All-Star Athletic Championships 2016 Providence 1/23 -1/24

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm not exactly sure what gym is in question of being favored, but my best guess (not that I agree with it) would be either ECE or WC as they both had over 10 wins.
But they also brought over 30 teams, so comparatively, they didn't win more often that would start to be suspicious.
For comparison...
ECE had 14 wins from 37 teams, a "winning percentage" of 38%. However, both of their international teams competed alone in their divisions, so 12/35 would be a better ratio for these purposes, giving them 34%.
WC had 11 wins from 33 teams, or 33%. But, Stars competed against no one, so we'll say 10/32, or 31%.
AKA, both programs only won approximately 1/3 of the divisions they entered.
Pro Athletics won 5 divisions with a total of 8 teams there, which is 63%.
Star Athletics brought 5 teams and won 3 divisions...60%.
(I saw the WC and ECE wins & # of teams brought on Facebook and Star's on Twitter. I looked up Pro's though bc I knew they had a few wins but didn't know exact numbers, just in case anyone thinks I'm crazy and went through all of the results to figure this out for all the programs haha)
I am in NO way trying to say that Pro or Star were actually the ones favored, because both gyms are amazing and likely deserved their wins, I am just trying to point out that ECE or WC really did not win a crazy amount of divisions when you compare it to how many teams they brought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not exactly sure what gym is in question of being favored, but my best guess (not that I agree with it) would be either ECE or WC as they both had over 10 wins.
But they also brought over 30 teams, so comparatively, they didn't win more often that would start to be suspicious.
For comparison...
ECE had 14 wins from 37 teams, a "winning percentage" of 38%. However, both of their international teams competed alone in their divisions, so 12/35 would be a better ratio for these purposes, giving them 34%.
WC had 11 wins from 33 teams, or 33%. But, Stars competed against no one, so we'll say 10/32, or 31%.
AKA, both programs only won approximately 1/3 of the divisions they entered.
Pro Athletics won 5 divisions with a total of 8 teams there, which is 63%.
Star Athletics brought 5 teams and won 3 divisions...60%.
(I saw the WC and ECE wins & # of teams brought on Facebook and Star's on Twitter. I looked up Pro's though bc I knew they had a few wins but didn't know exact numbers, just in case anyone thinks I'm crazy and went through all of the results to figure this out for all the programs haha)
I am in NO way trying to say that Pro or Star were actually the ones favored, because both gyms are amazing and likely deserved their wins, I am just trying to point out that ECE or WC really did not win a crazy amount of divisions when you compare it to how many teams they brought.

Thank you. This is what I was trying to say earlier, but I didn't get into the math :)

Well even if a gym wasn't favored scoring was SO OFF in some divisions! Like to the point of rediculous! I need these judges to justify to me my particular division. I have been coaching for over 20 years and have never seen anything so blatantly wrong And I know I wasn't the only one with this problem

That is crazy! We went to athletics in Oklahoma in December and we thought the scores were extremely accurate and the placements (it was also a 2 day event). Which we get those same scores and placements most other places as well but we think they do an amazing job. Even if my daughters team was our only team that lost[emoji23] I still thought it was accurate though.

When a gym brings 30 plus teams and their $$$$ to comps....hmmm....been to this comp for over 10 years and some things will NEVER change

When a gym brings 30 plus teams and their $$$$ to comps....hmmm....been to this comp for over 10 years and some things will NEVER change
I don't know why everyone seems so surprised about this. I'm not talking about this comp in particular but I'm sure most people can pinpoint certain comps where specific gyms that bring many teams every year seem to be more favored over other gyms that don't have as many there. EPs want those gyms to continue bringing that $$ in. Its not some great revelation.

If the scoring was so bad it's up to the coaches and owners to call the judges out on it. If I am understanding what I am reading from this thread the logic is if teams from said "favored gyms" hit a clean routine and with difficulty and win its because of the name on their uniform or how many teams they brought?? But if a smaller gym hits a clean routine and wins its because of their performance? Judging is subjective always has been. Do I always agree with scores no but then again I'm a parent and it's not my job to worry about scores. That's what the coaches are for. They will figure out where the routine needs improvement. I don't think it's fair to Say "oh well you only lost because the other team brought X amount of teams or are from a favored gym" that's just setting up resentment. Everyone wants to win! Work hard. To be the best you have to beat the best.

If the scoring was so bad it's up to the coaches and owners to call the judges out on it. If I am understanding what I am reading from this thread the logic is if teams from said "favored gyms" hit a clean routine and with difficulty and win its because of the name on their uniform or how many teams they brought?? But if a smaller gym hits a clean routine and wins its because of their performance? Judging is subjective always has been. Do I always agree with scores no but then again I'm a parent and it's not my job to worry about scores. That's what the coaches are for. They will figure out where the routine needs improvement. I don't think it's fair to Say "oh well you only lost because the other team brought X amount of teams or are from a favored gym" that's just setting up resentment. Everyone wants to win! Work hard. To be the best you have to beat the best.
You'd think, wouldn't you? We are talking about cheer though.

Im sorry you all feel this way. Hopefully you are all going to AC next weekend and you will be judged "fairly".... But gasp, there will be several teams from the "other" gym there.
Plenty of our teams did not win in RI. Being part of a large gym has many advantages including the best choreographers and coaches that have a plethora of atheletes that they strategically place together to maximize the score sheets.
I'm sorry you are all salty, but please stop saying the judges just "favor" one gym.
Good luck to all next weekend!

My CP has been in allstar 10years now. Nothing has changed except more and more resentment towards successful gyms. If my CP's team doesn't win. It's back to the gym next practice and work on what went wrong.. My CP's team hit the best routine of their season both days this weekend with difficulty. I will not say oh it's cause the gym we are from that you won! That's bs! They killed it this weekend and should be just a proud for hitting zero deduction routines both days! So instead of being proud of their hard work and hitting it has to be negated because of the gym we go to? No they won becuase they hit clean and hit hard. There will always be someone bigger or better.

I don't know why everyone seems so surprised about this. I'm not talking about this comp in particular but I'm sure most people can pinpoint certain comps where specific gyms that bring many teams every year seem to be more favored over other gyms that don't have as many there. EPs want those gyms to continue bringing that $$ in. Its not some great revelation.

shouldnt the judges be scoring the teams on the routines they put on the floor rather than scoring teams higher because they bring alot of teams to the competition? seems totatlly unethical to score teams higher because their gym is bringing alot of money to the EP. I dont think this is fair and yes im suprised that some competitions do this.

i cant speak for other divisions but i know that the division my team was in had the results wrong in my opinion. and yes the big name gym that people are talking about won this division.

i am not saying that this gym shouldnt have won other divisions they were in becuase i didnt see alot of the other divisions besides my teams. just saying going off scores and placements it seems like this gym was definitely favored.

Trust me, coaches and owners do call judges out on it. But when we do, it's basically talking in circles because the judges/scoring reps just put the blame back on the USASF and take no responsibility.

Back