Cartwheel Question.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2012
Okay I'm going to sound a bit dumb here but does a cartwheel (no run or hurdle step into it) count as a standing or running tumble? I need to know for tryouts.

(you can tell tumbling is so my forte can't you?)

Thank you :)

Okay I'm going to sound a bit dumb here but does a cartwheel (no run or hurdle step into it) count as a standing or running tumble? I need to know for tryouts.
(you can tell tumbling is so my forte can't you?)

Thank you :)

The USASF glossary says:
Running Tumbling

Tumbling that is performed with a running start and/or involves a step or a hurdle (etc,) used to gain momentum as an entry to another skill. Any type of forward momentum/movement prior to execution of the tumbling skill(s) is defined as "running tumbling."

and
Standing Tumbling

A tumbling skill (series of skills) performed from a standing position without any previous forward momentum. Any number of steps backward prior to execution of tumbling skill(s) is defined as "standing tumbling."

(but doesn't mention in the cartwheel definition whether that specifically is counted as standing or running).

I'm not sure now, because I would have said running, because a cartwheel in front of a pass makes it a running pass (I think), but just on its own I'm now a bit confused... Maybe email your coach?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

At level 1 most running tumbling I've ever seen at a comp starts with a round off - standing with a back walk over.

Is this for school or all-star?

I ask because if you only have a cartwheel you're more then likely looking at a level 1 team, in which case most gyms will teach you what you need to learn and progress.

Thanks for the replies :)
Basically, try outs at my current allstar team are on Sunday, and we had the workshop last night where you learn the try out dance, jumps and decided what tumbles we were going to show.
We are required to have at least one running and one standing tumble! As you can tell my tumbling is pretty limited but I didn't really want to show a forwards roll, so wondered if a cartwheel would count as a standing tumble? I think I could get away with it if I start in a lunge maybe? All this hassle for a level 1 tumble skill sorry!

I ask because if you only have a cartwheel you're more then likely looking at a level 1 team, in which case most gyms will teach you what you need to learn and progress.
I'm in England and our tumbling isn't really up to US standards yet so I'm lucky I can get by on at least a level 2 team! This is my 8th year of cheer and I haven't really progressed tumble wise as I have a lot of fear which I can't seem to get over so it takes me quite a while to master new skills unfortunately!

Thanks again :)

I believe they are considered standing. I was at a competition where one of my old coaches was a judge (high school comp, she was judging the JV teams) and she told me that the reason a certain Varsity team took second instead of first was because the judges considered their cartwheel tucks to be standing tumbling, not running. Therefore, they had no other running tumbling in their routine so they didn't get points for it. Hope that somehow helps!

Back