Am I Big/massive Flyer? Please Help!! :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I had thought that it is pretty widely acknowledged that flyers SHOULD have substantial amounts of muscle mass on them and have the ability to use these muscles to hold their weight. I mean, even even the strongest guys in cheerleading, the ones you see on college teams associated with the UCA basing girls in single stunts [still don't know if associated is the best word, damn I never could figure out whole the whole UCA/NCA system works, confusing unless you are very familiar with the sport] have often said that they like it much better when their flyers have actual muscle mass on them as opposed to the supermodel stick figure look. There is of course a cutoff as to where their weight gets so high that it becomes too hard even when they have muscles and can hold themselves, but I reckon this is a very high cutoff, way higher than 110 lbs.

Also, the sport would do well to make sure all roles in stunting, therefore all body types, are equally valued. In college cheerleading, it sometimes the flyers on Large Coed squads are cherished a lot more than other team members, more than male or female bases and certainly more than female bases in other squads (or female flyers in Small Coed or All Girl). And so it seems many girls in college become desperate to by Large Coed flyers and see anything other position on a team as a demotion. Would be nice if that changed, at least I think so.

5'3" and usually between 110-120lbs

Which, btw, is still average to below average weight for American girls in high school and college. I do think it is something of a problem that in competitive cheer people still somehow call that too obese no matter how good of a shape you are in.

Who let my fat flyer start a thread?!! BowCat did you know about this?

Just kidding. Honey, I'm sure you're perfect just the way you are. Sometimes coaches just don't have any more magic fairy dust and someone has to be the base. Keep stretching and "floor fly" every day. You may get the chance to fly again one day. In the meantime, be a team player and help out your team however you can.

I've recently had to deal with a girl who has an absolutely beautiful scorpion and by no means is she big, but the girls basing do not have the strength or the technique yet to put her in the air. So this girl bases and is one of the best allround athletes. She also does a stunt group so she can keep her flying skills, stretches and takes the opportunities when they come - if another flyer is out sick, she fills in. Don't give up, but also appreciate learning new skills. It's amazing how much you learn about flying from basing, and vice versa.

I've recently had to deal with a girl who has an absolutely beautiful scorpion and by no means is she big, but the girls basing do not have the strength or the technique yet to put her in the air. So this girl bases and is one of the best allround athletes. She also does a stunt group so she can keep her flying skills, stretches and takes the opportunities when they come - if another flyer is out sick, she fills in. Don't give up, but also appreciate learning new skills. It's amazing how much you learn about flying from basing, and vice versa.
Amen. The best flyers are the ones who have based. They know their job and the job under them. In our experience the flyer that complains about their base "dropping" them the most are the ones who have no idea what to do as a base and therefore don't understand that they (the flyer) is actually he reason they're getting "dropped." learn everything you can while you're on the ground, it will only make you better in the air.

ur bmi is in the low 22s ur not obese! an 4'11 @ 107 is not big for a flyer our flyers are like 5'2 and like maybe 110?

You are tiny. We have one girl on our team who is also tiny and flexible, but she is super strong. They use her as a spot because they need her strength and power to keep the stunts up. If you are really strong, it could be they need you to help keep up the stunts.

To answer your question, you are definitely NOT a big flier! The SMALLEST girl on my team weighs just over 50kg and most of our flyers are around 55-60kg (not sure what that is in pounds, sorry!) You should definitely be in the air if you are that tiny, flexible and can hold up your weight in the air. Perhaps considering moving gyms is a good idea if you're not happy. Maybe check out some gyms that are closer to your house that you could join to build up your skills before making the big decision to go to a faraway gym.

Back