Back Extension Roll- Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 5, 2017
I am on a J1 team and I'm trying to get my back extension roll but I'm really struggling. I can do all other level one skills as well including one-handed front and back walkovers. Am also working on a back-handspring. Anyway, the point is I REALLY NEED SOME TIPS.

Blocking handstands helped my CP strengthen the muscles needed for the back extension roll. Side note, please DO NOT do one handed walkovers. They are a recipe for injury.

Blocking handstands helped my CP strengthen the muscles needed for the back extension roll. Side note, please DO NOT do one handed walkovers. They are a recipe for injury.
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely do block handstands more often even though they are my least favourite drill. Also, I was not aware that one-handed walkovers were that dangerous?

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely do block handstands more often even though they are my least favourite drill. Also, I was not aware that one-handed walkovers were that dangerous?
they can cause uneven flexibility that leads to pulling in other skills, specifically BHS that can lead to elbow injury. CP had uneven flexibility due to an injury and had to work hard to correct it. It was causing her pain in BHS and could have led to a serious injury. Her coach says he has seen the same thing from one handed skills. Its also very easy to twist in the skill, causing injury. That factor is multiplied when your entire body weight comes down on that one arm. Not worth the risk for something that cannot be competed anyway.

they can cause uneven flexibility that leads to pulling in other skills, specifically BHS that can lead to elbow injury. CP had uneven flexibility due to an injury and had to work hard to correct it. It was causing her pain in BHS and could have led to a serious injury. Her coach says he has seen the same thing from one handed skills. Its also very easy to twist in the skill, causing injury. That factor is multiplied when your entire body weight comes down on that one arm. Not worth the risk for something that cannot be competed anyway.

They actually can be competed now, which I hate. I would never put them in a routine because of how potentially dangerous they are,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have the ability, take a private lesson with a gymnastics coach. A back extension roll is a pretty fundamental gymnastics skill and is in the early compulsory routines (I believe it's in L4 and maybe L5, but I get mixed up now that they changed all of the levels a few years ago). Anyway, there are some tricks, like pushing your butt back and snapping while you roll, that will make the skill easier and much prettier. You want your fingers turned in and touching and you want your arms straight, then you snap and roll right onto your hands. You shouldn't be bending your arms or pushing to a handstand at all. Also, lots and lots and lots of practice on the cheese mat. Good luck!

Back