OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
When you get into the high levels gymnastics is a very tough and time-demanding sport. People joke about Cheer being time-consuming but it's nothing compared to elite gymnastics. The majority of kids drop out of gymnastics at some point. If they quit and claim it is because of Simone they aren't being honest.

(Slow claps)

Imagine suggesting that the narrative surrounding mental health and being a whole healthy human outside of a sport (the sport that attempted to cover up your abuse and the abuse of your friends, mind you) is (gasp) setting a troubling example for children.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE SUBURBAN MIDDLE CLASS GYM CHILDREN?

I sort of felt this made her a better example for children?

I think a lot of people are still suffering under the delusion that being a “champion” athlete means competing for the win at all costs — physical, mental, emotional, etc. — without realising that that attitude is exactly the problem. Nobody should put their well-being aside because they’ve been told a sportsball game is more important. So I feel that Simone pushing back actually makes her a better role model than she would’ve been had she just gritted through it and kept feeding that same destructive cycle.

After decades of USA Gymnastics cultivating an environment of abuse and protecting preditors to trade little girls lives and well-being for money and medals, and them pledging to "do better and put athletes first", they continued to use Simone as a strategy to win medals. "We're going to win bc we have Simone." "It's ok if we a fall or two bc we have Simone." And by her putting her safety first, she's letting people down? Your post misses the enitre point of everything that has been happening this past week and all of the historical context that makes this significant.

I have to imagine those "little girls who look up to her so highly" don't have the life experience yet to truly comprehend what Simone did and how monumental it was. She continuously steps up and calls out the people in charge and is using her platform to force people to listen. She's brought multiple problems about USAG forward at her own expense, ultimately changing the environment for the better for all "those little girls who look up to her so highly."

She didn't ask to be in the spotlight or have her trauma broadcasted or her mental health/struggles become the topic of public discourse. You can be mad that the media continuously decides to focus on her. Simone is not the cause of the Simone show, if anything she is the victim of it. Her entire message, this entire time is that she is a human being, not a work horse or a superhuman or a strategy to win more gold medals for the USA. To say that she's letting people down by doing what's best for her... that girl doesn't owe anybody a single thing.

Your above statement is bonkers. People are questioning why they/their kids are doing gymnastics because of a celebrity? Maybe these parents should have a talk to their kids about how celebrities are actually just human beings and when human beings are pushed to their breaking points they have human being reactions and there are human being consequences and we should support them because they are, after all, human beings.

I'm sure Simone wants the Simone show to end too so she can be a human being doing things she loves without people putting the entire weight of the world on her. Must be suffocating.

Look, I know my feelings are flawed and I stated that at the beginning. I feel a lot of different ways, but you took the "Questioning doing gymnastics" at all comment incorrectly. It isn't coming from a parent, it's coming from a child who is close to elite herself. She is questioning whether putting herself out there, doing dangerous tricks/skill is worth the risk because what happened to Simone made that reality very real. There is also a very real fear that if Simone can walk away from the team, then their teammates can to. Is it on their parents to explain and teach the differences? Absolutely. And I have no doubt that they will.

That said, I do get the bigger picture. And I am happy that this event will garner more attention where it's needed. And I fully understand why my statements are messy and unliked.

i blame the media and the way that announcers talk about certain gymnasts every four years. I can only remember back to before 2008 olympics, but they hyped Shawn Johnson to be the shining star that was going to win it all, even tried to make some ridiculous connection with her and Mary Lou.... then wouldnt let go of the fact that she came in second in the all around, and made it seem like winning the gold on beam was some holy grail thank the heavens moment, when the girl already had 3 medals around her neck.
then there was Rebecca Bross and her saga and then Jordyn Wieber and hers, and omg the world might end cause she didnt make all around and lets talk about it every single night of gymnastics programming, and then lets remind her of it every time we interview her later.... these poor teenagers are having to be reminded of every slip up if it occurs, over and over, no wonder their mental health aint doing so well by the end.
a silver is nothing to be ashamed of, and most other countries celebrate their athletes making podium in the news, during the broadcasts, etc. While the US plays the "poor (insert name here), her olympic experience is ruined..." Its sad that we cant just celebrate our athletes making podium like others do..
the commentators need to get a grip sometimes, hence why i am starting to hate watching gymnastics through the US, and choose BBC for my viewing pleasure.

After decades of USA Gymnastics cultivating an environment of abuse and protecting preditors to trade little girls lives and well-being for money and medals, and them pledging to "do better and put athletes first", they continued to use Simone as a strategy to win medals. "We're going to win bc we have Simone." "It's ok if we a fall or two bc we have Simone." And by her putting her safety first, she's letting people down? Your post misses the enitre point of everything that has been happening this past week and all of the historical context that makes this significant.

