Bhs & Back Tuck?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 17, 2014
Hi everyone!
My name is May and I've only been cheering for a year. I used to do gymnastics but had surgery where they removed a few ribs and had to quit. I just graduated high school and am joining my college team.

I DESPERATELY need a BHS and back tuck. I used to do both but now I have a mental block. I have a gym I go to with a foam pit, trampoline, and mats. But I can't even start. I'm afraid in a BHS I'll collapse and hurt my neck. In my tuck I'm afraid of under rotating. Any tips to get over the fear?

ALSO IF YOU CAN PLEASE HELP ME PAY FOR MY COLLEGE CHEER CAMP AND EXPENSES. My family has no money. I'm only going to college because I have a full ride scholarship. Anything helps!
gofundme.com/cheerdreams

Thank you!

No one will Hire me because I'll only be able to work for two months before I go to college.

Many places will hire college students for seasonal summer jobs. You should definitely look into it. When you get to college, you may want a part-time job for spending money. It can get expensive being away.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Helpful Hint.....get a job at one of the chain restaurant's. Chili's, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, Olive Garden, etc.....people who work for corporate restaurant's have no problem transferring stores when they go away to college.

Even if you work 3 day's a week all summer double shifts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday you could have $450-$540 per weekend in cash to save toward your cheer expenses. If you leave for college in 2 months that's $3600-$4320 cash in your bank acct!!! Much more lucrative than gofundme.

If your family has no money, you should be eligible for student loans? I know I'm still paying off mine, no free ride here.

There are lots of options for employment, you could apply to be a Teacher's Aid, you could go to your student employment center and see what they have available, and the aforementioned chain restaurants.

Sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself - it will come in time. Just keep practicing and as you get more comfortable on the cheer floor some of the blocks may slip away. Don't force something that doesn't feel right, that's how injuries happen. Good luck!

I used gofundme for my 2 CP's, but only towards family members and close friends. For example I shared it with their Grandparents and Great Aunts/Great Uncles. There is no way for people that do not know you to even know if your story is real or not. I would not recommend using gofund me towards strangers. It comes off as rude.

If your family has no money, you should be eligible for student loans? I know I'm still paying off mine, no free ride here.
!
She is attending college on a full ride scholarship, the $ request is strictly for cheer. Would student loans cover that?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android I promise I'm not really a hat

She is attending college on a full ride scholarship, the $ request is strictly for cheer. Would student loans cover that?

I know my school you can take out student loans and whatever's not used on your bill is sent to you in a check to use for gas money, an apartment if you have one or whatever else. I would NOT recommend anyone using their refund check for cheer. That's a huge waste of that money and will put you in debt for cheer... crazy!

Try Abercrombie Kids, Abercrombie & Fitch or Hollister. They are ALWAYS hiring. I worked there for only two months in the summer before college last year.

I really appreciate that, but I've applied to literally everywhere in walking distance. The fact is, I can't get a job until I get to college, and by then It'll be too late to pay for camp. I simply don't have the money, and I see tons of friends on GoFundMe get most of their money from total strangers!

I get everyone's points and appreciate the opinions, honestly. But this thread was meant to be about my BHS and tuck.

I really appreciate that, but I've applied to literally everywhere in walking distance. The fact is, I can't get a job until I get to college, and by then It'll be too late to pay for camp. I simply don't have the money, and I see tons of friends on GoFundMe get most of their money from total strangers!

I get everyone's points and appreciate the opinions, honestly. But this thread was meant to be about my BHS and tuck.
To keep focus on the issue of the BHS and tuck then no mention of the gofundme should have been made. I realize you are new here and apologize if you feel attacked or offended but the gofundme for cheer is becoming a hot topic. We all have difficult financial struggles and sometimes the hard decision of not doing something you love is a reality.

If you haven't spent a lot of time on the boards I would recommend you read some stuff to get an idea of hot topics just so you are prepared. Some of these topics include cheerlebrities, stacking/sandbagging teams, crossovers, who should have won Small Coed, Gyms changing teams for The Summit...

The list goes on.

Now for your issue at hand, a mental block is a difficult thing to deal with and one session at a camp may or may not do it for you. Something you should consider is seeking out an old tumbling coach you know and trust and ask them to help you start tumbling again. Let them give you a heavy spot and work basics to try easing your mind into it.

Good luck and hope school goes well for you and you make the cheer team.

I apologize if this comes off rude but chances are you if you want it enough you can get a job before college, even if it's just nannying. Or maybe wait to get a job during college and take a loan from your parents to cover cheer fees. Pay them back once you have a job.

Now for the tumbling, find someone you trust to spot you. If it's your first time at the gym and you don't know any of the staff then that might be hard. I've found through my own experiences with mental blocks that you have to be confident. If you think you're gonna collapse then chances are you will. Check out Debbie Love's website for metal block help.

For your back handspring, make sure to lock out your arms and block through your shoulders. If you bend your arms you will collapse.

Tucks: Make sure you have a good set (arms by ears) and you're not throwing your head back. Whatever tumbling you do make sure you commit to it and don't give up halfway through. You'll have a higher chance of getting injured if you just decide to give up during a skill.

I don't like gofundme, so I won't comment on that.

Mental blocks are tricky, but usually don't get better if you are forcing it. You said you desperately need your tumbling, but putting that kind of pressure on yourself may make it worse. Also, Have you consulted with a doctor about tumbling after your surgery? Ribs are important. For the past two years I've been dealing with a never ending rib injury and all of my doctors treat me like a porcelain doll. Your safety should come first.

Did you already make your college team? All college kids are broke, so odds are if you're struggling to find the money, other girls are, too. Ask the coach about doing some fundraisers.

If you can't find work, sign up for websites like care.com or have your parents and friends put the word out to people they know that you're available to babysit or do odd jobs. Summertime is tough for a lot of working families and I'm sure you could find a babysitting job if you really looked.

Latest posts

Back