OT Athlete A

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Playing devil’s advocate: Anyone can watch cheer routine videos on YouTube and social media. If willing to pay anyone can watch Varsity TV/Cheer Flo or attend competitions. Not to mention social media such as Instagram, Snapchat, tick tock, Twitter, etc.

I do feel there need to be background checks on all Coaches and staff that work with athletes.

Last edited:
This is where I've been with it all too. Do I think he should be coaching? No. I don't want anyone with a criminal record coaching my children. I don't think I'd care if my child's music producer had a criminal record though. That person isn't coming into contact with my child any more than the person that sews their uniform.
He consistently attends major competitions and has several pictures of him with athletes on his social media. He should not be allowed to work in the industry in any capacity and if USASF was actually following the safesport guidelines they created, he would have been flagged and should have been removed from the preferred vendor list and banned from their events.

He consistently attends major competitions and has several pictures of him with athletes on his social media. He should not be allowed to work in the industry in any capacity and if USASF was actually following the safesport guidelines they created, he would have been flagged and should have been removed from the preferred vendor list and banned from their events.
That's a different story. You're right, he shouldn't be on the preferred vendor list.

I finally watched this last night. And spent an hour and 45 minutes seething, for the second time in my life, about the horrific way this was handled.

In Canada, we have a company called The Respect Group that provides training that basically every sport requires here. So I started looking at what other training they offer. One is called Keeping Girls in Sport that touches on reasons girls quit, how to retain them, and how to train them effectively while being mindful of things like mechanical, energetic or relationship injury.

We require criminal record checks that are clear. We have yet to encounter someone without a clear criminal record and vulnerable sector (child abuse registry) check.

We're going to discuss with our athletes the value of reporting any type of abuse, by anyone in their lives, and that they will be heard, and reported to the RCMP or City police force as necessary. Full stop, no reporting to our governing body (they don't have a process anyway), no trying to find out ourselves. Disclosures will be reported to parents and police. We have had too many coaches (those of us in our early/mid 30s) come from abusive coaching environments in our youth and we work very hard to create an environment where it isn't tolerated at all.

Back