I have to imagine those "little girls who look up to her so highly" don't have the life experience yet to truly comprehend what Simone did and how monumental it was. She continuously steps up and calls out the people in charge and is using her platform to force people to listen. She's brought multiple problems about USAG forward at her own expense, ultimately changing the environment for the better for all "those little girls who look up to her so highly."

She didn't ask to be in the spotlight or have her trauma broadcasted or her mental health/struggles become the topic of public discourse. You can be mad that the media continuously decides to focus on her. Simone is not the cause of the Simone show, if anything she is the victim of it. Her entire message, this entire time is that she is a human being, not a work horse or a superhuman or a strategy to win more gold medals for the USA. To say that she's letting people down by doing what's best for her... that girl doesn't owe anybody a single thing.

Your above statement is bonkers. People are questioning why they/their kids are doing gymnastics because of a celebrity? Maybe these parents should have a talk to their kids about how celebrities are actually just human beings and when human beings are pushed to their breaking points they have human being reactions and there are human being consequences and we should support them because they are, after all, human beings.

I'm sure Simone wants the Simone show to end too so she can be a human being doing things she loves without people putting the entire weight of the world on her. Must be suffocating.

All of this!!!!

i blame the media and the way that announcers talk about certain gymnasts every four years. I can only remember back to before 2008 olympics, but they hyped Shawn Johnson to be the shining star that was going to win it all, even tried to make some ridiculous connection with her and Mary Lou.... then wouldnt let go of the fact that she came in second in the all around, and made it seem like winning the gold on beam was some holy grail thank the heavens moment, when the girl already had 3 medals around her neck.
then there was Rebecca Bross and her saga and then Jordyn Wieber and hers, and omg the world might end cause she didnt make all around and lets talk about it every single night of gymnastics programming, and then lets remind her of it every time we interview her later.... these poor teenagers are having to be reminded of every slip up if it occurs, over and over, no wonder their mental health aint doing so well by the end.
a silver is nothing to be ashamed of, and most other countries celebrate their athletes making podium in the news, during the broadcasts, etc. While the US plays the "poor (insert name here), her olympic experience is ruined..." Its sad that we cant just celebrate our athletes making podium like others do..
the commentators need to get a grip sometimes, hence why i am starting to hate watching gymnastics through the US, and choose BBC for my viewing pleasure.

I agree with blaming the media. I didn't even attempt to watch any of the gymnastics events because I knew they would continue to focus mostly on Simone situation and I love the girl. I will admit that I was pleasantly surprise that they applauded her bronze medal in tonights broadcast and her fight to come back and end on her own accord.

There is also a very real fear that if Simone can walk away from the team, then their teammates can to. Is it on their parents to explain and teach the differences? Absolutely. And I have no doubt that they will.

Can you explain this more? I'm confused by it. Are they fearful their teammates will bail during a competition too? Because honestly, it's just gymnastics. If they are almost elite, then they have been pushed to their limits more than once, and I would probably applaud them for doing exactly like Simone and saying "I can't do this safely right now." The harm in that is so minimal... You lose a meet? So what? Gymnastics is an individual sport anyway, and there are plenty of opportunities to win on your own if you don't trust your teammates.

I can 100% be sick of seeing her EVERYWHERE, but that's the media-not her. It's terrifying to me that a coach, mom, or athlete at this point can still be ragging on her for doing what was 100% the correct choice. Her ability to put her team first won them silver, rather than ruining their shot at a metal all together if she messed up on another event.

Honestly, I believe this will likely change the way I coach forever. I hope to be more understanding, more supportive and remember that in the end it's still just a sport. A fun sport that is supposed to bring enjoyment, not stress and misery.

I would hope that they are doing this for the love of the sport. Even if they make elite, the chances of becoming an Olympic athlete are extremely slim. Potentially they can get a scholarship to college. Loving the sport should really be the only reason though.

That "poor girl" is the organizer of that event. She won't be forced to do anything she doesn't want to.

My point was based on what KristentheGreat said, and that's the stress isn't over after the Olympics, she still has a 35 event tour. Even if she just stands there and cheers everyone on, it is still a 35 event tour scheduled over nine weeks.

