High School Boy Disqualifies Team?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1556
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I personally think it's stupid. What is it teaching kids? Don't follow your dreams, if you're a certain sex at a certain place, you'll won't make it.

there is not a coed division. They had not experienced it before. Also in some states 1 boy still doesn't make it coed, but there was not a clear rule.

It's not that they were being sexist, they just hadn't updated their rules to be clear. When clarity is not set, they caution to the conservative.

Honestly, I NEVER mind if my girls compete against one boy, it's OK.. but that is just silly.. he is 1 boy I am sure he was not doing straight co-ed stunts.. what a silly reason...

There should be a "co-ed" division... That makes me ANGRY

Even without a coed division he should absolutely be allowed to compete, in most states you need around 2 or 3 guys to even qualify for coed. This is just gonna discourage other high school males to try cheerleading.

I agree! Let's not discourage boys but welcome them. Understandbly so, not all teams are really "Small Co-ed" w/ 1-2 boys... however, if they feel so strongly work toward making a division for them and maybe set rules for division (certain co-ed stunts) or something is not allowed w/ x amout of boys in routine so it is not unfair... or they have to join small co-ed etc! I dunno I just think 1 boy that is probably not throwing a toss stretch alone really wouldn't make much of a difference in the scoring!

Im from michigan. I didn't hear about this but its true, coed teams are not allowed. Im really not sure how MHSAA gets away with this rule because if a girlw ants to wrestle or play football they HAVE to let her. I know a few years ago there was a coed team called PSC UNITED and they attested to MHSAA that if they weren't allowed to compete for them coed that they had to let them go to UCA nationals in florida and compete in that format. they were granted the right. this rule makes me very mad because I just dont see how theyre allowed to say a boy can't cheer. Also if any of you didn't know Michigan competitive cheer is very different, we're not allowed to use music adn its split into 3 rounds, I can't post a video right now because i'm at school but if anyones intrested i will post one when I get home

that has to be one of the dumbest rules i have ever heard. its not fair to say that he cant compete when every other state (as far as i know) has a coed division and all of the national competitions (hs and allstar) have coed divisions. coed cheer is a really big part of our sport so to restrict him from competing isnt fair at all and it makes no sense when you look at cheer as a whole

In New Hampshire we have coed teams, but they compete against all girl teams. We are all in the same division, which is okay until a team comes along with more than one boy.

that has to be one of the dumbest rules i have ever heard. its not fair to say that he cant compete when every other state (as far as i know) has a coed division and all of the national competitions (hs and allstar) have coed divisions. coed cheer is a really big part of our sport so to restrict him from competing isnt fair at all and it makes no sense when you look at cheer as a whole
Okay, now that I have had the chance to look into this story, I feel we are getting carried away. What I was able to gather from my reivew is that the coach messed up and registered the team incorrectly. The rule is that if there is a male on the squad, the squad must perform in the coed division, not all girl.....So it seems as though this was a simple mistake and not really a "dumb rule".....There are some States/Competitions were there is a certain number of male participants before the squad is considered coed; however is this state, the number is one....that is the rule....so I hold the coach responsible for not knowing what the rules and regulations of the state/competition are prior to registering. Also, I hold the reporter responsible for not doing the proper investigation before publishing the article. JMO

Okay, now that I have had the chance to look into this story, I feel we are getting carried away. What I was able to gather from my reivew is that the coach messed up and registered the team incorrectly. The rule is that if there is a male on the squad, the squad must perform in the coed division, not all girl.....So it seems as though this was a simple mistake and not really a "dumb rule".....There are some States/Competitions were there is a certain number of male participants before the squad is considered coed; however is this state, the number is one....that is the rule....so I hold the coach responsible for not knowing what the rules and regulations of the state/competition are prior to registering. Also, I hold the reporter responsible for not doing the proper investigation before publishing the article. JMO
in michigan there is no coed or all girl. there actually arent any division besides JV and varsity, it actually is a "dumb rule" because boys arent allowed to compete

Back