OT Being A Cheerleader Back Then, Was It Really That Big Of A Deal?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Not absolutely necessary IMO for learning BHS. In some cases it can definitely do more harm than good, especially when you are just learning, or if it is not used in balance with other surfaces (wedges, panel mats, 8 inch mats, etc)
Our coaches use the tumble track sparingly if at all when teaching BHS. They say that the girls get too used to throwing it there and it makes it harder to transition to the floor. The 8 inch mat is actually the mat of choice for learning to throw it by yourself. CP's private lesson coach says that if they can throw it there with proper technique the transition to the floor is easy because the 8 inch mat requires more balance, control, and power.

Our coaches use the tumble track sparingly if at all when teaching BHS. They say that the girls get too used to throwing it there and it makes it harder to transition to the floor. The 8 inch mat is actually the mat of choice for learning to throw it by yourself. CP's private lesson coach says that if they can throw it there with proper technique the transition to the floor is easy because the 8 inch mat requires more balance, control, and power.

I agree. I tend to only use it (when teaching BHS) to jump off the end onto an 8 inch mat. For me this is to emphasize the sit back into the jump not sit down before jumping. Gives the athlete an immediate visual to what you want them to do. My preferred way of using the tumble track in teaching a BHS is actually put the 8 inch mat partly on the end of the tumble track so there is a slight incline. Then to remove the 8 inch to its regular place. However I use it sparingly.

Not absolutely necessary IMO for learning BHS. In some cases it can definitely do more harm than good, especially when you are just learning, or if it is not used in balance with other surfaces (wedges, panel mats, 8 inch mats, etc)

I didn't use the tumble track to learn any of my tumbling until I started to learn fulls and I hated that thing. I still
hate tumbling on it.

I didn't use the tumble track to learn any of my tumbling until I started to learn fulls and I hated that thing. I still
hate tumbling on it.
CP hates the tumble track and the rod floor. She would rather be on spring floor or dead floor. She understands that she needs to use one or the other when doing lots of reps on a new skill, but really doesn't like them.

CP hates the tumble track and the rod floor. She would rather be on spring floor or dead floor.

I'm exactly like you CP. I would rather be on the dead floor over spring floor any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally makes sense! And with the dead mat, it's like you always have to "give it your all" because you don't have that extra spring to help you so you can't be lazy in your tumbling...unless you want to land on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back