flyer since 1st grade. She is now a senior in HS with two white jackets and this year she is basing....I don't think it is because she is too big because they are other flyers that are bigger (heavier), but she is short and granted, taller flyers look prettier in the air.....she is very self concious about her weight and I try to encourage her. She is not pushing the issue about being a flyer because she is all about what is best for her team. So what we decided to do, because there's no way she will be basing in college because of her size, I have set up some coed stunting classes for her with some college students so she can keep up with her flying skills....so hopefully she will have the skills needed to be on a coed team when she graduates.

I know of at least 3 flyers in our gym that this has happened to over the last couple of years. I say that to say this - it happens everywhere. There are a million different reasons why, but don't give up on your home gym because of this. You could very well go to the next gym, fly this year, and be in the same boat next year. And be a whole lot broke-r when you start next season.

Okay you're tiny!!! You're not big at all. Talk to your coaches and discuss they're opinion on the situation

ok thanks! :)Today were having a open day at our gym and hopefully I will get to fly then!! And I feel kinda scared to ask her if I can fly... If I say: hey can I please fly I havent flown in ages and I miss flying do you think that sounds ok?

ok thanks! :)Today were having a open day at our gym and hopefully I will get to fly then!! And I feel kinda scared to ask her if I can fly... If I say: hey can I please fly I havent flown in ages and I miss flying do you think that sounds ok?
Yes, tell her you'd like a chance to fly so you can show your skills :)

Okay I know exactly how you feel. I was the most flexible flyer on my team by far. Had a needle and my bownarrow was pretty good.I got too big and was replaced by someone who couldn't do a heel stretch or scorpion. I told my coaches I would do anything to fly agin but I still didn't. I got over it by the end of the season but the next year at tryouts it was just really painful to not get the opportunity to even be tried in stunts. It's been very hard for me but I realize that it is best for my team. It helped my team to have a very successful season which may not have been the case if I was flying. So I encourage you to give it time, it is very hard to get over when you have put so much effort into it. Don't look at yourself and think you are obese, I did that for a while and it didn't help it just caused problems with my confidence in tumbling and everything else. Sorry this is so long but just look at what's best for your team and yourself and try to make the best decision, but don't rush it. Give things time to sink in and it will eventually all get better

Okay I know exactly how you feel. I was the most flexible flyer on my team by far. Had a needle and my bownarrow was pretty good.I got too big and was replaced by someone who couldn't do a heel stretch or scorpion. I told my coaches I would do anything to fly agin but I still didn't. I got over it by the end of the season but the next year at tryouts it was just really painful to not get the opportunity to even be tried in stunts. It's been very hard for me but I realize that it is best for my team. It helped my team to have a very successful season which may not have been the case if I was flying. So I encourage you to give it time, it is very hard to get over when you have put so much effort into it. Don't look at yourself and think you are obese, I did that for a while and it didn't help it just caused problems with my confidence in tumbling and everything else. Sorry this is so long but just look at what's best for your team and yourself and try to make the best decision, but don't rush it. Give things time to sink in and it will eventually all get better

finally someone knows how i feel :) how much do you weigh and your height? cause you should get a chance to fly if your flexible and can hold yourself :)

that is a very hard position to be in as a flyer, I also understand the other end of things as a coach. Your coach probably has reasons and Im sure none of them have to do with your size considering how small you are! I would first ask yourself as few questions..1. you are obviously flexible but can you stay in there air? 2. Can you do the skills needed (ie: needle, B&A, 360s, tick tocks etc) in the air? 3. Do you perform well in the air (facials, confidence etc)? 4. are the other flyers more talented than you in any of those areas? 5. Are you just as committed to the team as everyone else? 6. Are you lacking in any area as a flyer or teammate?... These are all things to consider in this situation, there is a lot that a coach has to consider when picking their top flyers. Many cheerleaders think that the only thing that counts is size and flexibility but things like staying in the air, solid skills in the air, good cradles/twist cradles, facials, confidence, attitude, respect for your teammates...etc etc. Plus in HS cheer I have to consider grades/eligibility as well...those are just some of the things a coach has to consider. Good luck and I hope that you do get to fly more! I would ask your coach about it (obviously respectfully and nicely) if you still dont understand why. Maybe they just dont KNOW that you want to fly more too! Never hurts to ask :)

that is a very hard position to be in as a flyer, I also understand the other end of things as a coach. Your coach probably has reasons and Im sure none of them have to do with your size considering how small you are! I would first ask yourself as few questions..1. you are obviously flexible but can you stay in there air? 2. Can you do the skills needed (ie: needle, B&A, 360s, tick tocks etc) in the air? 3. Do you perform well in the air (facials, confidence etc)? 4. are the other flyers more talented than you in any of those areas? 5. Are you just as committed to the team as everyone else? 6. Are you lacking in any area as a flyer or teammate?... These are all things to consider in this situation, there is a lot that a coach has to consider when picking their top flyers. Many cheerleaders think that the only thing that counts is size and flexibility but things like staying in the air, solid skills in the air, good cradles/twist cradles, facials, confidence, attitude, respect for your teammates...etc etc. Plus in HS cheer I have to consider grades/eligibility as well...those are just some of the things a coach has to consider. Good luck and I hope that you do get to fly more! I would ask your coach about it (obviously respectfully and nicely) if you still dont understand why. Maybe they just dont KNOW that you want to fly more too! Never hurts to ask :)

thanks for the advice :)) well theres also another girl whos my height and coach said she kinda has to have us basing cos were the same height? and the flyers in my team they dont really have a scorp or a heel stretch im working on my needle and i always stay tight and i try and pull myself up alot and i squeeeze. the team captin was saying that she reckons i should fly cause im a good flyer not sure if shes being honest but i hope she is :p

yeah it sounds like a lot of mixed messages! I would honestly just go to your coach and kindly ask why you arent able to fly more. I'de just say that you respect her decision but for your own sanity you want to know the reason behind it :) If I had a girl in your situation I would hope they would come to me and ask! Good luck!

Im in a similar position however some of the girls are larger and smaller than me. Im 5'5 and 105lbs and i have my scorp solidly now (i cant heelstretch on correct leg as i tore it earlier this year..) and id love to fly libs.. but seemingly isnt happening even though i stick them and i fight for them, a couple of the other girls who are doing libs seemingly are there because they have a better scorp on floor, but it doesnt mean they can pull them in the air.. Its difficult but only start of the season! FIGHT FOR IT thats all i can say!

I'm a flyer too, I'm the same height but probably 100 lbs? Now may I ask where do you live as in what state? Since a better gym may be closer than you think and what gym do you want to go to?

Back