All-Star Article On Espnw Says Cheer Not A Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This whole conversation is confusing to me as a Canadian, living in a province where cheer is not considered a sport and is not recognized by our high school sports association (OFSAA). The majority of cheer teams in high schools here do not cheer for other sports team. All of the schools in my area only do competition.

Our other difference is that high school sports are not paid for by our school system. We have a strictly pay to play system. Our individual schools may provide some funding for their school teams but this is not province wide. My school, for example, provides a once a year stipend to each school sports team (cheer is considered to be a sport at our school) that is used to help offset costs related to that team. My team puts it towards paying for coverage to replace the school staff who accompany the team to competition. The only other money received is if a team that is recognized by OFSAA makes it to their province wide competition, the school will add additional money to that teams stipend to help with travelling to that specific competition/tournament. As cheer is not recognized, we would never receive that part of the fund.

In terms of insurance we are covered by the school board insurance policy in place as are all school related teams/clubs/activities. Coaches of any team must be staff employed by our school board. We will bring in outside coaches to work with the team if the staff member does not have the background in the sport, but those outside coaches are under the supervision of the staff member at all practices and competitions/tournaments.

You also have way better health coverage than us. :(

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Probably would have been a much more compelling argument without the attitude and personal attacks.
True, but I feel like Jamie expressed the anger simmering within the chests of every cheer-obsessed person in that comment (not that the article was offensive, but I feel as though he responded as if she had insulted the athleticism and legitimacy of cheerleading).

King, while I am not disagreeing with this statement, where are they getting their statistics? When my oldest sustained a concussion, she was asked what she was doing...she replied that she fail during a stunt. The doctor never asked for a distinction as to which "type" of stunting she was doing. Same went for my youngest when she hyper-extended her elbow. She stated that she fell during tumbling. Again no distinction as to which cheerleading she was referring to. For the record, one injury happened during "game day" practice and the other during "all-star" practice.

In this hour long segment on ESPN radio about child rights in sports I discuss cheerleaders doing gymnastics at length.

Back