All-Star Ankle Pain+ Worst Cheer Injuries?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 17, 2014
So latlely my ankle has been hurting. If I point my toe and come back up, it cracks over and over and the top above my ankle hurts. I feel like it is unhinged. I went to the doctor a month ago or so for knee pain and I have hypermobility in my joints... Could that be a factor? Part 2- what is your worst or funniest cheer related injury?

My daughter landed short when attempting a whip at tumbling Thursday. She walks, etc just fine, but now any kind of tumbling or jumping makes the fronts of her ankles hurt a lot. Anyone else have this issue? What did you do?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Could be a tendon issue. I'd go get it checked if you can and see if she can get physio if it's just pulled. Ankle and knee issues are THE worst. If it's not dealt with properly at onset of pain then it's so much harder to fix later.

I broke my ankle and was told twice by X-ray it was just a sprain. But it still hurt a lot. Since I thought it was a sprain I clearly tumbled still. I found out AFTER worlds it was broken the whole time and didn't heal right.

My daughter landed short when attempting a whip at tumbling Thursday. She walks, etc just fine, but now any kind of tumbling or jumping makes the fronts of her ankles hurt a lot. Anyone else have this issue? What did you do?

I had that issue! I google diagnosed it as anterior ankle impingement. Basically it hurt any time I under cut something or if when I bend my knees they went too far over my ankles. It would hurt when I landed but after about 30-60 seconds it would be better and I could do another pass. I just iced them after practices and prayed I wouldn't land that way. It started in my right ankle and then started doing it in my left. When it first happened my ankles hurt all the time but as time went on it slowly just went away. They hurt much less frequently now. It first started the summer of 2012 and now it almost never hurts.

ETA: I never actually saw a doctor for it, but I was pretty positive that my extensive Google diagnosis was right lol

I had that issue! I google diagnosed it as anterior ankle impingement. Basically it hurt any time I under cut something or if when I bend my knees they went too far over my ankles. It would hurt when I landed but after about 30-60 seconds it would be better and I could do another pass. I just iced them after practices and prayed I wouldn't land that way. It started in my right ankle and then started doing it in my left. When it first happened my ankles hurt all the time but as time went on it slowly just went away. They hurt much less frequently now. It first started the summer of 2012 and now it almost never hurts.

ETA: I never actually saw a doctor for it, but I was pretty positive that my extensive Google diagnosis was right lol
Haha! I've been Google diagnosing for the better part of the afternoon. I then came home with some Biofreeze, a fresh bottle of Aleve, some heel lifts for her shoes, and some KT tape. I also looked for PT exercises, so now she's the proud owner of a thera band, too. We'll see if all this junk plus icing after practice works. If not, it's another frequent flyer trip to the orthopedic urgent care. I did find through my research that it's a common issue, so it made me feel a little bit better. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!

Haha! I've been Google diagnosing for the better part of the afternoon. I then came home with some Biofreeze, a fresh bottle of Aleve, some heel lifts for her shoes, and some KT tape. I also looked for PT exercises, so now she's the proud owner of a thera band, too. We'll see if all this junk plus icing after practice works. If not, it's another frequent flyer trip to the orthopedic urgent care. I did find through my research that it's a common issue, so it made me feel a little bit better. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!
I've never heard of a Thera band before. I hope it gets better, good luck!! I would do these while watching TV or reading a book.
ETA: they're at the very bottom of the web page.
Anterior Ankle Impingement - PhysioAdvisor

I've never heard of a Thera band before. I hope it gets better, good luck!! I would do these while watching TV or reading a book.
ETA: they're at the very bottom of the web page.
Anterior Ankle Impingement - PhysioAdvisor

Thera bands are great!! Last year I tore ligaments in my ankle and its like a line of rubber and you hook your foot in and it gives resitance helped alot for me. Dancers use them alot

It definitely could be a factor! My second CP has had this issue on and off. I can't remember the proper name for the injury, but essentially his ankle had been jammed and sprained too many times, causing weakness in the ligament. The pain was at the top bit of the foot, but if someone was to press into the back/side of his ankle behind the circular bone, the entire thing would hurt. To strengthen the muscles the physio therapist recommended going up on toes and back to heels, starting on flat floor and eventually moving to the stairs.

Here are some good articles that may help... Impact Based Ankle Pain in Gymnasts: Understanding Why and Possible Ways to Assist with Injury Reduction – The Hybrid Perspective : Linking Gymnastics & Physical Therapy
Dance Magazine – If it's happening in the world of dance, it's happening in Dance Magazine.
http://www.pamf.org/Orthopedics/mountainview/handouts/AnkleExercises.pdf

Part two - once upon a time, a very long while ago an innocent cheer dad was trying to support his children. They wanted him to learn a toe touch. He tried and it didn't go well...there might have even been a long period of lying on the coach for days with a pack of peas and much loss of dignity.

part 2: My worst cheer related injury is a concussion :eek: I also think I might have pulled a muscle doing toe touches a few months ago because it hurts to do any stretches with that leg.

My CP has an avulsion pelvic fracture. It's where the tendon attached to the pelvis pulls away & takes a piece of the bone with it. It just happened this weekend & she is now on crutches.

My CP has an avulsion pelvic fracture. It's where the tendon attached to the pelvis pulls away & takes a piece of the bone with it. It just happened this weekend & she is now on crutches.
That has to be incredibly painful. Pelvic injuries are brutal. If you don't mind me asking, how did that happen?

When I touch down on tucks I also get the same feeling. Must just be a side effect of landing short/ touching out

That has to be incredibly painful. Pelvic injuries are brutal. If you don't mind me asking, how did that happen?

She was doing a jump and somehow miscalculated the landing. She ended up landing straight down on her left knee. The impact is what caused the tendon to pull away.

This happened to me when I first started working doubles because I kept landing short. The doctor recommended two weeks of no tumbling which didn't help at all. I ended up quitting cheer for two months, and then when I came back it was still painful but not as bad. I just put a compression ankle brace on it and called it good. I don't have any pain with it anymore and it's been 3+ years.

Back