High School Backspot?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 21, 2013
I'm a senior on a varsity team, I feel like I need more advice on this. Freshmen don't usually make varsity, but there are 3 this year on the team. Anyway, one of the freshmen is a backspot, because she was good in middle school. Now, she's way too short and is super uncomfortable backing. She's an alternate for competition, but even if she would have to step in, she just can't reach. It's not like we're doing easy stunts, either. We have scorps, switch-ups, etc. She doesn't know what to do or how to fix the problem because she just gets yelled at, and I feel terrible.

There are multiple ways to solve this problem, you can bring the to the table and see if any of them work for her and the team.
She can grab the bases wrists instead of reaching for the flyers ankle, though I don't know if the flyer would be comfortable with this.
Bases can always squat and get lower so the back spot can reach the ankle.
She can switch to a group with shorter bases.
Since it sounds like the bases are taller than her, she could switch spots with a base, though it could require a lot of hard work, but versatility never hurts!
Hope these help! Have you brought it to the coaches attention that she isn't tall enough to reach? Height isn't something that can be changed and she shouldn't be yelled at for it. She's probably lacking confidence, so if you give her a pep talk or some comfort, I'm sure she would appreciate it. Encourage her to talk with her stunt group. Communication is important with stunt group dynamics!

I feel like she just has to get comfortable with working with the older girls especially if she is a freshman. There are a lot of shorter backspots on my team, and they were made into bases and it worked out really well. It will take time for her to adjust both ways, but if she was that good in middle school she will be fine on varsity with hard work.

i am a back spot on my team and i have been for the past two years. i am one of the shortest girls on my team. the bases in my stunt group aren't much taller than me so most of the time they squat a little for me to reach more. other times i grab their wrist instead. our flyers are pretty experienced that they understand why i need to hold wrist instead of ankles and trust me that i will catch them when they fall. the only issue with her being shorter than her bases is if she tries to reach for ankles she could pull the flyer down causing more weight on the bases without meaning to. i have had that happen to me before. it just take time and practice to get the right feel with a shorter back spot.

Back