OT Book Club

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I finished The Maze Runner in less than 24 hours (woops) so obviously I thought it was really awesome! I need to see the movie now and finish the trilogy.

Ooooh let me know what you think about the movie! I just watched it for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was ok, obviously the book was better. They left out a lot of my favorite parts and downplayed a lot of important details. I also expected the grievers to look like slugs, not spiders lol. (Maybe they were described as spider looking creatures in the book? It's been a while since I read it.) but IMO it was one of the better adapted movies in the YA dystopian genre. I'm excited for the second movie because I liked that book the best!

It's funny, because usually in book threads on here everyone raves about Gone Girl (not just on here - everywhere, really). I'm usually the only one posting that I didn't like it. Glad to see I'm finally not the only person that didn't.

Although I more than "didn't like" it, it's in my top 5 worst books I've ever read. It's battling for first place with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Chocolate Money - which is still, hands down, the WORST book I've ever read. That's the only time I've ever actually asked for a refund on a book.

Right now I'm reading The Glassblower - just started it, so I don't know of its good. Seems just OK so far.

Next up is Sleep Tight - I need a mystery I think.

It's funny, because usually in book threads on here everyone raves about Gone Girl (not just on here - everywhere, really). I'm usually the only one posting that I didn't like it. Glad to see I'm finally not the only person that didn't.

Although I more than "didn't like" it, it's in my top 5 worst books I've ever read. It's battling for first place with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Chocolate Money - which is still, hands down, the WORST book I've ever read. That's the only time I've ever actually asked for a refund on a book.

Right now I'm reading The Glassblower - just started it, so I don't know of its good. Seems just OK so far.

Is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo really that bad? I have it sitting on my bedroom floor in my To Be Read pile right now.... Along with the second and third books.

Is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo really that bad? I have it sitting on my bedroom floor in my To Be Read pile right now.... Along with the second and third books.

I liked the series, but there was a lot of legal jargon (financial? Political? Honestly can't recall) that I just completely skipped over. Like the story got lost in details that seemed irrelevant...or, at the very least, just too much.

Most people seem to love it. I'm the only person I know who didn't like it. Everyone kept telling me, "Oh it starts slow but it picks up after about 70 pages."

I guess. I mean, it does... But I just didn't care for it. I have a hard time with books where all the characters are unlikeable (same with Gone Girl).

You should read it. Lots of people think it's the greatest book ever.

I agree with Gone Girl, too. I finished it, and found the story really interesting...but it was hard because I hated those people. It was impossible to find any redeeming qualities in the characters. On the other hand, I found the husband tolerable in the movie, so I enjoyed it a lot more.

I admit it - I'm a book-finisher. Unless a book is really bad, I have to finish it. So far I can only remember one book I didn't finish - The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I tried really hard to finish it, but about 200 pages in I couldn't take it anymore. Other than that I'll finish all books that I started to read - no matter how bad they are. I don't even know why I do that, I just feel like I owe it to the book to be read. And maybe I feel bad for the book, because it can't be blamed that it's bad, it's the author's fault after all. I guess I'm weird.

Most people seem to love it. I'm the only person I know who didn't like it. Everyone kept telling me, "Oh it starts slow but it picks up after about 70 pages."

I guess. I mean, it does... But I just didn't care for it. I have a hard time with books where all the characters are unlikeable (same with Gone Girl).

You should read it. Lots of people think it's the greatest book ever.

Nope, I hated it too. Well, I guess I can't say that because I never finished it, but I started it over 5 times and just couldn't force myself to read it.

There's only two books EVER that I couldn't finish. I normally force myself.. But TGWTDT was one of them and the other I recommend no one ever even picks up. Pure by Rebecca Ray I think? Idk random Barnes bargain book. Ugh. Ick. Don't do it! It's narrated by a young 13/14 teen girl (I think the actual author? She wrote the book at 17 so I think it's about her) and it's about her relationship with an icky 30 something year old pedophile/alcoholic and their sex and it's just disturbing. And her parents let her date him and had their own abusive relationship going on. It has such a happy cover and the book description on the back did not give any hints that THAT was going to be the story. I threw the book out. I almost lit it on fire. I don't care to know how it ends.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was very hard to get into but I promise turns incredible. It is the writing style that takes some time getting used to; it is very dry and clinical. I read it and put it down, came back to it a few months later and then plowed through the entire trilogy. The original movies in Swedish (they made the whole trilogy over there into movies) were great.

Nope, I hated it too. Well, I guess I can't say that because I never finished it, but I started it over 5 times and just couldn't force myself to read it.

There's only two books EVER that I couldn't finish. I normally force myself.. But TGWTDT was one of them and the other I recommend no one ever even picks up. Pure by Rebecca Ray I think? Idk random Barnes bargain book. Ugh. Ick. Don't do it! It's narrated by a young 13/14 teen girl (I think the actual author? She wrote the book at 17 so I think it's about her) and it's about her relationship with an icky 30 something year old pedophile/alcoholic and their sex and it's just disturbing. And her parents let her date him and had their own abusive relationship going on. It has such a happy cover and the book description on the back did not give any hints that THAT was going to be the story. I threw the book out. I almost lit it on fire. I don't care to know how it ends.

The Winter Sea is one I didn't finish, but just because I kept falling asleep - sooooooooo boring. But the other one I didn't finish was The Chocolate Money. Just..... Ew. Completely gross. I kept trying to get past it to get into the actual story, but I couldn't. Those are the only 2 books I've ever stopped reading and never gone back to finish.

@CheerBank I did finish TGWTDT, but I just did not ever get into it. I saw the non-Swedish version of the movie here, but I fell asleep. :oops:

I finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but it was really hard for me to get into. I liked the other two though. I think they were much better than the first!

I also have TGWTDT here at home. I've picked it up various times and cannot even read past the first page. I guess my brain just knows I'm going to hate it.

Reviving this thread because I'm looking for books to read while I'm traveling this summer!
I was thinking of reading The Ghost Bride... Has anyone read it? It sounds really interesting but I can't commit to it yet for some unknown reason...

I have a book suggestion for YA book fans

2 of the girls in my Teen Advisory Board at work wanted to start a book club. One is a senior in high school and the other is a freshman. Both bright, brilliant, smart etc girls....but in different ways (freshman vs senior). The senior wanted to read "The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.....and the freshman wanted to read "Eleven Birthdays" by Wendy Mass..... so... there was clearly a predicament

Fortunately the following work day, some new YA titles came across my desk, and I skimmed "Infinite in Between" by Carolyn Mackler and decided to read it, and besides being a really good book (the ending is a bit of a whomp whomp though) it would work perfectly for a freshman/senior book club because the characters start off freshman and it concludes their senior year.

Anyway, if you enjoy YA realistic fiction check out "Infinite in Between" by Carolyn Mackler

Latest posts

Back