High School Am I The Only That's Happy About The Improvement In School Cheer???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In New Jersey, not only does everyone that come in contact with a child needs to have it, every student starting with the Class of 2018 needs to have it. My school is certifying everyone in every grade despite if you already have it or not.
We had that back when I was in high school (in Virginia). Everyone took a CPR/First Aid class and got certified as part of the PE class sophomore year.

Cheerleading becomes a sport in New York State on November 10th and I am so happy and thankful! Coaches and cheerleaders will be held at the same standard of other school sports. I'm most excited about coaches having to hold certifications as well as NYS having sectionals, regionals and state competitions. State competition won't be until the 2015-2016 winter season!

The district where I went to school/currently coach at has always treated cheerleading like a sport, which is making transition an easy one.
Are they still allowed to travel to nationals? Is UCA nationals out for those teams now like in Georgia?

Are they still allowed to travel to nationals? Is UCA nationals out for those teams now like in Georgia?
Not sure yet how this is going to play out in NY, particularly Long Island. It may be that only winners of states will qualify for UCA, but that is purely a guess. I did hear though this was not going to be in effect this season but starting with the 2015-16 season.
I have also heard that LICCA who has run the whole Long Island HS cheer region for years, is not happy.
Long Island Cheerleading Coaches Association

Not sure yet how this is going to play out in NY, particularly Long Island. It may be that only winners of states will qualify for UCA, but that is purely a guess. I did hear though this was not going to be in effect this season but starting with the 2015-16 season.
I have also heard that LICCA who has run the whole Long Island HS cheer region for years, is not happy.

Aren't UCA bids a completely different from LICCA and organizations like it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of the NY teams go to the NJ qualifier...

Aren't UCA bids a completely different from LICCA and organizations like it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of the NY teams go to the NJ qualifier...
Yes, but there is talk that they (the teams) will not be allowed just to go to get a UCA bid and qualify since the UCA comps are not sanctioned events.

What I have received from AACCA training and other regional meetings is that any out of state competition must be a sanctioned competition with a NYS school as a co-host. A NYS school must co-host and be the "state representative" to ensure that the competition is being ran fairly and maintains the expectations of a NYS-sanctioned competitions. The facts are still not 100% clear when it comes to out of state competitions, especially comps like UCA.

I'm in Section 6/Upstate NY.. complete opposite of Long Island, so I'm not sure what is going on down there. All I know from my section representative is that everyone is trying to work with Albany

Again, I only know the information being brought to my attention from my section representive. Hopefully once things become official, the details will be more clear! It's an exciting/confusing time for sure..

What I have received from AACCA training and other regional meetings is that any out of state competition must be a sanctioned competition with a NYS school as a co-host. A NYS school must co-host and be the "state representative" to ensure that the competition is being ran fairly and maintains the expectations of a NYS-sanctioned competitions. The facts are still not 100% clear when it comes to out of state competitions, especially comps like UCA.

I'm in Section 6/Upstate NY.. complete opposite of Long Island, so I'm not sure what is going on down there. All I know from my section representative is that everyone is trying to work with Albany

Again, I only know the information being brought to my attention from my section representive. Hopefully once things become official, the details will be more clear! It's an exciting/confusing time for sure..
I wonder if that is the future for UCA/NCA. If all states come to be sports, it will be interesting to see if UCA has a state representative from each state co-hosting, or if it will cease to exist. That would change high school cheer forever!

Is there a set date on which they are going to say whether or not teams can still compete at UCA?

In Illinois, if you are listed as competitive cheer with IHSA then you cannot compete at UCA Nationals since it is after the state competition date which is the end of the cheer season. Real bummer too because we have some amazingly talented squads. Wish that the state boards would work something out with UCA to where the top 3-5 teams from each state event could compete at UCA Nationals or something similar. Otherwise, I'm afraid UCA will come to an end.

In Illinois, if you are listed as competitive cheer with IHSA then you cannot compete at UCA Nationals since it is after the state competition date which is the end of the cheer season. Real bummer too because we have some amazingly talented squads. Wish that the state boards would work something out with UCA to where the top 3-5 teams from each state event could compete at UCA Nationals or something similar. Otherwise, I'm afraid UCA will come to an end.
It's the same way in Virginia, I wish some of our teams could compete at UCA. I think they would do really well.

Would it be possible for you to operate independently from your state's athletic association?
I don't know all the logistics, but I don't really know how that would work. I could see breaking away and competing at an allstar competition, but not at UCA high school nationals. That would also be a really big change since our competition season ends in November and we aren't allowed to compete past then. It's been a long time since I was in school so idk if it's changed but we did have a rule about I think 5? non-state run competitions (so invitationals that aren't districts/regionals/states) that teams were allowed to participate in.

IL is one of those real bummers in terms of states not permitting cheer teams to compete at NCA/UCA.

Everyone needs to Youtube "IHSA cheer state champions."

Watch those videos.

Now cry because they cannot leave IL.

Back