All-Star Another Injuries In Cheer Article

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 10, 2013
This was in the National Post today. Did anyone else see it??

Bring it on … to the ER: Cheerleading injuries tripled in Canada over last 20 years, study finds | National Post

I pulled up the study itself (Neck and Spine Injuries in Canadian Cheerleaders: An Increasing Trench in the Journal of Pediatric Surgery) and have some concerns about it, though the average newspaper reader isn't going to look that far into this other than to say "Cheer is dangerous!!" It's all Canadian content though, and I was really disappointed when in the actual study, they mention that only a handful of Provinces follow USASF or Provincial Safety Guidelines. I looked up some of the provinces that supposedly don't follow such rules, yet they're printed right into their rule books (BC for example, following ACCAA rules does require mats, coaching certification, etc.).

It also seems reasonable that injuries have increased in the last 20 years. 20 years ago, all-star cheer didn't really exist in Canada and really only happened at a school level. All-star has exploded in the last 15 years, so of course we're going to see more injuries. We have way more athletes involved than ever before.

Also, the actual study said that of all the cases sent to the hospital, 98.5% (consistent with a previous 2006 study - 98.7% there) were deemed to be minor injuries (sprains, strains, etc.). So it seem that the number of serious injuries hasn't gone up over the last 10 years.

This frustrates me so much that injuries seem to be the only thing that is talked about with this sport.

Cheerleading is a very good activity/sport that can be very positive under the right circumstance for the athletes and the community. There are a lot of wonderful things that it does for those involved. I do understand your frustrations. I do think that there are necessary conversations that need to happen and something that everyone involved (gym owners, coaches, athletes, parents, and competitions) really needs to talk about more. When the injuries can become life altering or life threatening, it is something that needs to be discussed. I think more conversations and changes need to happen without people becoming defensive.

Cheerleading is a very good activity/sport that can be very positive under the right circumstance for the athletes and the community. There are a lot of wonderful things that it does for those involved. I do understand your frustrations. I do think that there are necessary conversations that need to happen and something that everyone involved (gym owners, coaches, athletes, parents, and competitions) really needs to talk about more. When the injuries can become life altering or life threatening, it is something that needs to be discussed. I think more conversations and changes need to happen without people becoming defensive.
I think people are also too accepting of many of the injuries that happen. It's been like this so long that many of us assume that nothing can be done. It's a stupid way to think.

Look at gymnastics: you never hear about it in the news as something dangerous, and they are allowed to do far more dangerous skills than us, on VERY dangerous equipment.

The problem runs much deeper than a bunch of coaches being lax about correct technique and safety training.

I think people are also too accepting of many of the injuries that happen. It's been like this so long that many of us assume that nothing can be done. It's a stupid way to think.

Look at gymnastics: you never hear about it in the news as something dangerous, and they are allowed to do far more dangerous skills than us, on VERY dangerous equipment.

The problem runs much deeper than a bunch of coaches being lax about correct technique and safety training.
I think it has to do with the fact that cheerleading is still not well known in Canada, and they use the "oh wow, it's dangerous" aspect to get people's attention. In a way, that is news. Gymnastics being dangerous is nothing new. Everyone knows what it is.

I think it has to do with the fact that cheerleading is still not well known in Canada, and they use the "oh wow, it's dangerous" aspect to get people's attention. In a way, that is news. Gymnastics being dangerous is nothing new. Everyone knows what it is.
True. My remarks are a better reflection of the American attitude.

Back