Armbending In Backhandspring

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 2, 2015
My arm has been severely bending in my backhandspring since spring 2014. I go straight back on my arm, it's a mental thing. When I am spotted, I usually don't bend it but my hands land very close, sometimes on top of each other. I've tried many drills and techniques to try to fix it but I can't. I can do a cartwheel bhs, round off bhs, and power ro bhs, but it still is keeping me from expanding my skills further more. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how I can fix it? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really happy you attached the video for this! I can actually see a few things other than your arm that need to be changed to help you:
- the most important thing is that your roundoff needs to be improved (legs coming together faster, more push off of your hands with a faster snap down) so that you can land the roundoff with your chest up, arms at your ears and with knees behind or in line with toes when absorbing (see 0.04)
- although the roundoff is leading to this, the main problem with your actual handspring is how you're getting into it - you should be seated in the way I described above, but with your knees in front of your toes as they are here it causes your chest and arms to reach back to the ground earlier than they should (meaning you don't actually jump or get any height into the handspring, see 0.05). Without height, your arms literally do not have time to be in the proper position to support how your weight is distributed
- unrelated to those problems if you go to a later point in 0.05 you see that even before your hand is on the floor you begin to move them together. This will likely just take repetition.
- the last problem is the body positions in the back handspring. You should jump back into a tight open body position (legs together and straight, arms close to ears and pushed as far back as possible, and hips up). When your hands hit the floor you should begin to snap into a hollow body position through your hips and push through your shoulders to block off the ground. You are closing your shoulders (likely due to your hand placement) and then just piking your legs down (see the end of 0.05)

I know this seems like a lot in response to an arm bending question, but I believe these are all things that will help fix your arm but will also help you when you want to move on to multiple handsprings and eventually tucks etc. If you need any drills related to these tips just ask!

I'm really happy you attached the video for this! I can actually see a few things other than your arm that need to be changed to help you:
- the most important thing is that your roundoff needs to be improved (legs coming together faster, more push off of your hands with a faster snap down) so that you can land the roundoff with your chest up, arms at your ears and with knees behind or in line with toes when absorbing (see 0.04)
- although the roundoff is leading to this, the main problem with your actual handspring is how you're getting into it - you should be seated in the way I described above, but with your knees in front of your toes as they are here it causes your chest and arms to reach back to the ground earlier than they should (meaning you don't actually jump or get any height into the handspring, see 0.05). Without height, your arms literally do not have time to be in the proper position to support how your weight is distributed
- unrelated to those problems if you go to a later point in 0.05 you see that even before your hand is on the floor you begin to move them together. This will likely just take repetition.
- the last problem is the body positions in the back handspring. You should jump back into a tight open body position (legs together and straight, arms close to ears and pushed as far back as possible, and hips up). When your hands hit the floor you should begin to snap into a hollow body position through your hips and push through your shoulders to block off the ground. You are closing your shoulders (likely due to your hand placement) and then just piking your legs down (see the end of 0.05)

I know this seems like a lot in response to an arm bending question, but I believe these are all things that will help fix your arm but will also help you when you want to move on to multiple handsprings and eventually tucks etc. If you need any drills related to these tips just ask!
I agree, most of the time the end result is because of technique earlier in the skill. The reason I think you bend your arm, is you are subconsciously protecting yourself. There are two areas you can work on. 1st physical: Work on the tips given above first. 2nd Mental: Use visualization to help you see the change and performance cues to remind you of those changes. Good luck.

Do you have a standing BHS? If not, I would concentrate on that first to build the proper technique. All of the info @marissa.d gave is correct. I also suspect that you likely need more core and leg conditioning to build the power and control necessary for the BHS. Most all star gyms will not allow anyone without a solid standing BHS to work ROBHS. The reason for this is that it is easier to push past bad technique with the power that comes out of a roundoff, and it becomes very difficult to correct that technique later. I would advise building solid technique in your roundoff and standing BHS seperately, then putting them together. I think you are bringing that forearm over as a safety measure because your arms won't take your full weight. How is your shoulder flexibility? IF you don't have the shoulder flexibility to do a backwalkover , you may not be able to get your arms into the correct position for the BHS. Can you hold a handstand for 10 seconds unassisted? If not you may need to work on arm strength.

Yes, I do have a standing bhs and I also bend my arm in that. I do not think the cause is because lack of arm strength (I can easliy do a handstand for 10 seconds) but is more of a mental thing than anything. thanks for the tips:)

I'm going to echo the same.
I think your power hurdle can be a little more sturdy as well.
I think a lot of times, at least with some of my girls is that they try to rush the skill.
One thing always preps you for another skill. Your power hurdle feeds your round off which feeds your rebound.
Sometimes, when they forget to hit each skill I scale them back and have them do power hurdle, round off, and a tuck jump. If your chest is dropping and your knees aren't together and meeting at your chest then keep doing that drill until you feel your strength! In the end, there is too much pressure on your arms. Use those legs! ❤️

Yes, I do have a standing bhs and I also bend my arm in that. I do not think the cause is because lack of arm strength (I can easliy do a handstand for 10 seconds) but is more of a mental thing than anything. thanks for the tips:)

I think it would be wise to work to fix the standing BHS first. I think some of it is likely mental, but if you strengthen the physical, it can definitely help with the mental. My CP is a kid who has to KNOW she is physically capable of saving herself before she will throw a skill unassisted.

Maybe have your coach spot you again and less and less and use crash mats so you feel more at ease? I have several kids like this. It takes different things to help break it. Go back to drills like said above too. Improving those will help your body remeber what to do and feel more confident. Good luck!

Back