Cheer + Another Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
I didn't really think it fit in all-star or random so here it is.

Do you play any other sports (besides school/rec. cheer) along with all-star cheer?
If so...how does your all-star gym feel about this?

I did lax and cheer at the same time when I was younger. At this time I was also at a small gym and competed through those years level 2-5. They were extremely supportive and actually encouraged duel sports to anyone on their teams who wished to do so. I know another girl or 2 played softball during the season. Are there other gyms like my old one?

I played field hockey, and did both indoor and outdoor track during high school. Along with cheer. In middle and elementary school I played volleyball, basketball and softball were added (all rec, we didn't have school sports at that level) along with cheer as well. I was gone from 6am-10pm most nights, with at least 5 hours of sports after school. I learned time management at a very early age, which I've found to be very beneficial in college and now grad school. I sacrificed more school sports to go to cheer practices and comps, and most of my coaches were okay with it. If I had I was late to a cheer practice, it wasn't very late at all, I was already warmed up so that usually worked out fine. Once I got my all-star schedule, I gave it to my school coaches and we worked things out. I love field hockey, and actually played in college for 2 years, and I coach and ref now. I couldn't imagine just doing one sport and having all that 'free' time lol.

i've done gymnastics, ballet, jazz, tap, kung fu, volleyball, field hockey and currently belly dancing all while doing cheer :)

I played softball one season, and my coaches were really supportive! Even those days when I would come to practice in my uniform after a game, all covered in dirt and what not, lol.
I also did high school cheer freshman year, while I was already on 2 teams at my gym...good gosh that was awful.too much cheer!
My coaches hated that I had to miss practice for games all through out the year, and my high school coaches hated me missing friday night games every now and again to drive to a national competition.
I would encourage not to do to teams of the same sport (i.e. HS cheer and AS)...the coaches compare things too much...
but two different sports is so funn!

I play ice hockey! I've actually played for 12 years and only cheered for 5. Most people at my gym don't even know I play. But my hockey coach's daughter goes to my school so he always goes to our football games and gets to see me cheer! He's really supportive and understands when I miss practice for cheer.

I've never done cheer and another sport at the same time.

I've done soccer and dance at the same time, then dance and softball, then I quit them all for cheer. :)

Back