All-Star Boys Shouldn't Fly???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This kid I saw this weekend was actually really great. I'm not super critical, but I think he did as well as the other flyers.

Your eyes do go right to any boy that goes in the air - audiences love it. I see a boy even in a prep in the pyramid, or do a basket, it's one of the most memorable things of an entire competition for me - for instance, CP and I were in a huge convention hall watching the rest of a long comp after she was done competing - she was on the whole other side of the hall w/ her friends and I was sitting w/ the other parents - we watched many, many teams over the course of a couple hours. We finally meet back up to eat or something and the first thing we both say is "did you see that boy do a kick double in that one routine!". That's how memorable and exciting it is to see boy flyers.

I'm really disappointed to hear that judges might possibly see it as a negative thing :/.

As the mother of a male cheerleader, I respectfully agree with the judges. I've also heard that general comment before when coaches over the years have talked scoresheets with us so it's completely not a surprise to me at all.

Here's my take, male flyers are definitely unique and unusual...but that's what makes it distracting. I know for me, if I see a boy fly, I absolutely cannot take my eyes off of them, which means I'm not seeing the uniformity across the stunt groups since I can only focus on the one flyer. I think that's what they're talking about, because it's what happens to me (even if they're a great flyer, sometimes that makes it worse if they're showing up the girls body positions).

Probably not a popular opinion, I've seen some really talented and flexible boys, but it ends up being the only thing I watch, think about or remember in a routine and that's probably not a good thing for an overall score.

Not gonna lie- I am not a fan, either. This may sound weird, but for me I think a lot of the distraction is the uniform. I'm used to seeing a flyer's legs and the girls all looking similar up in the air in their uniforms. I don't like the way it looks to see those long (and usually baggy) uniform pants on a boy pulling body positions. Part of what makes him stand out so much is the fact that he's dressed so differently than everyone else.

My daughter flies and I don't even like to see her stunting in sweats. It just looks sloppy to me when flyers don't have on something short and tight. I'm not a fan of the capris, either. I guess I just like to be able to see their full legs when they're pulling body positions. Just a personal preference.

Not gonna lie- I am not a fan, either. This may sound weird, but for me I think a lot of the distraction is the uniform. I'm used to seeing a flyer's legs and the girls all looking similar up in the air in their uniforms. I don't like the way it looks to see those long (and usually baggy) uniform pants on a boy pulling body positions. Part of what makes him stand out so much is the fact that he's dressed so differently than everyone else.

My daughter flies and I don't even like to see her stunting in sweats. It just looks sloppy to me when flyers don't have on something short and tight. I'm not a fan of the capris, either. I guess I just like to be able to see their full legs when they're pulling body positions. Just a personal preference.

The uniform thing is what I think is distracting but if a team like cheertyme Nivarna had a boy fly no one would notice as much because their uniforms are so similar. This means that boys need to either wear tighter shorts or have a similar uniform to the girls which means no cutouts

I have heard that some judges do not like to see a boy as a flyer (with the exception of baskets). I am not sure if it has to do with the USASF guideline nonsense that came out a few years ago or not, but I do think that there are times that you will get "penalized" for it on the subjective part of the score sheet (not saying it is right).

What USASF stuff are you talking about?

I'm actually kind of surprised this is so split... i mean the fact he is a boy shouldn't matter in my opinion... i mean it may be a distraction but no more so than other things that come along with cheer.

I personally dont see this being any different than a boy tumbling across the mat during the stunts.. say they were to take him out and have him just tumble across the front..

Whenever I see tumbling during stunts I am super distracted by the running across the mat over the pyramid.
My problem with the judges comment is the way she chose to word it..it just sounds snarky

The uniform thing is what I think is distracting but if a team like cheertyme Nivarna had a boy fly no one would notice as much because their uniforms are so similar. This means that boys need to either wear tighter shorts or have a similar uniform to the girls which means no cutouts
No thank you. Guy uniforms are already a little weird and awkward, let's not make it worse.

No thank you. Guy uniforms are already a little weird and awkward, let's not make it worse.

Having a girls uniform the same as the guys isnt that difficult. I know a few gyms in the uk who the boys have the same top and wear shorts in the way of getting tighter shorts if a male wants to fly its looks more streamline or atleast wear tighter shorts under the baggy ones

Hmmmm not sure if the judges comment was appropriate - it sounds like a personal preference rather than a "national competition unspoken rule." But I do agree that it is distracting. I don't have a problem with boys in baskets (as long as it's a highlighted basket by itself) or in the pyramid where a strong flyer is needed. But Im really not a fan of seeing them flying in partner stunts and pulling body positions. Not only is it distracting and throws off the uniformity, I think the lines of girls body positions are so much better looking than boys. Pants take away from it as does the physical build of a male body vs a female body.

Also, if this is a youth or younger team, I REALLY don't think the comment was appropriate. Like who cares? It's youth, everything they do is cute. If it was a junior or senior team, an age where "cuteness" isn't a thing, then I think the boy would probably be better off someplace else. Like a front spot or something.

That's my personal opinion.

Having a girls uniform the same as the guys isnt that difficult. I know a few gyms in the uk who the boys have the same top and wear shorts in the way of getting tighter shorts if a male wants to fly its looks more streamline or atleast wear tighter shorts under the baggy ones
I thought most guys wore like compression shorts under baggy shorts when tumbling, etc.? I've never had a guy on my team, and I've never been close enough of a friend to anyone to ask, lol.

Back