OT Being A Cheerleader Back Then, Was It Really That Big Of A Deal?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Yes. UA last season fielded 3 half season senior teams, one of which was a coed 5 that got a worlds bid (at large they declined because it was about 3 weeks before worlds). We do have a few of the state high school powerhouse teams in our area though, so I don't think we have a higher percentage going to UA in relation to other gyms.

Wow, I had no idea there were level 5 world caliber half year teams! That is very cool!

Finally someone asks this question.... it's funny because last night I was watching 'Willing to Kill: The Texas Cheerleader Story' on YouTube.... I swear, if basket weaving were considered to be the most competitive, most elite activity that a girl could do, we would be swing seeing crazy Texas basket weaving moms....

If your youth half season teams consisted only of crossovers from full season, I would suggest that your gym isn't using the program to its full advantage, or marketing it as well as they could be. :)

Truer words were never spoken. We are no longer there, but it is mind boggling.

@KikiD22 I wondered if UA got more high school kids than other gyms. I don't know all the high schools, I just knew which ones were near our gym. Do you think you guys have powerhouse teams near you because they're in the UA area (and UA feeds the high schools), or do you think just a lot of really good cheerleaders live there? (Or are the coaches all amazing?)

I swear, no wonder all star flourished the way it did.Wouldn't it be funny to be on an all star team and know that you are 1000x more skilled than the snobs at their school!

Too bad most of America can't get past that.

BTW, I read that looks still play a role in high school tryouts (and by that I mean physical attractiveness, not appearance/dressing the manner that you were told). Is that true? Even with some competitive school programs?

I could be mistaken (I guess I will see in a bit), but around me half year teams are marketed as a less intense and lower committment teams where kids can try out all star w/ shorter and less frequent practices, and fewer competitions and no travel. Most would be level 1 or 2, and maybe, just maybe, a level 3 if you were lucky to get enough kids with tumbling talent and supplement w/ crossovers. There would be no such thing as a level 5 half year as kids w/ level 5 skills would definitely be on the full committment travel teams.

Re: the original question of this post, when I was in high school (I graduated in the very early 90's), the mentality of the cheerleaders rulling the school socially was beginning to fade. Yeah, cheerleaders were still generally more popular as a group, but it wasn't an absolute necessity to be a cheerleader in order to be popular, and some of the most popular kids of all did not cheer. Our tryouts were always judged by judges and not the student body (omg - I can't even imagine how cut throat and political that would get!), and were (for the most part) based on dance ability and tumbling skills. Looks did seem to play some role in selections, but being pretty alone would not get you on the squad.

I think that the time period about 5-10 years prior to when I graduated was VERY dominanted by the attitude that being a cheerleader was the ultimate in HS social status - and most people of that generation will forever have that stereotype of cheerleaders in their mind. I believe the Twinkles YouTube documentary has a guy saying some things in it about those stereotypes.

There are probably some HS programs that base tryouts on looks, but it isn't the norm - not even 'back in the day' from my experience. (And don't for a minute think that all stars are exempt from placement/position decisions being influenced by physical attractiveness.)

I would also suggest that someone making the assumption that an all star cheerleader is "1000x more skilled" than a HS athlete is the snobbish one. ;-)

I could be mistaken (I guess I will see in a bit), but around me half year teams are marketed as a less intense and lower committment teams where kids can try out all star w/ shorter and less frequent practices, and fewer competitions and no travel. Most would be level 1 or 2, and maybe, just maybe, a level 3 if you were lucky to get enough kids with tumbling talent and supplement w/ crossovers. There would be no such thing as a level 5 half year as kids w/ level 5 skills would definitely be on the full committment travel teams.

There is (or at least was) a difference between half year teams and prep teams. I think this is why prep was created. Prep is what people do who don't want the commitment, half-year is what people do that are in school cheer and aren't allowed to do full year teams. At least that's how it is here. I've seen a lot of half year level 5 teams here.

I would also suggest that someone making the assumption that an all star cheerleader is "1000x more skilled" than a HS athlete is the snobbish one. ;-)

A shimmy wasn't enough, so I thought I'd quote and give more shimmys
:shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy:

:shimmy::shimmy:

There are probably some HS programs that base tryouts on looks, but it isn't the norm - not even 'back in the day' from my experience. (And don't for a minute think that all stars are exempt from placement/position decisions being influenced by physical attractiveness.)

Oh, I'm a die-hard HS cheer fan (I actually prefer it to all star)! But back then, not everybody was Greenup, if you get what I'm saying. If your town happened to have bad cheerleaders but you were on a highly skilled all star team, it was like one-upping those girls.

And my blood boils when people make that assumption! All star gyms can pull kids from all over the place, whereas good high school teams are good because all of the skilled kids are from the same school. It's much harder to cultivate a talent pool that way.

Last edited:
I swear, no wonder all star flourished the way it did.Wouldn't it be funny to be on an all star team and know that you are 1000x more skilled than the snobs at their school!

Too bad most of America can't get past that.

BTW, I read that looks still play a role in high school tryouts (and by that I mean physical attractiveness, not appearance/dressing the manner that you were told). Is that true? Even with some competitive school programs?
I know that looks play a factor here. All of the local high schools are ground bound due to a lawsuit about 30 years ago, so the focus is much more on Home Pom type routines and sideline cheers. It isn't as athletically competitive, and a lot is based on the look they are going for.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I know that looks play a factor here. All of the local high schools are ground bound due to a lawsuit about 30 years ago, so the focus is much more on Home Pom type routines and sideline cheers. It isn't as athletically competitive, and a lot is based on the look they are going for.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
That's unfortunate. Do you guys have good Pop Warner/Rec or all star programs?

Looks don't really play a factor at my school. Our coaches want everyone to look "natural" with no crazy hairstyles/colors, but physical attractiveness doesn't play a factor. Our coaches focus on talent and work ethic, and thankfully stress that to our team. I'm not sure about other schools, though.

So do these schools w/ highly skilled HS cheerleaders, that aren't also all star cheerleaders, develop those altheletes' skills themselves w/in the school program?

Around me our schools just don't have the equipment (tumble tracks, pits) and can't devote the practice hours necessary to develop advanced tumbling skills - kids have to walk in w/ those skills or the squads just aren't doing them. Maybe other areas are different.

So do these schools w/ highly skilled HS cheerleaders, that aren't also all star cheerleaders, develop those altheletes' skills themselves w/in the school program?

Around me our schools just don't have the equipment (tumble tracks, pits) and can't devote the practice hours necessary to develop advanced tumbling skills - kids have to walk in w/ those skills or the squads just aren't doing them. Maybe other areas are different.
They take tumbling classes at all star gyms and gymnastics gyms while cheering at their school.

Back