All-Star Boys Shouldn't Fly???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is anyone else really bothered by the way the judge referred to an 'unspoken rule'? The whole point of rules is that they are spoken, and written down clearly. Judges shouldn't be able to use personal preference and implication to mark a routine.

And on the gender thing: if a boy wants to fly, let him fly.

Last edited:
Is anyone else really bothered by the way the judge referred to an 'unspoken rule'? The whole point of rules is that they are spoken, and written down clearly. Judges shouldn't be able to make reference to personal preference and implication to mark a routine.

And on the gender thing: if a boy wants to fly, let him fly.

Yes. I think, no matter your opinion, you should replace the word "boy" with any other describing word and listen to how it sounds...(black, fat, ginger haired, etc). This topic makes me much more uncomfortable than seeing a male flyer.

Eta: OR replace "cheerleading" as the sport. "Seeing a girl play baseball is distracting."

I am a big fan of boys flying. I feel like you should be able to fly if you want no matter what gender you have. not all boys are big and muscular and to get more boys we need to see to all sizes of biys as we do with girls. Sure you can have the smaller boy tumble or be a front spot but i think if he can pull his weight and keep up with the girls he really should be able to fly. i do follow a few boys on instagram that has needles but dont fly. To me it really doesnt matter. Like if you have a boy that is small an stable in the air and hits all his stunts or a girl that also is small but she may not be as good of a flyer she may be falling all over the place.. should she fly just becase se is a girl??

I love watching male flyers.....but I have to agree that it is distracting; however, it should not be distracting to a trained judge. I personally know a young man who is on a notable worlds contending team that is flying this year and I haven't seen him perform as yet, but I can't wait. He is a power tumbler but very small and I am sure he can out stunt most flyers......
With all the inequility within our society today, this is one that we do not need.....Get rid of the "un-spoken rule" and let the boys play if they are good enough to do the job and do it well.

Yes. I think, no matter your opinion, you should replace the word "boy" with any other describing word and listen to how it sounds...(black, fat, ginger haired, etc). This topic makes me much more uncomfortable than seeing a male flyer.

Eta: OR replace "cheerleading" as the sport. "Seeing a girl play baseball is distracting."

Exactly. Perhaps if male flyers became a norm, they would not be looked at as a distraction. If every team had one male flyer, the judges' eyes would not be drawn to them. I am not saying that I think this should or will happen. Just that if this happened more often, it wouldn't be considered a distraction.

I think it is silly to "allow" male cheerleaders, but at the same time not "allow" them to fully participate in the sport as their female counterparts are.

Vizion's small coed 5 20/20 has a male flyer. As far as I know they;ve never once received any negative comments from a judge. He has flown his entire cheerleading career including on one of my teams senior year.
And he is a little beast of a Tumbler and Flyer may I add!! I was the exact same way when I was younger! I flew my entire cheerleading career from pee-wee rec until I cheered ioc5!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The issue I see here is that this judge is allowing their opinion to potentially affect the score of the routine. Whether or not a judge likes to see males in the air or not is 100% irrelevant. They are supposed to judge on difficulty, execution, and creativity of the skills. Who does them should never affect the score. If the boy is pulling the body positions just as well as the girls, then if that gym wants to do that... power to them.

Back