All-Star Cea Team Announcements For 2012-2013 Kernersville

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

DJ

Dec 14, 2009
I saw Courtney's tweet and instantly thought of this scene...

Courtney Smith-Pope (@CourtSmithPope)
5/21/12 10:15 PM
CEA "team selection" bid night tomorrow at 6:30 pm at "the bridge" church 1/2 mile from the Kville gym. A personal touch .. Done the CEA way

Whoah, you might not like her... but you cant deny it, Courtney Popes got style. Ceacoach

I saw that tweet. I don't get it. Do All the people that tried out go to this church and they get announced and called up for whatever team they made kind of like the NFL draft?

I saw that tweet. I don't get it. Do All the people that tried out go to this church and they get announced and called up for whatever team they made kind of like the NFL draft?
According to Courtney's FB post, there will be envelopes with each athlete's name on it that includes their team and practice dates/times. The staff will be there to answer any quetsions people may have on team placements.

According to Courtney's FB post, there will be envelopes with each athlete's name on it that includes their team and practice dates/times. The staff will be there to answer any quetsions people may have on team placements.

Do these kids at least know they're going to be on a level 5 team? If I got an envelope saying I was on Senior 4 or something, I'd be kind of pissed. I would rather find that out at home on my computer.

I don't know CSP, never met anyone from CEA in person, but even I know that if there's an opportunity to create a heartfelt moment, a little something something, that touch to make the kids feel extra special and to record that moment perfectly with a country song played over slow motion video… she'll be all over it. And then she'll add to that perfection by writing eloquently about it a week later. Not to detract from other gyms, but this seems to be CSP's and CEA's trademark. For the vast majority of kids I bet this is going to be amazing and the start of a beautiful new tradition.

I don't know CSP, never met anyone from CEA in person, but even I know that if there's an opportunity to create a heartfelt moment, a little something something, that touch to make the kids feel extra special and to record that moment perfectly with a country song played over slow motion video… she'll be all over it. And then she'll add to that perfection by writing eloquently about it a week later. Not to detract from other gyms, but this seems to be CSP's and CEA's trademark. For the vast majority of kids I bet this is going to be amazing and the start of a beautiful new tradition.

And for some kids, its going to be horrible and a nightmare. Not that I think people shouldn't celebrate victory, but some kids are going to be upset that they didn't make a certain team or level. Yes, you can argue that life isn't fair and kids need to learn this, but its alot easier to learn it in the privacy of their own home than out in front of 200 of their closest peers.

That's why I thought it was some "draft-ish" kind of thing. If they're just picking up packets it seems like they wouldn't need a separate space.

With over 280 athletes plus their parents, our gym just can't hold to that capacity and have a meaningful productive meeting. If I had to guess she will give an overview of how teams were selected, skills needed to make that team and handing out team information as far as skills camps dates, possible travel schedule, etc.

She always does parent team meetings every year at this time by new team. So, it will be the same information just done in a different setting.

Each kid will have an envelope with their name on it and inside they will get their team placement.

Do these kids at least know they're going to be on a level 5 team? If I got an envelope saying I was on Senior 4 or something, I'd be kind of pissed. I would rather find that out at home on my computer.
I believe this is for all the kids, not just level 5. I think it's actually a really cool idea, coming from a coaching stand point. You're always trying to find new ways to connect with your athletes, make it more heartfelt. The staff is there to answer any team placement questions and the lists will also be posted online if people don't want to attend. I think if they did it for only the Level 5 teams it would look like that's all they care about, and it doesn't seem that's the case. But you have the staff right there to answer any questions about why you made that team.

And for some kids, its going to be horrible and a nightmare. Not that I think people shouldn't celebrate victory, but some kids are going to be upset that they didn't make a certain team or level. Yes, you can argue that life isn't fair and kids need to learn this, but its alot easier to learn it in the privacy of their own home than out in front of 200 of their closest peers.

Whether its done in a pool, church, backyard, theme park, spaceship or wherever, I don't think it will make it any easier. Your on the team she selected and go from there. My personal opinion, I think the way she is doing it is phenomenal. I'm thinking of suggesting that she gets Ryan Seacrest next year to hold the announcement!! Im just kidding!! But I do like what she is doing!!

The more I ruminate on this the more I like it. I imagine coaches would be aware of the athletes that might be disappointed with team placement and will keep an eye out for them, ready to swoop down with a hug, an explanation and a way to make them feel important to their team even if it wasn't the one they had their heart set on. Similar to CA making personal phone calls to all athletes. They both handle an extraordinary amount of athletes and appear to make each one feel recognised and loved. Kudos to those with a vision.

Back