All-Star Average Age To Start All-star Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Can't compare tumbling progression between gymnastics and cheer. Gymnastics is big time progression/form/ and doing a full year or 2 or more at same level. Cheer u can just throw it without thinking about form... I think doing gymnastics before cheer can b beneficial.

This isn't true where CP cheers and more and more cheer programs are moving away from this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CP started out doing AYC cheer at age 5 (in kindergarten) By her 3rd year of AYC (age 7, 2nd grade) she was bored of AYC because it was the same cheers, same thing each year from August to November. Her friend was also bored of AYC. That year her friend found out her teacher was an All Star cheer coach and told CP so together CP and her friend asked if they could join. They were told to wait but that she would get a hold of me and CP's friend's parents if they did a summer camp. At this point that's when I found out that CP had found out about All Star cheer and what it was and CP and her friend talked about it a lot. That summer the teacher contacted me about a summer camp and said if there was enough interest she was considering forming a youth team and asked if CP wanted to come and try it out. CP went and loved it, her friend decided to take a break that year. There was interest so a youth team was formed and CP started all stars at age 8, 3rd grade.

CP started at 4 after a small local program decided to field a mini team for the first time (she did rec dance for 2 years prior and found it to be boring, cheerleading was just more exciting and she was an active kid who had a lot of energy. She also did some rec gymnastics at the same time as cheer for the first year and a half). Up until this season she was one of those kids who ate, slept, breathed cheer---this season was a difficult one for a few different reasons so I have ever so gently (or not gently depending upon perspective) pushed her towards another sport she has come to love and excel at. Younger CP started at 6; all-star is not in her future but she is switching over to what many would consider Pop Warner styled cheer this summer. She is excited about it.

If I could go backwards and do it all again, we would not have done all-star cheerleading. I am hopeful that we never go back, but it'll be up to older if she ever finds she misses it and wants to return...if, and only if that happens would I consider it. If she loves gymnastics I'd keep her there.

CP started at 4 after a small local program decided to field a mini team for the first time (she did rec dance for 2 years prior and found it to be boring, cheerleading was just more exciting and she was an active kid who had a lot of energy. She also did some rec gymnastics at the same time as cheer for the first year and a half). Up until this season she was one of those kids who ate, slept, breathed cheer---this season was a difficult one for a few different reasons so I have ever so gently (or not gently depending upon perspective) pushed her towards another sport she has come to love and excel at. Younger CP started at 6; all-star is not in her future but she is switching over to what many would consider Pop Warner styled cheer this summer. She is excited about it.

If I could go backwards and do it all again, we would not have done all-star cheerleading. I am hopeful that we never go back, but it'll be up to older if she ever finds she misses it and wants to return...if, and only if that happens would I consider it. If she loves gymnastics I'd keep her there.

I completely understand if this is personal/private and you don't wish to share, but why are you hopeful to never go back to AS Cheer?

Back