High School Captain Tryout Cheer Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 3, 2011
Hey guys. This year I'm trying out for captain and my coach decided that all candiates have to make up a cheer and perform it in front of the team. Well, I CANNOT think of any words! Any help or suggestions are welcome!

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but since this cheer is for a captain position I highly suggest using your creativity to make up the cheer on your own. If you cannot be creative now, before you are even a captain, how will you possibly make up cheers/chants/routines/ideas for pep rallies/be creative to solve squad problems (and trust me, there are always lots of problems) if you do get the spot?

DO:
-think of your team's story, your story and your school's history. Are there traditions? Are there funny moments that made you bond as a team? Is there anything that makes your school unique?
-find inspiration from youtube, the web, rhyming dictionaries BUT DON'T COPY ANY exact lines/cheers/chants. That would be plagarism and would cheat you out of learning how to be creative even when you dont think you can be. It takes practice.
-Have fun with it. Your coach wants to see what YOU can come up with. She's not judging who is the better writer or rhymer. She wants to see who puts in the hard work, problem solving skills and creativity that a captain will need!

DON'T:
-sit in front of the computer, make a mash up of 3 already made cheers on the internet, and call it your own work.
-get overly frustrated trying to think something up.
-give up because you think you can't do it. If you put the effort and time in to it, you will be able to make something up. I promise!

Haha thanks at my school the captain doesn't make up stuff like that, we have an outside choreographer come in and do it!

Think about signs, even if you don't use them while showing it to your team. This is probably going to sound really UCAish, so get a little more creative!

C'mon fans, let's get loud
Yell B-E-ARS! B-E-ARS!
C'mon fans, yell it loud
Yell green and gold! Green and gold!
C'mon fans, one more time
Yell let's go bears!
Green and gold!

Kinda cheesy, but just an example of how it'd be good for games if you used the signs. People on the ground could have the 'Bears' signs and maybe push the sign forward the first time, the up the second time. Then, you could have two libs/extensions with green & gold signs and do the same. Then if your team had signs that said 'yell' really get those girls to work the crowd. Good luck!

Back