The issue that has plagued athletes and musicians for years is they are backed by millions from sponsors, insurance companies, contracts, merchandise, tickets, and they employ a large number of staff/crew. Once they sign on the million dollar line, their art and talent is no longer theirs to control, they are told when, where they can/can't, how often, and what they owe if they back out for an unapproved reason. They are promoted to ridiculous and super human levels of fame and people scream, grab, and run them down in the streets in mobs to meet them. Fans boo/criticize/ridicule/throw things at them if they don't perform to their super human expectations. Often forms of self sabotage emerge with behavior, spending, eating, drugs, alcohol, body, etc. and then the media is all over that and parents are all "my kid looked up to you." What I will agree with you is they should put the spotlight on someone else right now. No criticism, no speculations, no opinions, just let her process what she needs to without the world chiming in on who, what, where, how she should be. When Princess Diana died the aha moment hit, and Megan Markle confirmed it. All the money, jewels, press, castles, clothes didn't create the fairy tale perfect life, it just meant they were owned by the press and a slave to perform as expected.

Can you explain this more? I'm confused by it. Are they fearful their teammates will bail during a competition too? Because honestly, it's just gymnastics. If they are almost elite, then they have been pushed to their limits more than once, and I would probably applaud them for doing exactly like Simone and saying "I can't do this safely right now." The harm in that is so minimal... You lose a meet? So what? Gymnastics is an individual sport anyway, and there are plenty of opportunities to win on your own if you don't trust your teammates.

It's been a long day but I'll try to answer as clearly as possible.
Is she fearful her teammates will just sit out? The answer is yes. To this child she feels let down and that Simone let her team down. This has been echoed by the kid gymnasts I know because they have often had to push through themselves and don't understand why she didn't. The one particular child I quoted has been pushed to the limits and though she loves gymnastics knows the Olympics is not her future---she lives in a state where gymnasts is still in HS and she would like to go onto a college team. This situation has her questioning all of the above and whether the risk is worth the reward.

Her mom is also a coach and was a gymnast herself and has been trying to use this as a teachable moment but the kiddo is having none of it. And neither are her friends. As an adult I understand why she did what she did and why it was necessary, but some of the younger ones seem to be struggling in how to process the events. Simone has opened up a lot of conversations---not just this past week and change, but unfortunately some that viewed her as their idol/hero aren't mature enough to see the bigger picture.

Hope that helps explain further.

Simones teammates were proud of her. All of their statements have been very positive and genuine in regards to Simone. And, honestly alternates live for their moment to jump in and shine.

Simones teammates were proud of her. All of their statements have been very positive and genuine in regards to Simone. And, honestly alternates live for their moment to jump in and shine.

Yes they do! My alternates for comp cheer when I coached were always thrilled to step up. That’s literally why teams select alternates - so an absence doesn’t cause a hardship to a team.

Something that really bothered me from a media standpoint was the tone insinuating that her teammates were somehow not capable of stepping up or random fill ins.

Every single woman on the team is an elite level gymnast capable of delivering a competent performance - and they did.

Are they Simone? No, but they are also not high school gymnasts.

Is she fearful her teammates will just sit out? The answer is yes. To this child she feels let down and that Simone let her team down. This has been echoed by the kid gymnasts I know because they have often had to push through themselves and don't understand why she didn't. The one particular child I quoted has been pushed to the limits and though she loves gymnastics knows the Olympics is not her future---she lives in a state where gymnasts is still in HS and she would like to go onto a college team. This situation has her questioning all of the above and whether the risk is worth the reward.

Her mom is also a coach and was a gymnast herself and has been trying to use this as a teachable moment but the kiddo is having none of it. And neither are her friends. As an adult I understand why she did what she did and why it was necessary, but some of the younger ones seem to be struggling in how to process the events. Simone has opened up a lot of conversations---not just this past week and change, but unfortunately some that viewed her as their idol/hero aren't mature enough to see the bigger picture.

That does help and I appreciate you clarifying!

I understand it, and it's scary that these children cannot see the danger she was in. It's almost... entitled. You were pushed to do things you were uncomfortable with, therefore others (including the best gymnast in the world) should be too? Ooof. This is just an example of how toxic and dangerous youth sports are, and I hope they learn to put their anger towards those coaches rather than Simone. Or, at the very least, understand that the push they may have received is not the same as her situation where her life was at risk if she tried to compete the skills she was not capable of doing at that point.

I appreciate the clarifications, but I do have concerns. Questioning whether or not you want to take risk is valid. Disappointment is a valid, the majority of the World was disappointed. Where the problem lies is it all too often goes beyond disappointment, and it then goes to disrespecting someone's boundaries on their own health and body. When it comes to parenting it is 100% okay to validate disappointment, discuss concerns on risk, but if it goes beyond disappointment and they start disrespecting others boundaries, then they need to be told it won't be tolerated, period, end of story. I'd much rather deal with a child that is disappointed than one that struggles with control.

Back