All-Star Article On Espnw Says Cheer Not A Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If we ground bound sideline why not ground bound all star? I mean it's just as dangerous, you're taking risks, ect. I mean some gyms even allow athletes to compete with injuries..
My point here is that in sideline you can have an injury as small as a mild concussion or a broken finger and you would not be allowed to cheer, until you are cleared medically with a note from your doctor. And that goes for gyms as well maybe but some gyms allow their girls/boys to practice/compete with injuries such as bad ankles, bad knees, broken bones, concussions, etc even after their doctor said you are not allowed to be cheering, they still do it anyway. That makes everyone in the gym responsible if the athletes injury were to get worse while practicing or competing. I see high school being a lot more safer than all star in terms of injuries.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Allstar is a private sport. People doing it are paying for it and insured for the activity of competitive cheering. Sideline is done through the schools and may not be trained or insured.

Allstar is a private sport. People doing it are paying for it and insured for the activity of competitive cheering. Sideline is done through the schools and may not be trained or insured.

That is true. But think about it this way. If you are private and someone is paying for your services wouldn't you make sure that your athlete stays as safe as possible so that you don't lose them? I wouldn't want my kid cheering at a gym that allows other kids to perform injured. It doesn't look good. Atleast with sideline I know my kid is safe.

That is true. But think about it this way. If you are private and someone is paying for your services wouldn't you make sure that your athlete stays as safe as possible so that you don't lose them? I wouldn't want my kid cheering at a gym that allows other kids to perform injured. It doesn't look good. Atleast with sideline I know my kid is safe.

While I agree with your statement that a private group will try and keep them safe how do you know sideline keeps them safe? A higher rate of injuries come from sideline than from Allstar.

While I agree with your statement that a private group will try and keep them safe how do you know sideline keeps them safe? A higher rate of injuries come from sideline than from Allstar.

It's the same thing. a school is responsible for any injuries. Though we aren't directly paying the school ourselves, We fundraise or pay out of pocket. Any school will not settle for an injured athlete to participate in any activity that will make their injury worse. To me that's safer, than going to your local gym telling your coach that you have an injury but your coach still allows you to go out there. That's not safe that's taking a big risk for far more bigger injury than what that person could already have.

It's the same thing. a school is responsible for any injuries. Though we aren't directly paying the school ourselves, We fundraise or pay out of pocket. Any school will not settle for an injured athlete to participate in any activity that will make their injury worse. To me that's safer, than going to your local gym telling your coach that you have an injury but your coach still allows you to go out there. That's not safe that's taking a big risk for far more bigger injury than what that person could already have.

Those protections are in place for sports, not really for activities. That's part of the issue.

Well yes sports not activists. They work in my school. Although I'm not quite sure how because we are listen as a "club" and we're forced to get a physical and take an impact test. But I still feel like a school system is more safe.

Well yes sports not activists. They work in my school. Although I'm not quite sure how because we are listen as a "club" and we're forced to get a physical and take an impact test. But I still feel like a school system is more safe.

Both of those things are very good! But that is above what is required and not everyone has the same attention.

Both of those things are very good! But that is above what is required and not everyone has the same attention.

Some schools need funding though. Not just for athletic programs for their education too. The problem isn't money for just sports it's money overall. A lot of schools struggle with funding for lots of other things.

Some schools need funding though. Not just for athletic programs for their education too. The problem isn't money for just sports it's money overall. A lot of schools struggle with funding for lots of other things.

Very true. And in a sport if they can't meet that standard is it allowed to continue or is it shut down?

King, while I am not disagreeing with this statement, where are they getting their statistics? When my oldest sustained a concussion, she was asked what she was doing...she replied that she fail during a stunt. The doctor never asked for a distinction as to which "type" of stunting she was doing. Same went for my youngest when she hyper-extended her elbow. She stated that she fell during tumbling. Again no distinction as to which cheerleading she was referring to. For the record, one injury happened during "game day" practice and the other during "all-star" practice.

King, while I am not disagreeing with this statement, where are they getting their statistics? When my oldest sustained a concussion, she was asked what she was doing...she replied that she fail during a stunt. The doctor never asked for a distinction as to which "type" of stunting she was doing. Same went for my youngest when she hyper-extended her elbow. She stated that she fell during tumbling. Again no distinction as to which cheerleading she was referring to. For the record, one injury happened during "game day" practice and the other during "all-star" practice.

Fair question. Here is the study from the American Academy of Pediatrics:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.o...eds.2012-2480.full.pdf#page=4&zoom=auto,0,455

All the references are at the bottom.

BTW your injury was most likely not recorded in these studies so it would have increased the rate of injury that what exists.

I've gone to the doctor for my collapse arches because it makes tumbling painful and have been asked if I needed to tumble.. I did cheer HS and yes, technically I didn't NEED to do it but it's needed on the comp side, and my coach would like me to do it at bball games to keep the crowd up. But many physicians believe that cheerleading is just yelling. They don't understand that stunting and tumbling are key to the sport just like beam and bars are key to gymnastics, or being able to do different swim strokes.

I've gone to the doctor for my collapse arches because it makes tumbling painful and have been asked if I needed to tumble.. I did cheer HS and yes, technically I didn't NEED to do it but it's needed on the comp side, and my coach would like me to do it at bball games to keep the crowd up. But many physicians believe that cheerleading is just yelling. They don't understand that stunting and tumbling are key to the sport just like beam and bars are key to gymnastics, or being able to do different swim strokes.

Which probably means most injuries aren't being documented on either side of cheer and numbers are higher than they estimate. Both situations don't really show people documenting injuries. They more show unconcerned to what the injury is.

I just asked my athlete who had the worst injury for me while I coaches at Rays. She broke her ankle on a bump down. I took her to the emergency room (we aren't far from one) by request of her parents while they met me at the doc. I asked her what they asked of her injury. She said she stepped on someone's ankle coming out of a stunt and never asked what sport. He was either highly knowledgable or just didn't care. Either way I bet cheer injuries are highly under reported.

This whole conversation is confusing to me as a Canadian, living in a province where cheer is not considered a sport and is not recognized by our high school sports association (OFSAA). The majority of cheer teams in high schools here do not cheer for other sports team. All of the schools in my area only do competition.

Our other difference is that high school sports are not paid for by our school system. We have a strictly pay to play system. Our individual schools may provide some funding for their school teams but this is not province wide. My school, for example, provides a once a year stipend to each school sports team (cheer is considered to be a sport at our school) that is used to help offset costs related to that team. My team puts it towards paying for coverage to replace the school staff who accompany the team to competition. The only other money received is if a team that is recognized by OFSAA makes it to their province wide competition, the school will add additional money to that teams stipend to help with travelling to that specific competition/tournament. As cheer is not recognized, we would never receive that part of the fund.

In terms of insurance we are covered by the school board insurance policy in place as are all school related teams/clubs/activities. Coaches of any team must be staff employed by our school board. We will bring in outside coaches to work with the team if the staff member does not have the background in the sport, but those outside coaches are under the supervision of the staff member at all practices and competitions/tournaments.

Back